SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

New plan...lemons into lemonade :)

lavender_lass
13 years ago

Okay, here's the new plan, each square is 12". There's a little less room, with the wall there, but I'm hoping I can make it work...and the size of the work table is flexible.

{{gwi:1745568}}

Here's a close up of just the kitchen area, with each square equal to 6"...

{{gwi:1745569}}

Here's my work table inspiration picture, but I'd like to get the right dimensions, before I go shopping :)

{{gwi:1435527}}

Here's where I got the idea for the bump out window seat...Sarah Richardson's farmhouse dining room.

{{gwi:1734296}}

I love the built in bookshelves, with this one, but the leaded glass (while beautiful) is a little fancy, for my space.

{{gwi:1435531}}

So, I am open to changes and I would appreciate any suggestions. The big bookcase by the oven, could be a pull out pantry, if there's room. Also, the bookshelves, opposite the range, need to stay... as they're movable (on big casters) but they're covering up my plumbing. The washer and big sink, in the laundry area, is on a slab....and it would be much easier to plumb everything, through the wall and down to the basement, which I could hide with cabinets, below the bookcases. I'm hoping that's a clever idea! LOL

In the kitchen (from left to right) fridge, dishwasher, sink, drawer(s) with either trash built in, or trash under sink, corner lazy susan, drawers, range, pull out shelves behind doors, and the oven/microwave. For upper cabinets, I'd like to have a shelf above the fridge, solid upper (to store glasses, bowls) the window, a plate rack, corner cabinet with small lazy susan, more storage in two more upper cabinets (solid doors) the vent and a pot rack under a shelf. Here are some pictures, which I hope will make it easier to visualize.

Beagles' beautiful plate rack (I hope you don't mind my borrowing it, but I can't find another one that's as nice) and I promise not to make it blue, or copy it too closely!

{{gwi:1766608}}

Corner lazy susan (needs door) from This Old House...with a plate rack, rather than the wine storage.

{{gwi:1766609}}

Here's a few pictures of what I'd like for pan storage, between the range and wall oven...and a great lower cabinet area.

{{gwi:1755471}}

{{gwi:1766610}}

{{gwi:1766611}}

Again, suggestions are welcome and I look forward to seeing your ideas and improvements...sorry about the drawings, but I don't have any software. If someone wants to try it on software, you'll have my eternal thanks :)

Comments (26)

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Follow the path of someone from front door to the keeping room. It cuts right across the kitchen.

• miniscule
    13 years ago

Love your space and design, you are well on your way to having a beautiful result! What a luxury to have your large laundry/pantry ("utility") room. I am wondering a little about your DW, and how convenient it will be to where you will store your dishes...

• Related Discussions

Lemonade & Pink Lemonade

Q

Comments (20)
    Kim, I thought I'd share a quick story about squirrels and lemonade to ease your pain. My best friend's mom and great-grandma when mom was approx 40, and great-grandma was about 80, would spend an entire day here and there, sitting on lawn chairs on porch with lots of acreage up front. Both dressed in old style dresses, with glasses of lemonade and 22 long rifles in their lap. They'd just shoot (verbally) the bull all day, drinking their lemonade. As soon as a ground squirrel would pop it's head up out of the ground, one would grab the rifle and blow it's little head off. They were awesome shots, and got up to 100 ground squirrels on some days. I got to see a b&w photo of them sitting, looked like it was right out of the 1800's. I have a 22 long rifle (but no appropriate dresses). I'm thinking about a day soon... I saw bull eye in bloom at a nursery, it just didn't do it for me. But Seil, your pink lemonade photo is absolutely gorgeous and has me rethinking.
    ...See More

New Zealand lemonade bud expansion on Seville sour orange 8-24-2020

Q

Comments (11)
    Dave I cut my buds off while still on the scion donor tree. For T-Budding I use a razor blade and I sterilize with 10% bleach to water. I use a tooth brush to scrub my finger tips and under the finger nails. I then use alcohol to further de-oil my fingers and nails. I used my finger nails to lift the bark. Cut my time from 15 minutes to 1 minute. Very Clean fingernails is the trick for me. Bob! There will be NO army of citrus trees here. I am just using up the last few root stock seedlings and giving some of them to friends. Thanks anyway for the vote of confidence Steve
    ...See More

Grafting New Zealand lemonade to Seville sour orange 9-1-2020

Q

Comments (20)
    Re: Nutcracker. If you’re in the US, our low Canadian dollar works in your favour. But yes, when I see the prices for citrus in the US, they are cheaper. I have not come across any that will ship to Canada to an individual. I paid $35 ($26.00 US) for next day shipping across province of a 2-3 foot grapefruit tree. It is to arrive today. I figured I would give myself to a new houseplant challenge. No doubt, I’ll be yanking my hair out in a few months! Haha.
    ...See More

Rind of "New Zealand" Lemonade Lemon

Q

Comments (4)
    The rind of a NZL is similar to other lemons (sweet and fresh), but more mild in flavor than other lemons. It can be used as a zest but you need to double the amount compared to other lemons. The star of a NZL is the citrus segments within, which are bright, juicy, virtually seedless, and delicious enough to eat like an orange.
    ...See More
  • lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Florantha- That's the compromise I have to make, to work within the rooflines...and it's more of a porch, than a keeping room. Even though there's a wood stove, I'm guessing this will be more of a daytime room, with the living room, used more at night. Also, it's just me and my husband, unless we have company...and then maybe I get 'catch' them on the way through, and put them to work! LOL

Northsong- Thank you...the dishwasher placement is not ideal, but I think it works better, than on the other side of the sink...but I'm still open to suggestions :)

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

Is the porch enclosed? I'm guessing you live in a cooler climate, so heated? Is the floor of the porch level with the rest of the home?

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Is there a way to add a doorway into left-hand room at the item that is numbered "W" or "3"? This would route traffic past kitchen table and avoid having them go behind stools and past potentially opened refrig door during busy times.

(We have 2 doors from roughly same part of house interior into kitchen and there are moments when I am very glad to have an alternative route. Also, because one of these doors links to lobby as well, it routes people away from vicinity of kitchen when I don't want them there.)

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

**I am open to changes and I would appreciate any suggestions. The big bookcase by the oven, could be a pull out pantry, if there's room. Also, the bookshelves, opposite the range, need to stay... as they're movable (on big casters) but they're covering up my plumbing.**

Ok, speaking as someone who owns somewhere between 3000 and 5000 books, I love the bookshelves and their ingenious plumbing-hiding function. But the bookshelf by the range, that I would suggest losing. My first thought looking at this kitchen was, "Where do you keep your non-refrigerated food?" It just looks to me like you need a pantry more than you need another bookshelf, and by the range is the best place for it (i.e. replacing that bookshelf with a pantry makes more sense than replacing the others).

And actually, what I might suggest is swapping the oven/microwave and that bookshelf (let's call it a pullout pantry now instead of a bookshelf). That would let you have a baking center that would consist of the pantry (where your baking items, and lots of other things such as canned goods, could live), the counter between it and the range (prep space), and the work table (more prep space, and also good for if someone else is helping you prep). In contrast, having the pantry on the other side of the oven/microwave makes it less convenient when you're prepping, since you have to reach around the oven. The other reason it's more convenient to put the pantry closer to the counter than the oven/microwave is that you might want to access the pantry when someone else is using the microwave.

Your inspiration photos are beautiful, BTW. Can't wait to see it done!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

First thank you for the responses!

Remodelfla- Yes, the porch is enclosed (long winters) and it is the same height as the rest of the home. It would actually be added space, but no plumbing...just electrical. I've been thinking about heating it with that under the floor heating, which would save me tying it into the furnace...and let me keep that area a little cooler, in the evenings.

The wood stove is the smallest Jotul available (they say it's camper sized) and mostly for if the power goes out. Also nice for taking the chill off the room (if I don't want to turn on the heat) and a little ambience.

Florantha- The W and D is washer and dryer. I hesitate to put in another door (because the kitty boxes will be in this room) and I don't want it too open to the dining area...if you know what I mean. Also, it's just me and my husband for the most part, so if there are parties or lots of traffic (mainly in the summer) I can slide the work table over a little and make a wider path between the stools and bookcases.

Ideagirl2- I think you make a good point about the pantry. I'll have to think about it (do you know how wide they are?) and see if I like it better on the left or right of the wall oven...I can see advantages both ways.

I'm so glad you like my plumbing/shelves idea. It's another lemons into lemonade approach, but it might turn out to be a great idea (I still have to show it to GC). Thanks for the help and I'm glad you like my pictures...I really love that big window seat with the shelves on both sides :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Buehl- Here it is...I hope you can help me. I really like the idea of the plate rack with mug hooks and the pot rack shelf...even if they do take up a little space. I'm used to having fewer baking dishes, etc. I make the same things quite a bit, and I use the same few mixing bowls, etc. I don't need a lot of extra storage...and really big things can go in the laundry/pantry. What do you think about the idea for a pull out pantry, but the wall oven?

The work table can slide around to make more space...and I haven't found it yet, so dimensions are flexible. What do you think of the bump out window seat? I love that part...and the porch. I had to change the plans, due to roof line problems, but I did get the bigger master bedroom/bath fit back in...and the hot tub on the screened porch! Overall, not a bad compromise :)

I'll try to post the whole house plan, once the kitchen layout is finalized. Thanks, again!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just bumping this up for Buehl...these posts fall so quickly!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I see it! I've been looking at it on & off (around breaks at work & other)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Buehl- Just a few changes...I took out the shelves, next to the wall oven. I think I need a little more space for a path through that area...what do you think?

Also, switched the sunroom/laundry door, so that it swings into the sunroom, against the hutch. Much easier access. Thanks for taking a look at the plan :)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

Hi Lavender- you can borrow my plate rack :) Have you seen this one though- I LOVE it and wish I'd been able to make space to copy it...

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's a beautiful kitchen...and I might copy some of the ideas for my hutch! Actually, I have two hutches (one in the sunroom/porch) which means lots of space for dishes! I'm so excited to have room for my china and my teacups and saucers :)

The corner pantry reminds me of your kitchen, but you have a different door, right? I like the bay window, too!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

That picture was my very first inspiration picture and the one that sent me in search of blue granite :) Our pantry door is different yes, it is a frosted glass one. I like the bay window too! The one thing I think is odd is the beverage refrigerator, which looks super out of place in this kitchen I think!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL! You're right...that beverage fridge does look out of place. I think it would have been better with a cabinet panel on the front! :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found a picture of the Jadite, which is almost exactly what we found in the old farmhouse. I also found a picture very similar to some deer figurines, which I think is also from the 30s...although I could very well be wrong. They're pretty though :)

These are the types of things I'd like to incorporate to give the 'vintage cottage' style to the kitchen, along with the more traditional marble work table and window seat. We also have an older wooden pedestal table (but need to find leaves) that would look great!

{{gwi:1732988}}

{{gwi:1732989}}

This is very close to the table, but I think it's oak...and it's NOT painted. I don't mind painted chairs, but I like wood table and floors.

{{gwi:1766613}}

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I'm not sure the status of your plans, but I did work on a couple, based on your current plan.

Traffic...I would definitely try to direct traffic through the left side of your kitchen rather than the right. Through-traffic will be in the way of any work being done if the right side is utilized (that's where all the primary work zones are). This means making sure you have a clear path on the left, not cluttered with stools, etc. if the aisle is too narrow. If it is cluttered, people will perceive that the right side is easier to navigate and will use it...even if someone is working there!

Seating at an "island"...If you don't really need the storage on the left wall, you might consider eliminating the bookshelves (see Layout #4 below for an example of what might be possible).

Pantry/Laundry Room...Just how much pantry storage is there in the "Pantry/Laundry Room"? It looks to me like you have a 30"x12" pantry and a 21" x 24" or so broom/utility cabinet ("Br"). I don't know what "F2" is.

How would you feel about moving the door to the Porch and installing a corner pantry? A walled-in pantry might help to reduce the impact of the laundry's steam/heat on the food in the pantry. Plus, it will be "hidden" in case your pantry isn't always "photo ready". See the very last layout for what I'm suggesting.

Tall Cabinet or Shelves...As to the bookshelves vs a utility/pantry cabinet to the right of the range, I would actually recommend getting rid of it altogether...unless you really need it. You can store baking supplies in drawers and upper cabinets...meanwhile you gain "permanent" working and landing space b/w the range and oven.

Refrigerator...To be able to open the refrigerator door fully (assuming there's a door w/a hinge on the left), you will need to either reduce the depth of that wall to approx 24" or pull the refrigerator out so the refrigerator carcass/box is flush with the "end" of the wall. Some modification (or pulling out) will be needed regardless of depth...counter or standard. I don't recommend a refrigerator with one door with the hinge on the right...it will make it more difficult to get things out of it and place them on some landing space.

OK....here they are:

And...no set of layouts is complete without at least one with a prep sink! :-D

Pantry/Laundry Room: (12" deep shelves on the left; 15" deep shelves on the "top")

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Wow, those are your usual awesomeness, buehl.

One thought--if the MW was down by the ovens, and the island was fixed, couldn't that space for the MW drawer be used for super-convenient dish storage, unloading right from the DW? That's the one thing I see problematic in this plan. I've had dish storage over the prep area and don't like it.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Buehl- Thank you so much for the plans! I really like the last few, with the seating :)

On Tuesday, I realized I wanted more room for seating...and to be able to see people, while I prepped...so I changed my plan. I've attached the link, below and here's my inspiration picture, without the arch.

I like your idea about making more pantry space, but I don't like a big walk in pantry and I can't move the sunroom door over that far, so I came up with this instead. That's an archway, dividing the pantry from the rest of the space and I put the farm sink, under the window. The smaller pantry (between the doors) is more for paper products, broom closet, etc. while the bigger pantry is for food and dish/small appliance storage.

Any other ideas or improvements? I appreciate you taking the time to draw up the plans and I can use many of the ideas, in this new plan. Thanks again :)

{{gwi:1734294}}

{{gwi:1734299}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to new plan

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I have so much experience with screwy hallways and walkpaths so that's why I posted above. I had vowed I was going to bow out, but you've got me thinking again...

What if the entrance to the keeping room/porch were on the right of the sink and the whole kitchen shifted to the left and incorporated with a laundry area alcove? You'd have one less real doorway making one less room. I really like the idea of traffic going straight from rest of house to the porch without going through the cooking area. It would also give the quickest, most efficient walkpaths, would dead-end the kitchen, and would put more windows in the kitchen. Would also make tending the woodstove easier from other places--just walk right out and there it is. Tending the laundry would not be associated with the porch (sound, smell, mess) and the kitties can be more in the kitchen. Television or other sound in one of the two rooms can be closed off at the porch door. Lots of kitchen light this way--if you can borrow light from porch through former doorway above kitties, perhaps with a window or bank of windows into porch. Or a pass-through. More usable airy space in all rooms. Walkpaths wouldn't rate windows. The interior eating area would have a slight view out to the porch and the doings out there. In parties, people would move between the two tables more easily.

Of course, that might interrupt some plumbing lines, bearing walls, etc. but I just thought (again)....

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Florantha- Very interesting, but I'm not sure I'm following you. I've considered flipping the dining room and kitchen, before...but not the kitchen and laundry/pantry. Can you sketch out your idea?

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Oh I get it - instead of having a door between your refrigerator and oven/micro, put it in the dining space between the hutch and the other rectangle, where the potted plant? is. That would make your kitchen a complete horseshoe.

• jgs7691
    13 years ago

I realize that you may have changed from the movable island plan, but I thought that you might like this table (Crate and Barrel French Kitchen Table) if for any reason you decide to go back to the original plan.

Dimensions are: 54"Wx34.25"Dx29.75"H

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jgs- Thank you for the picture. It's a beautiful table...and I have been know to make some changes, once or twice :)

Marti- Interesting idea, but I don't know if I'd rather have guests walking past the laundry area, than the oven, to get to the sunroom. Something to think about, though. Maybe two doors?...but then I'm losing pantry space.

Here's one more idea, with a broom closet and more tall pantry space. The kitties area (litter boxes) are moved under the farm sink, with curtain in front. The corner by the bench is hard to read, but where we'd hang 'farm work' coats :)

{{gwi:1766624}}

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

here is a non-measured wrong scale sketch

put the door to porch on right side--a double door if it will fit. Doors open against the stair wall and against the peninsula if there's a second door.

Big thing this layout gives you is those large vistas of gorgeous cabinetry you have written about--along sink-range wall from front hall or dining area, on wall beyond dining table as seen from front hall, and on end of dining room as seen from door to Porch or from sink-range wall.

Use the left-hand room from old layout for laundry alcove. Put kitty box under old sink. This alcove room can be a project room--even a sewing machine and ironing board could be used back here.

* = chopping station with windows to outside. I'd use this when processing garden veg for freezing, for big cooking projects, for baking if you like, etc. Top of W&D can be used as additional counterspace. You could swap old sink and W&D to put sink nearer food prep.

** = everyday chopping station and food prep

*** = Coffee pot and microwave. Might be accessible from both sides of counter if you work it right.

A = corner cab can be accessed from the hall side so you can use entire cab without lazy susan. This can serve both tables--pitchers, serving items, party gear

B = wall for dining room cabinetry and/or art or books

C = corner cab can be accessed from dining room side.

D = mega pantry. If it's accessed from dining room, it can be pretty. If it's accessed from laundry room side, it gives you a big art wall or bookshelf in dining room.

If you like bigscreen television, you can put it to the right of the entrance to the hall to porch--it could be seen from everywhere in dining and kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Try this

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Florantha- Thank you for the drawing! I'll have to take a closer look at it tonight, but it's not something I had considered :)