SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gr8daygw

Ceiling Fans Hum

gr8daygw
9 years ago

We have 17 feet high ceilings in our family room with two ceiling fans mounted on either side of an iron chandelier, the room is about 22 feet long. The fans are on extension poles so that they are about 5 feet lower than ceiling height. They are on a dimmer type switch to control the speed. They look nice, work well, but they hum.
We have three other fans in the house (we live in the south, ceiling fans are a staple) two are quiet and one is also making a loud humming. This didn't just happen, they have always done this but now we are sleeping in the guest room with master bedroom work going on and it's sort of driving me crazy. They are not really cheap fans except for one but why do some hum and others not? The fan in the guest room is almost too annoying to be able to use at night. Conversely, the one in the master bedroom is completely silent. Does the cost of the fan make a difference with this or is something else the problem? I am considering replacing the one in the guest room so my company can have a better rest but if that won't make any difference I don't want to waste the money. Have you ever had a problem with your ceiling fans humming? Our house was newly built some years ago and the wiring was done by professionals not by us. An electrician just charged me $377 to move an outlet down about 12 inches behind my washer so I don't want to call one if he is going to tell me it's nothing! Thanks for any help or advise you might have.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County