SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roco0101

I have a kinda dumb question

roco0101
13 years ago

I have been a "home owner" since about 1970. Military means moving a lot. You buy a house, you sell a house then you buy another house. I just left a key with the RA and went on to work. They sold with no hassle. Obviously, this was before the bubble burst.

I've been much more stable for the last many years. My question is the "staging" process. I know all the "do's" and "do nots". Every RA I've worked with has explained it to me....I get it. But......

The last house I sold, I was trashed with the notes left at the house at the realator agent showing. "Too much stuff. Get rid of it. Paint those green ceilings. Get rid of all the personal stuff." Yeah, like I HAVE a place to put it. I'm moving out of state.

The house was on the market for 4 days, had 4 bids and one guy bid $10,000 over the asking price to ensure he got the house.

When I bought this house, the original owner, who was house sitting for a couple across the street, came over to introduce herself and was amazed at what I'd done with the place. "I would like to bring my kids (adults) over to see that this place really CAN be a home."

I had a pet sitter who I think spent more time taking pictures of the place than feeding/peeing/pooping/loving on pups. Her house now sorta looks like mine. LOL

I had the house appraised for a 2nd. The guy did his thing, gave us the paperwork and said, "What ever you do, sell this house lived in." Okie dokie.

It's a basic tract house in the 'burbs. You walk in, you think you're in a cabin in the mountains.

I had a cabin in the mountains that I put on the market, had the usual yadda, yadda, yadda from the agent to get rid of this, take that out, for god's sake, remove that. It was a freakin' 40 year old rustic cabin. If I take all that stuff out, it's gonna look like a 40 year old cabin. Before I could get up there the next weekend to do his bidding, there was an offer on the cabin. The wife walked in the front door and said, "I want this place." It was on the market for a week.....in this economy for a second home. ???????

I guess my question is what is with this "staging"? If I "stage" my home, it's gonna look like every model home you've ever seen in this neighborhood or most of this 'burb. They're all the same.

I think I have it made on different...."Peeps, dogs and kids really live here. You can too."

I really hated this house "staged" when I first looked at it but I bought the place for the backyard (job transfer - I had one week to find a place to live). I had four dogs at the time.

I kinda think "staging" sucks. I want to go to a place where real people live. Where I can live too. Gimme a kid's room, well painted but trashed....I can see my GD in there. I like a dog bed around....no poop....just Karma.

This staging thing hasn't worked for me and I'm not Martha What's Her Name.

What's your thought?

Comments (10)