SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boxiebabe

Did you have your backsplash installed AFTER the faucet was in?

boxiebabe
16 years ago

Because of scheduling - I seem to have a conflict with the woman we were going to hire to put in our backsplash.

Our plumber is coming next Friday to install the sink, fixtures, etc. The following Friday, we scheduled to have the backsplash installed. Now the tile lady says that she can't install the backsplash if the fixtures are in. She says it's too tight for her to get back behind it, plus she doesn't want to be "liable" if she gets stuff on the fixtures and ruins them. She wants the plumber to come back (another trip) to install the faucet after she's done. Meanwhile, that would mean another week until we'd have a functioning sink and faucet in our kitchen.

Mind you, our sink base is popped out about 4-5 inches further than the rest of the perimeter base cabinets. Our GC says that she'll have a "solid 4 inches" behind the faucet to get in there.

We're getting a very simple backsplash - it's a mosaic that has random sized tiles on a sheet. I would think that there would be plenty of room for her to get behind the faucet. And I would certainly think that she would be covering my brand new granite and fixtures anyway.

She already placed the tile order - so I told her whether or not she ends up doing it, I will pay for the tile.

I would normally just find another tile person, but she's an acquaintance/friend - not a close friend, put a part of a social group that I belong to.

Have any of your had your backsplash installed AFTER the fixtures were in? Did your tile person complain about it, and talk about liability, etc?

This all strikes me as a little odd...

I am right to think that she's being unreasonable?

Thanks all!

---Boxie

Comments (12)