SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2tbd

Seller used realtor, now FSBO, comission question!

mom2tbd
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I recently discovered this forum, and have been mostly reading a lot and learning from all of you.

We are currently looking for a new house. We had been sort of casually looking for about a year, and just this past week have actually listed our own house for sale. Last year, May 2007, I drove by a house and it was listed FSBO. I called the owner, inquired about the house, at the time it was priced too high for us, and we weren't quite ready to sell our own house. A couple months later, the owner decided to list his house with a realtor. During this time, we asked our own realtor to show us the house. We liked it but still did not have our own house on the market, so did nothing. Anyway, we have listed our own house now, and are still interested in this house we looked at. The thing is that after the owner's contract with his realtor expired, he decided to try to sell it FSBO again. SO, my question is, if we contact the owner at this point, and want to buy his house, does the realtor that he had a contract with (which expired last month), get a commision? The seller seems to have lowered the price by approximately what the realtor's commision would have been when he went FSBO. If he has to pay a commision to sell it to us, would he likely raise the price or have us pay the comission?

Any advice would be appreciated. I am new to this buying/selling and really like this house (especially at the newly lowered price), but don't like the idea that we may have to pay more for it, just because we happened to look at it during the time when it was listed with a realtor. For what it's worth, I originally saw the house by doing a drive-by when it was listed FSBO the first time.

Thanks!!

Comments (4)