SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peony4_gw

Repeat exposure of decor

peony4
9 years ago

If I am ever inclined to return to academia, this is my field of research...

One of my neighbors lives in a handsome brick colonial that has had the same sensibly painted front door since they moved in 10 years ago. Recently, I drove by and noticed their front door was a new spicy red-orange color that, while coordinated with the home's brick, was still a stand-out... in a positive way to me. I'm sure you GW'ers would have approved! (I'd post photos, but it's not my house.)

My neighbor was in her front lawn, so I pulled over to compliment her on her front door color choice. She looked me square in the eye and replied, "I hate it." She gave me many reasons why--too orange, too bright, too everything else. But I thought it looked brave and stunning (and, as far as painting goes, an easy fix if she wanted to change it). So I assured her that, if given a few weeks, she'd get used to it and learn to enjoy it. She replied that a few weeks would only give her time to tolerate it--but not to like it.

The reason why her reaction stuck with me is that I'm pretty sure she's not one to research and care about decor, as I am. Yet her response was so on point--if your first reaction doesn't like it, does repeat exposure mean you simply learn to live with it?

(Google mere-exposure effect if you're a research-junkie who wants to marry decor to psychology.)

Comments (13)