SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

Quartzite Bianca Problem - advice please

sochi
14 years ago

I'm finally getting around to posting the pics of our quartzite bianca (Luce di Luna) problem. Here is the story: the kitchen is 90% finished. The quartzite is gorgeous. We have two runs, a 14' foot and a 7' peninsula that runs off the end of the 14' run. The 10' foot run on the opposite wall is in stainless steel.

I knew there would be two seams. The fabricator knew I wanted the pieces to match up well (it is a very linear, striated stone). The seam on the 14' run is rather obviously located on a long, open part of the run (we were told that we had no choice with seam location given the amount we needed and the size of our slab - this is probably more or less true). The fabricator clearly tried to get the two pieces to match up well - from the striation perspective, it is a good match. BUT, the colour of the slab gradually moves from a white grey at the top to a greyer grey at the bottom. Unfortunately, I now have this light colour right next to the darker colour, with a not so great seam between them (the other seam on the peninsula is fine).

The colour difference is very, very apparent as you look at the counter. The rest of the kitchen is near perfect, to my mind anyway. This is such a disappointment.

Luckily perhaps, the fabricator screwed up on our peninsula edge. My cabinet maker is installing a 15" walnut counter that will run flush with the quartzite on the peninsula. They finished it poorly and have to remove the peninsula piece of the counter and the smaller "greyer" piece on my main run and re-do the edge properly. They will try to improve the seam, but don't think they can do much re: the colour match - they don't believe that the remnants of my slab will be a better match. They are coming next week to remove the two pieces and repair their mistakes.

My options are to hope for a better seam and live with it - perhaps the eye won't be so drawn to the difference once the back splash is up. Another option is to buy another slab, from the identical section of the stone, and get them to use the whiter, top part of the slab to match with my long run. While this option would solve my problem, it would also cost a fortune and be wasteful.

Anyway, pics below, I welcome all opinions and suggestions. Thanks. (I haven't really set anything up properly, ignore the stuff out on the counter)

First, a few pics showing how lovely the stone is:

The problem they are correcting: the two pieces are not aligned properly at the peninsula seam:

And here is my real problem:

Comments (20)