SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Lemonade & Pink Lemonade

jacqueline9CA
12 years ago

Has anyone grown either of these roses from Jim Sproul's Eyeconic Series (hulthemia hybrids)?

I just got a catalogue with both of them in it. I liked the look of PL until I saw the pictures on HMF - it appears to start out yellow with an orange spot, and then fade to a dirty pink, also with an orange spot. Yuck!

The Lemonade one at least appears to start out with a bright yellow color, and then fade to a light yellow & then a whitish yellow, all with a red/orange spot - at least the colors go with each other!

Curious if anyone has grown either of these in No Cal - did it get bs or other diseases? What was the REAL size of the bush (I have learned not to believe ANY statements re size of any rose unless it comes from my area - we always seem to have them 2 to 3 times larger than adviertized). Any info appreciated - I am intrigued, but want to know what I might be getting into before jumping.

Jackie

Comments (20)

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    12 years ago

I've ordered Eyeconic Lemonade for Spring planting, late April in my Z4 area. I'd also like to hear if anyone has experience or any observtions on these roses in cold climates as nothing is listed for cold hardiness.

Larry

• roseblush1
    12 years ago

Jackie.........

Hulthemias come from a dry, arid climate. These are novelty roses for any other type of climate and I would not expect them survive. BUT roses often break the rules, so they may surprise me.

Larry ..... I truly do no know about the cold hardiness issue.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• Related Discussions

Pink Lemonade blueberry

Q

Comments (42)
    From what I've read it is part albino and the berries need sunlight on all sides to ripen fully.I saw this happening with mine this year.It is in a container and the fruit facing the Sun turned color while the backsides had somewhat white areas.I turned the pot about a third revolution about every week and the berries color changed. They still have a good taste,a little tangy if picked early.I'd call them a mid-late. Brady
    ...See More

Where to buy Pink Lemonade Thyme seeds?

Q

Comments (1)
    You're not going to be able to find seeds for it since it's a hybrid and it's exclusive to that one site. Rodney
    ...See More

i bought a pink lemonade blueberry for $7.98, is it good for so cali?

Q

Comments (0)
    i wonder if it will be able to produce fruits eventually, because i am here in southern california. it needs about 300 chill hours. also, i had another blueberry, it seems to be all dead, there is no green branches above the soil. would it produce any new branches ? it is spring already. it started to die, leaves started to fall, the stems became brown. it was growing so well at first. i didn't add any acid fertilizer to it. was that the reason why it didn't survive?
    ...See More

Finally found a variegated pink lemonade, at HD!

Q

Comments (11)
    I have been to 3 home depots, and only one of them has the grafted citrus so far this season. And ALL the lemons are Meyers. So I would be thrilled to find a different lemon. I was surprised to find kumquats, as I don't think many people know what they are, around here, at least.
    ...See More
  • seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I really love the Eyeconic Pink Lemonade. It's so pretty! But I think I'll wait a year or two to hear how it reeally does do in colder climates. I've bought so many lately that were just beautiful their first season but never came back from winter. I'm a little gun shy on new intros now.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

IIRC, Jim said to expect about four by four from Lemonade and a bit less from Pink Lemonade. It was on the RHA forum somewhere. You can go there and search for it to read it for yourself if you'd like. So far, Lemonade's only "issue" here is how much the @#!% squirrel likes eating it! Really nice fragrance to my nose! Kim

• Jeannie Cochell
    12 years ago

I picked up Eyeconic Pink Lemonade yesterday at a local nursery. Was curious about the Hulthemia and thought I read somewhere that Ralph Moore had used it in some hybridization several years ago. Am going to keep it containered for awhile and see how much sun it really wants/needs, lol. Not too worried about cold tolerance here.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kim - re squirrels - I had no idea they ate actual rose flowers until the other day. We have plenty of both (squirrels & roses), but I guess I was just not paying attention. Then, I saw a squirrel way up up on a branch fussing with something white. I got my binoculars, and it had a huge full blossom of Mme Alfred Carriere (which grows near that branch and blooms for 12 months). It was eating it like corn on the cob - nibbling and rotating the rose flower around and around. It took about 2 minutes for it to get to the middle, when it just chomped down the center, stem and all - it was so cute!

Jackie

• roseseek
    12 years ago

"Cute"? Wait until they devour a week's worth of breeding. Take out all the new growth of your bare roots. Eliminate a new cutting you've been fussing over to get going. I'm glad they're cute in your garden. I'll fax you all of mine! LOL! Kim

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    12 years ago

I'm hoping that the Hultemia persica/R.persica species genes gives some of its hardiness to these new hybrids...according to HMF it is listed as z4b hardy.

• EnzoWatt
    12 years ago

Plants at the Rose Hills Trials last fall were runty looking. But that was only their first year. They were never run through any trials beyond California. So you're taking your chances on black spot.

• Jeannie Cochell
    12 years ago

My Eyeconic Pink Lemonade started blooming last week. This week, I have both the Pink and the Yellow varieties blooming on same stem. The temps here have fluctuated between lows of 55F and highs of 85F with one dismal rain and lots of wind. It does have a little powdery mildew but so do the other roses in that area, except for Ketchup & Mustard.

• sabalmatt_tejas
    12 years ago

Early this year I picked up eyeconic lemonade and bulls eye. Both have been blooming for the last two weeks. I like them both and find them fragrant- which i didn't expect. Bulls eye begins w/ a cream colored bloom and quickly fades to white. Lemonade has larger blooms than bulls eye. I'm curious to see how they perform.

• User
    12 years ago

all the hulthemias fade like mad....and that in a cool english climate so if colour stability is an issue I would be a little more circumspect. On the upside, blackspot is simply shrugged off - even when surrounded by less lucky roses (austins!!!) my hulthemias are totally free (I cannot say this with as much vehemnence for any other rose in my garden. OTOH, I have no experience with Jim Sproul's roses but would expect a degree of die-back in colder climates (I only have the Warner/James and Harkness hulthemias). I suspect winter wetness may well do for some, too.

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Just an FYI :) I ordered both of these today from Edmunds and they have a pretty good special going on...I paid 18.95 for both roses (50% off). Kind of a buy-one-get-one free deal...I also ordered two more for a total of 4 roses and the shipping was only $10.

Tammy

• judyaa
    11 years ago

I bought two pink lemonade as leftovers at the end of the season in December, $5.00 each, and took them home from the nursery today (Ohio, zone 6 now, used to be zone 5). They're in the pot and the stems have a bit of budding. I hope they make it through the rest of the winter. I'll post back in the spring.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I got Eyeconic Pink Lemonade last spring and I've fallen completely in love with it! It grew very well, bloomed it's head off, had hardly a spot on it all season and I'm praying it's winter hardy. If I had any complaints it's that it isn't fragrant and the blooms only last about two days. Otherwise it's wonderful!
    {{gwi:213865}}

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

If you ever need a substitute for Lemonade/Pink Lemonade, try Easter Basket--which in my opinion ought to be named Pink Lemonade. It's a ruffly type floribunda with good disease-resistance -- more lemonade shades (pale yellow blend) in warmer weather and more pink lemonade shade in cooler weather (flushed pastel pink). Often it starts out as a pastel yellow blend and ages into pale pink highlights.

Really a lovely and prolific rose--wish I had a picture, but I've linked to HMF which has some good ones. I highly recommend this one.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Easter Basket

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Kim, I thought I'd share a quick story about squirrels and lemonade to ease your pain. My best friend's mom and great-grandma when mom was approx 40, and great-grandma was about 80, would spend an entire day here and there, sitting on lawn chairs on porch with lots of acreage up front. Both dressed in old style dresses, with glasses of lemonade and 22 long rifles in their lap. They'd just shoot (verbally) the bull all day, drinking their lemonade. As soon as a ground squirrel would pop it's head up out of the ground, one would grab the rifle and blow it's little head off. They were awesome shots, and got up to 100 ground squirrels on some days. I got to see a b&w photo of them sitting, looked like it was right out of the 1800's. I have a 22 long rifle (but no appropriate dresses). I'm thinking about a day soon...

I saw bull eye in bloom at a nursery, it just didn't do it for me. But Seil, your pink lemonade photo is absolutely gorgeous and has me rethinking.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Thanks, Harmony! I looked at Bulls Eye too and it didn't thrill me either but the Pink Lemonade is really pretty.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Thanks, harmony. That's a great story! Too bad it's illegal to discharge firearms in my neighborhood... Kim

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Oh bummer. I forget how spoiled I am. In a little country town where we are allowed to shoot on our propety, about 5 miles in diameter, surrounded by city where its not allowed.

I hear mixed messages here about fragrance, which of course we all know is different for different people, and hugely different due to location. Are any of these truly purported to be fragrant?