SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azzalea_gw

Anyone Still Watching Sister Wives?

azzalea
12 years ago

I have to admit, I've kept up with it, and find myself torn.

On the one hand, my personal belief is that polygamy is wrong, and that I would never allow myself to be in that situation. And of course, the situations where the polygamists/pedophiles are marrying underage girls, where fathers are giving their daughters to their friends, where young boys are abandoned in the dessert to reduce the need for the women are beyond appalling.

However, I'm finding myself more and more sympathetic with the family on Sister Wives. Morals are, in many cases, subjective, a matter of opinion if you will. These folks have mostly been raised in the polygamist lifestyle, it's supported by their church, so it can't feel 'wrong' to them. Also, they were ALL adults, all entered into the marriage with free will. The children seem to be very well taken care of, and seem to be good, loving kids.

It seems that, if they aren't hurting anyone else, they should have the right to follow their own path. The one thing I'm really not sure about is this--are they collecting welfare? That's often the case with polygamist families, since only the first marriage is legal, the other wives often get on the public dole. That would be the one iffy situation for me.

But then, even if they are collecting welfare--aren't they still better than the serial sperm donars in society to run around, impregnating the booty call of the day, then disappearing to find their next conquest--leaving the unwed mothers to fend as best as they can with welfare, food stamps, liheap, etc. Cody is there for his kids, he's doing his best for them, providing love, guidance and discipline, and safety.

It seems really, REALLY unfair that these good people are being persecuted (and possibly prosecuted) by the authorities who don't bother with the guy who is just flitting from girl to girl. I hope they find a place of peace and happiness--they seem like nice and fun people, who I'd enjoy having for friends.

What have your thoughts been? And have they changed (mine certainly have) during the span of the show?

Comments (12)