SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrorange_gw

Done with the inspection, and now reviewing what we can negotiate

mrorange
16 years ago

Greetings everyone,

I've been a reader of the forums for a while now, and feel comfortable enough to come back with a request for some advice. (I am in NJ, and the home is in Northern Passaic County NJ too) A little backstory behind our first home purchase process first:

When we saw the house, we put in an offer of 355K for a listing that was at 360K. The sellers countered, and we worked together to go to 358K.

While in attorney review, a second bidder came along and went over our 358K offer. Begrudgingly, I offered a higher offer of 369K just to get the second buidder out of the way.

We get out of attorney review, and work on setting up the inspection. This past Sat we had our inspection performed, and there was a list of things that werent properly maintained on the house by the sellers. A lot of DIY stuff to the plumbing, electric, 40+ year old gas furnace system, structurally deficient deck, impoperly graded backyard. Not pretty.

I am estimating at least 20k in work to be done to this home. The appraisal has been done (by the selling agents appraiser), But the report wont be in until tomorrow or Friday. I feel we might be getting screwed over. The word collusion has been lingering in my head since Monday afternoon. After dropping a lot of money for a septic inspection, home inspection, radon inspection, termite inspection, and mold inspection I would rather not walk away from this debacle if I dont have to.

Granted, it is fast becoming a buyers market, and I am in an area that is saturated with grossly overpriced homes.

How low should I go with my final offer, now that the dust has settled from the offer/inspection? Prices in the area are lower, and this home isnt even the cream of the crop on its own block. My offer has to be in to my lawyer this Friday.

P.S. : Zillow has it zestimated at 344K right now.

Thanks in advance!

MrOrange (but red with frustration)

Comments (30)