SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cj47_gw

Layout help, please--I'm back with measurements!

cj47
14 years ago

Hi again, IÂm back with measurements and another version of a layout for the new kitchen. ItÂs still not Âquite rightÂ, and IÂd appreciate some suggestions. I hope that having everything to scale helps. The window and the back door can be moved. The doors to the mudroom, the living room, and the hallway have to stay where they are, and the walls also canÂt be moved.

To recap, I cook mostly from scratch, multiple times a day, and store a lot of fruits and vegetables. I mill my own flour and enjoy baking breads. I have a huge collection of spices (Penzys addict) and am planning a 36 inch drawer to hold them. I have two kids, both of whom would help in the kitchen if there was room for them, so IÂm trying to make room! We will be entertaining at all the major holidays, along with family on weekends, and my kids regularly bring home friends that stay for overnights and meals.

Some of the major concerns I have so far are:

I canÂt think of a good place to put the microwave. We use it for rewarming foods, and the occasional kid snack when visitors are over, and popcorn.

* Is the refrigerator too far out of the loop? IÂve had a few people , including the KD I was working with and Rhome tell me to move it over to the wall next to the mudroom door, but if I move it over there, then I feel as though I need to move the cleanup zone as well, and the school lunchmaking zone. I would rather hike to the fridge if needed than have to deal with "interlopers" in my work space. (Thanks, Celticmoon)

*I wanted dish drawers near the dishwasher, and so widened the island a little bit there to make room for a 36 inch dish drawer. Does this look OK? ItÂs only going to be about a foot or so wider. I considered making the entire island a foot wider, however it then made the distance between the dining table and the seating at the island too tight, so this was a compromise.

*At present, I have no prep sink in the island. IÂve been told by a few people that I should have one thereÂbut IÂm truly not sure IÂd use it, and am leery of spending the money on something IÂm not sure of. I also like the expanse of uninterrupted work area that the island affords. The plan for the sink is to have a two bowl, with one wide bowl for cleanup and one smaller bowl for prep. Opinions?

Thanks very much for opinions and suggestions. I tried to incorporate the suggestions that came in last time, and waited till I had measurements to post again. All input is welcome!!

Thanks,

Cj

[IMG]http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr304/RVFAMILY/Remodel/layout93.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (17)