SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runner70

Water Supply Line Replacement_Advice

runner70
17 years ago

I have two gate valves on the 3/4 supply line, between the meter and the house. One is on the supply line just before it enters the house. This valve is not working anymore and is copper sweated. I attempted to repair the inner mechanism but that didn't work. I can't sweat on a new valve because (1) the main service line valve on the street side of the meter will not fully shut off the water and (2) the second gate valve (threaded fittings) adjacent to the water meter is stuck open and I don't want to force it.

So I really need to replace both gate valves...with full port ball valves. The supply line connecting to the gate valve at the meter appears to be threaded galvanized iron, heavily corroded, whereas the supply line coming up next to the house is copper. The corrosion may prevent removing the gate valve next to the meter from the line. Obviously at some point the supply line transitions from galvanized to copper. I fear my only option is to dig up and replace the entire 60ft of supply line, right through my landscaped front yard :(, along with the 2 valves.

Suggestions?...for example should I replace the supply line with "L" copper continuous roll inside PVC or use CPVC? This is southern California, so frost/freeze issues are minimum.

Comments (4)