SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmy1022

White macaubus quartzite: STAINED!!

emmy1022
6 years ago

Hi everyone,

I’m new here and really hoping someone can help me. We renovated our kitchen last Nov and splurged on a white macaubus quartzite countertop for a new center island; within only a few months (by Feb), we noticed that all the edges of the counter were stained. Pics are below. It did not look like this at install.

Has anyone seen staining like this before in this type of quartzite?? Did you find a solution? It is worse (darker, wider) around the sink but it also goes all the way around, wherever it was cut (even the cutting board, cut from the same slab, has this staining on it now).

We do know that it is NOT a water stain. Our builder and the fabricator were working together for a while to figure out what it was, and they were able to rule out water. I also talked to the distributor, who said it looked like the “ager” that would’ve been applied to the edges when it was cut -- but the fabricator says they did not use an ager. (They also said it’s not silicone seeping through.) Fabricator is also distancing themselves from us now. :(

Our builder is willing to perform some sort of vacuum process on the edges which should suck out the stain and then they will reseal everything. We are hopeful this will work. BUT, since we don’t know what caused this, even if we can clear it up we’re worried it will just happen again.

Please help? And thanks so much if you read this far!

Comments (61)

• R S
    6 years ago

What ended up happening? My friend had the exact same thing happen! All along the edges! What kind of edge did you get on your counters?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

R S:

Go to stonefabricatorsalliance.com General section and look up this thread and pictures, please.

• Related Discussions

Dolce Vita or White Macaubus Quartzite Anyone??

Q

Comments (17)
    @Imp1959 What color are your cabinets? My cabinets are - I say cream, but they really aren't cream. The cabinet maker described the color as a warm sandy blonde with a hazelnut glaze. One of my friends said vanilla. Neutral stones like Taj Mahal pull gray, others are too white. Plus, I have a brick floor that changed everything. Not what I planned. It's now the quarantine rustic kitchen, but I will make it work.
    ...See More

White or Calcutta Macaubus Quartzite etch?

Q

Comments (4)
    I feel your pain. Probably spent 4 months agonizing over quartzite. Eventually went with a couple of very nice slabs of Madre Perola quartzite, which have been absolutely bullet proof after 9 months. No stains and no etches. My husband even used Windex on it!!!...no etches. It took me a long time to track down the info I needed to be comfortable with the decision, but the Gardenweb community came through with the info I needed. I've attached a link to one of my threads with some White Princess info. Good luck. Here is a link that might be useful: Quartzite info
    ...See More

White Macaubus and Sea Pearl quartzite

Q

Comments (5)
    Don't judge it in broad daylight. Will look different inside your home. I know someone with white macaubus counters and they have a definite bluish/grayish cast to them. But the overall feel in their space is light and bright. It's on a gray island next to perimeter cabs painted white with dark counters. All the sea pearl I saw when I was looking had a greenish cast to it. They were all indoors if that matters. They are both gorgeous stones but I think the white macaubus goes a bit better with your tile choices according to what I'm seeing in your photo.
    ...See More

White Macaubus Quartzite darker at install??

Q

Comments (19)
    It was already darker at the fabricator’s shop, after the years of being stored outside, when I went to template. So before I saw them at install. The lighting in the kitchen is all new, LED, 3000K daylight, so nice and white. Definitely different lighting than when I bought them at the stone yard, but it’s brighter and whiter lighting at my house, which I would think would make it whiter looking. I feel like the years outside must have changed them. It’s puzzling. I wonder if some of the stone experts have any ideas...
    ...See More
  • Chessie
    6 years ago

https://forum.stonefabricatorsalliance.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26044&start=50

That is the link to the thread. A shame the OP did not come back and post the resolution here.

• R S
    6 years ago
    Thank you Joseph Corlett and Chess! Acetone! I will send my friend the link, her White Macaubus counters look identical to the OP’s.
  • junebugmama12
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

@R S: was acetone the solution for your friend? Our counters are 2 years old but we are now experiencing the same issue, same stone! Did she do an overnight soak? ANY and all information on how to solve this is welcome!

• rob_jc4
    5 years ago

any resolution here?

• junebugmama12
    5 years ago
    I have done about 3 acetone treatments. The darkening has disappeared in about 25% of the affected areas and significantly lightened in the others. I am in the midst of my fourth application now. Interestingly the areas that have responded the best to the acetone are those along the ogee stepped edge. It’s the top of the island that is the most stubborn.

I also picked up some stone tech oil remover. My plan is to use that in the stubborn areas and see what happens. Hopefully, issue will be resolved sometime next week. The next step will be having a professional come out and re-seal all surfaces and edges with a silicone based sealant.

Current state of my island:
  • rob_jc4
    5 years ago

Wow, good luck! I just ordered some of the stone tech stuff too. Suppose to have a degreaser in it. Please keep me updated...

• junebugmama12
    5 years ago
    Thanks - you too! Please let me know if stone tech is affective. I am assuming your having same issue with white macaubus?
  • rob_jc4
    5 years ago

No not the same as yours yet, but they’ve only been in a couple weeks. I do have a couple of mysterious stains and we have no idea how they got there.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

junebugmomma12:

Very nice work.

• TJW
    5 years ago

Love that I'm learning all this before we order our slab and choose a fabricator! I better understand the "fix" but in trying to prevent . . . wasn't silicone one of the causes? The wrong adhesive and wrong silicone? I found the "non-bleeding" adhesive . . . but what is the "right" kind of silicone? Emmy, June, Rob, etc . . . so sorry you've had to deal with this. Thank you for sharing and HUGE thanks to all the wonderful helpers!

• Donna E
    5 years ago

Holy cow all this expensive material and people have to deal with these problems?!!!

• emmy1022
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am the OP and had no idea anyone was commenting on this thread until Houzz just inexplicably emailed me the last two comments tonight (so to the poster Chess who said shame on me for not responding again... huh?). But thank you Joseph Cortlett for sharing the SFA thread. An update since that thread (in which staining was resolved) is that the staining RETURNED within a few months. We figure we can go the same route again to fix it but it will likely keep returning. Very disappointing. Not sure why - I just keep hearing it can be very porous. If we could do it again we wouldn’t pick this stone even though it is gorgeous! Good luck to everyone.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

emmy1022" (so to the poster Chess who said shame on me for not responding again... huh?). "

Ummm...you might want to reread what I actually said. (THAT^^ was not it.)

That really SUCKS that the issue returned. :-( BUt certainly a good thing for others to be aware of this issue if they are considering white macaubus quartzite.

• emmy1022
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Junebugmama - my counter looked exactly like yours during the fix... it worked after about 4 tries. We were elated. And a huge thanks to the SFA guys because they were wonderful with their advice. Sadly, despite careful resealing after the staining was gone, it came back. :( I will post current pics in a minute.

• emmy1022
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• rob_jc4
    5 years ago

We have had our quartzite for a bout 6 months now. It is pourous when it comes to oils. Most other things don’t soak up that quickly. We are just diligent about wiping our counters off when Stuff gets on them And haven’t really had any trouble. The oil and stain removing product Stonetech can get out old stubborn stains (we successfully used it on some stains that were already on the stone when installed, while fresh oil stains can be removed by placing a piece of folded paper towel on the stain and pouring some acetone over it. Usually takes a few times but it works. With all that said, our installer uses some silicone in the corners to fill the cracks and that has bled out as pictured. im removing the silicone and replacing with some caulk that doesn’t bleed but regardless it seems to be oils that are the culprit when it comes to this stone (Sorry the pic is rotated)

• rob_jc4
    5 years ago

For some reason pic won’t show up, but it’s a similar darkening appearance along the corners where the two slabs meet.

• newsouthernbelle
    4 years ago

emmy1022 -

I read through your posts at SFA forum and figured you were on Houzz too... so to confirm you did the acetone treatment, if fixed it, you sealed it and then a few months later the staining came back?!?!?! What sealer did you use? Thank you for sharing your experience.

As I shared in my question to JuneBugMama, I'm asking b/c 1. I am starting to have a small amount of staining (7 months after install) and I am wondering if I could have prevented it in the first place, now how to treat it/prevent it from getting worse and ideally how to keep it from ever happening again. It sounds like the last part is the most difficult. I am wondering if yearly application of a impregnator sealer might be the key. Have you chosen to 'just live with it'? I have to admit, at this point, mine is not that noticeable or bad. I only noticed because I was aware quartzite can do this - (thanks to the gardenweb kitchen forum - I am a pre-Houzz member) but no 'normal' person would have ever seen it.

• emmy1022
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi there! So yes, you're correct... we did the treatment, it worked, we sealed... and it came back. I'm sorry, I don't know what sealer was used b/c our fabricator did it for us. I think we could go through the acetone treatment again and fix it but we kind of figure why bother/live with it. Luckily it is a busy slab (cool lines throughout) and the staining is not THAT noticeable. It came back at the sink edges primarily. Interestingly it did NOT come back -- or at least way less than it was originally -- around the other edges. It is a gorgeous stone but I would've selected another kind had I know about this, only b/c of the expense... Oh and we did ask about impregnator sealer back when this was first going on and I can't remember the response but they did not recommend doing that. Good luck to you!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

As. a former Corian fabricator, I can't imagine selling a product with such staining problems. It seems that in their quest for hard and shiny, there is no suitability standard too low for the natural stone industry.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

Here's the thing. Once your stone has reacted to the additives in the epoxy and accellerator used in the fabrication process there is no coming back. And there is no way to predict which will react. But it happens shortly after install. So if you get that demand replacement.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Accelerator bleed can be removed permanently from natural stone occasionally.

• newsouthernbelle
    4 years ago

Joseph - Is an accelerator bleed one caused by silicone or caulk? Or is that one that is caused by machinery used to cut/hone/smooth/polish/whatever the stone? How can it be removed - acetone with papertowels? Thanks!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

None of the above. It is used to speed up the cure of cyanurate (super glue). Oven cleaner will sometimes remove the green bloom it causes.

• Tracy Hogue
    3 years ago

Thank you for sharing. I too experienced this as we had our choice beautiful quartzite I stalled with water stains, splotches about 6-7 that are not of the natural stone. I am going to fabricator today. I learned this could be from the machine process. QUESTION: Could this be from hard water sitting on the stone after the process and pooling being wiped off??

• Tracy Hogue
    3 years ago

After reviewing it seems it is a fabrication issue and reaction of stone. Even as people say quartzite is impervious, it’s not. It maybe reacted with epoxy in fab process? Our quartzite was Mont Blanc. Beautiful. I am now asked to pick another stone. I dislike all this fabricators options. It may be another purchase form another distributor. uggh

• focused
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Quartzite has serious discolouration problems, marble is too porous to consider for a kitchen application, granite's patterns, other than black, are not particularly attractive and look dated, (at least in my opinion), quartz marble patterns look fake, (again, in my opinion) and porcelain can have chipping issues, (not an opinion because I have seen it), so what is left besides a solid colour quartz or Corian?

Are there any fabricators out there who can recommend a reliable, non-problematic and elegant looking stone? My black granite has lasted in perfect condition for 22 years with virtually no maintenance, but I am moving and want something different and modern for the condo. I tested a sample of quartzite called Pegasus, (could be a made-up name by the distributor), which is mainly white with soft grey markings and a lot of crystals. While the substances, which included Marsala wine, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and Dawn blue coloured dish soap left no stains, even after being left on overnight, mild etching appeared. I don't know if honing is a solution because that may leave the stone less protected against staining, even if it obscures the etching.

Is there a panacea out there?

• suzyq53
    3 years ago

Maybe not White Macaubus but a different quartzite with a leathered finish. My Taj is leathered and there is some etching but nothing glaringly obvious and it doesn't stain at all. You have to be okay with a certain patina over time.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

This discussion started in 2017.... looks like a continual challenge on many levels

• focused
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi, Suzyq53, is your Taj Mahal quartzite very light and creamy or a darker "honey" tone, for lack of a better word to describe it? I am looking for something on the creamy side. I found one a couple days ago that is lighter than some I have seen, although not quite as light as I'd like it to be. I am considering it. How long have you had yours? Did you put a special sealer on it or just what the fabricators use normally?

I was also strongly considering Mont Blanc, which by the way I have found to be shockingly different from distributor to distributor.

The fact that this discussion has been ongoing on more than one thread for a few years running, is quite disconcerting. It certainly doesn't give one confidence to pay the price for quartzite with these potential issues hanging over one's head.

• suzyq53
    3 years ago

It's creamy with gray and a few golden strands.. I've had it for about 5 years. I'm not sure if it was sealed before they installed it, but I have never sealed it. Here's a picture. Maybe if you enlarge it you will get a better idea. It's the leather finish that hides everything.

Encinitas Kitchen · More Info

• emmy1022
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi all - I'm the original poster and now three years later, we still have the same problem, especially around the sink. It's a HUGE bummer. But luckily we are moving soon so when we renovate the new kitchen we will NOT be using white macaubus quartzite. :( We did find that using acetone via soaked paper towels around the edges (and then sealed under plastic wrap for approx 48 hours) does help to lighten the stains... but they always come back. The countertop really is beautiful -- but definitely a waste of money in our case. Now I'm wondering what non-granite island top is ideal these days instead of a light quartzite, and a bit scared to make the wrong choice twice.

• Ginger Ambron
    3 years ago

My opaque sky quartzite is having the same issue. I had it installed 2 months ago and it’s never appeared to “dry” around the faucet holes. I’m pretty upset since this slab was so expensive. The first pic is right after install. The 2nd is from today after the fabricators 3rd attempt to fix it.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Were the faucet holes drilled on site or at the shop? If shop drilled, your stone was injected with an onslaught of high-pressure water which may explain why it's not fading like the rest.

Two months without a faucet? That's criminal.

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

Following

• Linda Sweeney-Maribito
    3 years ago

We have the same problem all over our counters. I am so mad. it has been a couple of years. The same fabricator is coming here to install a small kitchen downstairs and we are going to show them. They came by other day to do measurements and said it is definitely the chemical treated when they do the edging. Now, what are they going to do about it. He suggested adding the rest of same chemical to all over and have the counters be darker.!1! What! Not happening and that is their solution? I am awaiting their arrival this morning to deal with it. Nothing from what I read is going to fix it and why should I settle to go with a darker counter when that color is not want I wanted. So mad!

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

Same here. I havent called my fabricator yet but I’m not optimistic. Can’t be water because the other side of the island with no water, is discolored as well.

• choksi
    3 years ago

Hi All,

I have a similar staining problem as what is described in this thread. From what I discern, I may have to live with the issue. Typically, I seal the stone once or twice a year. Should I be sealing over the stain? It seems that it would trap the stain but at the same time I do not want the stain to get worse. Any insight?

Thanks

• skigirl308
    7 months ago

@choksi, did you decide to seal over or wait? Thanks in advance.

• Stephanie G
    5 months ago

I had this exact problem (but not with white macaubus, we have royal quartzite [white with blue veining]) -- over-time water staining on the edges (and not even sure why, not close to the sink/water). I contacted our fabricators and they said to use a poultice and then we should be resealing 2x/yr. I found this website and this technique worked great! No more water stains! It's time consuming and takes a few days to dry completely but the edge water stains and the oil/grease stains around the stove are gone, on the first go around! Here is the link to the instructions. I hope this is helpful and maybe even hopeful that yours will clear up too! Waiting for it to completly dry and then will reseal per fabricators instructions. good luck! https://francinimarble.com/Portals/0/PDF/Quartzite-Care-Guide.pdf

• PRO
    Astonia Stone Artisans
    5 months ago

Bravo! Great care and maintenance sheet

• emmy1022
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Hi all, this is the OP again.

Just thought I'd update here again since we are still light-colored quarzite counter owners! (I get email notices when this thread becomes active, which it has this week...).

So after the white macaubus staining problems we had 6 years ago when I first started this thread, we happened to move to a new house two years ago -- and we again bought a light quartzite countertop (after MUCH debate b/c I was nervous for the same issue to occur of course). We bought Perla Bianca this time. And we only agreed to do it b/c we used a very professional new fabricator who guaranteed/warranted the new counter (they did not expect there to be any issues).

A year later, SAME PROBLEM happened. Staining around the edges. Fabricator was shocked. We were not worried b/c they said all along if they could not get the stains out, they would give us a new counter. (GREAT COMPANY!!) They looked into the issue for us, spoke with distributors, reps, etc., and reassured us that they would get to the bottom of whatever was going on...

***So they said they learned through their research that it is becoming an unfortunate trend to inject the stone with some kind of lightening/bleaching agent since so many people are requesting LIGHT colored quartzite. And that this compromises the stone (makes it more pourous I think he said?). I'm not sure when this happens or who does this -- at the quarry, or once it gets to the distributor? Disclaimer: I'm no expert on this part, just passing along what I was told! ;)

So our fabricator was able to work with the distributor (who agreed their batch must have been compromised) and we selected a new slab from a new batch of Perla Bianca. The fabricator then did all kinds of treatments to it when they cut it, and even delayed install here twice to ensure it was 100% dried out before sealing and delivering it, etc. We told them to take as long as they needed, ha.

We have now had the NEW counter (so, our third quartzite between the two houses) for another year and are having zero issues with it. No staining at all. The fabricator did say they had one other install last year with the same issues we'd had, but that otherwise they install quartzite all the time with no problems.

So... maybe we were just vey unlucky and got two slabs that had been compromised with a lightener? I would just say buyer beware for sure -- and if you are working without a warrantied slab or do not have an ethical and professional fabricator who is willing to work with you if problems arise, I would definitely NOT choose a light quartzite. It's a happy ending here for us, but also a lot of drama and effort and stress along the way. Hope this is helpful!

• skigirl308
    5 months ago

@Stephanie G, thanks for this resource!

And @emmy1022, what an ordeal! So glad that you had a decent company to deal with at your new home. Very interesting information. Thank you for sharing!!

• camaro1972ah
    4 months ago

If its a help I have the same problem. I work with a stonemason/ sculptor and he looked inot it. he reckons when they cut the slabs at the factory and polish they use a resin that makes it very stain resistant. BUT when you cut the edges to fit , even though they get polished again , the resin is now gone so staining gets in here which seems to tally with the stain damage we see. I had a stained sample that I treated a lot with acetone and other products , wierdly it helped a bit but was left at my workshop. Now several months later the staining on that sample is all but gone. Maybe the dust in the woodworlkshop somehow further dries it out? as well as not being in a wet/ greasy environement

• HU-189314940
    2 months ago

I have the exact same problem and my fabricator is blaming me for getting oil oo cleaning products on it. I'm beyond upset and still doing research. His suggestion was for me to buy new slab and he'll fabricate it at no charge. WTF!?! I already paid thru the nose! Beyond disappointed!

• skigirl308
    2 months ago

@HU-189314940, you should show him this thread and specifically what Emmy1022’s company did to make things right. Sorry you’re dealing with this!

• emmy1022
    Original Author
    2 months ago

OP here With our first experience with this issue, our builder said the same to us too - that it must be our cleaning products, or that I was cooking with animal fat (and what, rubbing it evenly along all edges of the counter? don’t think so). I don't think he was intentionally misleading us; I think he genuinely couldn't understand why this would happen. But he wasn't willing to work with me to replace the slab either.

When it happened again with the new slab in our new house, this time we were prepared. The new fabricator took responsibility, as did the supplier where we‘d bought the slab. We were so grateful.

Maybe show the fabricstor this thread? Clearly this is a common problem with light quartzites…