SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sudimari

fabric questions from beginner

sudimari
15 years ago

Well, my quilting class starts tomorrow. I am a mix of excited and nervous. I think I have about everything I need, except (amazingly enough!) FABRIC! The class list highly recommends cotton. I don't have any cotton fabric in large enough amounts to do this quilt. I have a basic white that will do for the back, I'm pretty sure. What I have in large enough portions is the faux suede type of stuff. I'll attach some pics. Do I really need to work solely with cotton for my first quilt? The pattern is a nine patch...their example is in grey and black...not all that appealing to me, but maybe with some colors it will liven up? Anyway it will only be baby quilt size so the cats will probably get it as a sunning bed.

This one I might not have enough, but maybe if I pull out all the scrap pieces I have...

{{!gwi}}

This I definitely have enough for either of the colors...but again its kind of suede or velvety or whatever.

{{!gwi}}

This one the color is actually a sage green...again same texture as above.

{{!gwi}}

This is a lighter, almost batik or gauzy type feel...its really hard to see but it has a flower pattern embroidered on it...but I don't have anything to use with it color wise.

{{!gwi}}

Joann's opens at 9:00 tomorrow...so I could possibly go buy cotton fabric (although I really can't afford it). Class starts at 10:00 at another store...and they don't open till 10:00 so I don't know if I'll have time to find fabric there before they start.

Thanks for feedback/suggestions!

Suz

Here is a link that might be useful: Beginning Nine Patch Quilt

Comments (10)