SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncamy_gw

Just wanted to share my 'selling' experience so far

ncamy
13 years ago

Since our 12 year old house has been on the market for awhile (and in my area nothing is moving) we decided to cash in some stock and update the kitchen. After replacing the appliances and fixtures and painting, the first four comments we have had since the updates were, "Kitchen needs way too much work" etc. I guess if you don't have granite, even if granite is not typical in your neighborhood, your house needs too much work. We purposely chose not to redo the counters because it's such a personal choice and the solid surface counters we have are nicer than what's in most of the other houses for sale in our neighborhood.

Granted we also didn't do anything to the cabinets which are in terrific shape. They are fully custom painted white and are not built from stock sizes. To replace the cabinets with something comperable to what's there would be at least $50,000 and maybe $40,000 in a stained wood because of the custom sizes and configuration. The overwhelming majority of potentials say they don't like the white. Do you think we should paint it or have we sunk enough money into this already severely underpriced house?

The layout of the kitchen is not a problem and no one has criticized that. We know that we are the only ones on the market in our area with such extras as a prep sink, double ovens, gas cooktop, and eating bar.

Our house shows quite a lot because it is priced so attractive. Our agent has shown us showing data from our area and we get around four times more hits than similar houses. I just don't understand why buyers don't realize that if a house is already priced much lower than the others then they'll have money left over to make their own choices.

Comments (18)