SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavenderblues_gw

Welcome to the voices in my head, UGH!

lavenderblues
16 years ago

Let's start at the beginning with the fact that we've had an above ground pool with our last 2 homes, currently a 24' round. We're also currently about 2/3 into a new home construction build and although our 3 sons are now grown and off on their own, we've decided to have an in-ground pool installed within the next month or so, before construction completion. Hubby and I love a pool, plus we're hoping someday for grandchildren, and our sons aren't living that far from us and they and their friends still frequently visit.

Now, welcome to the voices in my head that try to logically contemplate choices that we need to make.

Last week, some acquaintances through the pool company invited us over to see their pool liner as one of our possible choices. They have the same size pool that we're getting; 16x32. They opted NOT to get a diving board, and their reasoning is that since they also opted to ONLY go 5-1/2 feet at the deep end, it allows enjoyment/use of the ENTIRE pool, rather than, saving the diving board 1/3 end for divers. They said that the diving board also physically interferes with pool floaters who only want to relax in the pool on a raft, (which would be my hubby).

What we found most interesting, is that these people said that their brother up in Michigan just put in a pool and he did 3 1/2 feet at the shallow end, graduating to 5 1/2' in the middle, and then BACK TO 3 1/2' at the other end. This allows them to comfortably play volleyball, etc, in the pool, and he claims that the ENTIRE pool gets used this way and enjoyed.

I see both points, and yet, isn't the main reason for installing an in-ground pool rather than above ground so that you're not standing in an over-sized bathtub of sorts like you do in an above ground?

I have 2 contemplations going on here, so please give me your input.

1. The Diving Board: does it hang down too close to the water that it interferes with pool floats at that end of the pool? Which will get more use, the Diving Board, or the ability to play water sport games in the pool with NO Diving Board?

2. What does everyone think about the 3 1/2'/ then to 5 1/2' / then to 3 1/2' plan? This guy said that if he had it to do over again, he'd do exactly as his brother in Michigan has done.

Which way is best? And please don't say, "what do YOU like, what will YOU use most?" - because basically my hubby and I are pool float relaxers. Hubby and I will not use the diving board, but that isn't the point, really.

When you answer, please try to remember that we're partially (largely) building this pool as a family fun center, to stay bonded with the kids, and for future grandkids, parties that we may have, and parties that the kids and their friends may have.

I really appreciate anyone who took the time to read this and will give their opinion, so a huge THANK YOU! in advance! :)

Comments (9)