SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monzamess

another question on buying before selling

monzamess
17 years ago

Ok, so I'm likely to take a job about 600 miles away.

Due to circumstances like having 3 kids under 3 and 8 additional furry kids (yeah we're nuts) and wanting to only move once, we might want to buy a home in the new area before the current home sells. Also because of the kids and pets, the current home will probably show better empty. Finally, we would just rent in the new area first, but again there's the pet problem.

Some numbers:

Our current house payment is about 25% of our gross monthly income.

The price range I'm targeting for the new house would be about 20% of our gross if we put nothing down. Homes in the new area cost about half what they do here, so we can spend less and still upgrade.

Based on recent comps (not an actual appraisal), I'm guessing the amount of equity in those house is worth about a 50% down payment on another house (closer to 80-100% if you believe Zillow, which I don't).

Sorry for the lack of hard numbers numbers but I don't want to spill my entire financial guts on a public forum.

What are our options?

I've searched on this forum and other sites and found some options...

So far I've seen bridge loan (high interest rates + points) and HELOC.

Would the HELOC go toward a down payment on the new house, making payments, or both?

How likely are we to get a conventional first mortgage on the new house before selling the current one? Our credit is good but the debt-to-income ratio would be pretty high. We could get money using 401K loans if necessary for a down payment.

Thanks for any advice...

Comments (19)