SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elkski

Spa heater replaced but magic 1 1/2 gate valve stuck shut.

elkski
15 years ago

Well I couldn't find my other post regarding my Balboa spa heater going out and the new part that had the crack in the potting on one of the electrical feed throughs. I ordered it from from appliance parts of America who basically has them drop shipped from spaparts .com out of Prescott valley, AZ. You guys suggested I not use that part and I agreed as the old Balboa heater failed due to gangreen at one of these connections after only 2 years. my original coleman heater last 7 years. Why did I ever let that dam tech talk me into going to a balboa system after that lightning strike took out the coleman main board?? That is another whole story and problem. (my outside perimeter lights dont work now)

Anyway APOA had me ship it back to Spaparts and request a replacement part. Well 1 month after Spaparts received the part back I got on the stick. APOA was unreachable by phone as has happened before. Spaparts said they had refunded the money back to APOA so I called visa to dispute the charges with APOA which goees by many website names like midwest etc. I bought a heater at a local supply house like I should have done 8 weeks ago. Looking back you cant expect a warehouse person to just send back a replacement part because I requested that on a copy of the invoice like APOA had asked as APOA hoped spa parts would do all the work for them. Why do I order online to save 20$ and some gas for what.???

Anyway now that my rant is over and the new heater is in and the spa is heating up I have another problem. I had the two Magic 1 1/2" gate valves closed for 2 months to isolate the missing heater and the one pump was unplugged. the problem was on one gate valve. the shaft just pulled out and the gate valve was stuck closed. I unhooked it at the heater threaded fitting 2" away and had to pry it open with very hard force. I didn't totally ruin the valve but put some nice deep scratches into the gate and seal area. Then I reattached it to the pump as the water was gushing out. At least this way the spa is working.

What do I do now. I do have heaters go out sometimes. I have had to pull each pump once to have the main seal replaced and this is when I would need the gate valve. I guess it would still work to stop the water flow and then I could open it again the same way but I guess I should plan on fixing this before winter comes?? goad me on here.

It looks like a PITA. Luckily I have about 18" of the flexible hose available to allow movement and me to work on it. I imagine that I need the following parts. the magic valve, some type of coupler on the pump side and then a pump threaded connector. and then I will need a valve to hose fitting on the other side of the valve and then maybe a small length of hose and a coupling to go between the two hoses? I figure to just cut the hose about 5-6" away from the valve and put the pieces on. One trouble is that this old hose has lots of insulation over spray. What is the best way to clean this off and still get a good bond with the glue. Also what type of Glue do I use regular PVC glue or the cristy's hot melt or what.

Comments (4)