SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jen18e

Need Advice - we can't make up our minds

jen18e
13 years ago

This is a weird deal for us. As a family we've moved 5 times, so we are not strangers to dealing with realtors. Usually we interview 2 or 3 tops, and find someone we really like.

But over the past few weeks, we've interviewed seven realtors, and we still are not happy with our choices to list our home.

I've been reading a lot of the posts, especially regarding the services that people get from their listing agents. It seems that most of you are in areas where the realtors are accustomed to doing more than just putting a sign out front and listing on the MLS. But of the realtors we've spoken to, none of them seems to be able to tell us what else they would do to market our home. I have asked each of them this question, and the best answer I got is, "Well, I know all of the other realtors working this area..."

But there were no other specific ideas about how to market the house, even when we specifically ask for them.

Two of the agents we called gave us values for our home over the phone without ever seeing it. They were both the exact lowest value on zillow, that has a value range of $70,000 bewteen low and high values for our home. They said they don't need to see it to value it...

They have weird ideas, too. One of them insists he needs a 12 month contract?! His rationale - "Our office is averaging 10-12 months for a sale."

Another told us we should buy another home and move out so this one can be shown 24/7. She insists it will only take 3 months to sell our home...

We were considering it, and the Buyer's agent who is showing us possible new homes told us that is "nuts" - she thinks it will take at least 6 months, and not to take any listing agent who does not list on realtor.com, because she says that is really important. But none of the listing agents we spoke to seem to agree with her.

In addition, two insist that we accept dual-agency, which our lawyer told us is a terrible idea.

The last agent who tried to talk us into agreeing to dual-agency told us that of course she would looking out for our interests first, which seems a pretty strange statement, since a dual-agent serves both parties.

We are thinking now of listing it ourselves, and offering a commission to the buyer's agents, maybe a half-percent over normal for the area? We aren't sure if that would attract more agents or not. But we could sure use any advice!

Comments (14)