SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

Did you seal your backsplash grout?

redroze
15 years ago

Our backsplash is going in today or tomorrow. The grout is white, and I was all set to seal it (in the month or whatever amount of time that the sealer product recommended) but then I read this article from a famous Canadian home improvement guy, Mike Holmes. He says you shouldn't seal your grout as you need to allow moisture to escape, otherwise it causes problems in the wall.

Did you seal your grout or not? I'd love to hear from you, especially if you have white grout like mine.

Comments (21)

• josie724
    15 years ago

I sealed my backsplash grout. I'm glad I did, because I no sooner had the sealant done, and I opened a pomegranate which sprayed purple juice all over my tiles. Luckily it easily wiped up. I don't know if I agree with Mike Holmes article in respects to a kitchen backsplash. I can see his theory applying to a bathroom where the amount of water is much more than in a kitchen.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Yes and we have white grout, too. We used Aquamix Gold as that was recommended by Artistic Tile (15 yr sealer).

• glad
    15 years ago

article doesn't make sense to me since ay least some sealers are breathable.

• Jim Peschke
    15 years ago

Absolutely you should seal it! Unless you like stains that is. I haven't sealed mine yet and we had some people over. I ended up having the backsplash splattered with tomato and meat juice and I didn't know it for hours. The tiles had already been sealed; they cleaned up well. The grout stained, though I was able to make it so only I can see it--and I have to hunt to find it. The grout on the floor tile was sealed and has been much easier, no staining at all. I would strongly suggest sealing.

- Jim

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

It's not very often that this happens, but I agree with Holmes on this. As far as I'm concerned, sealing grout is the biggest racket in the tile industry.

I did an FAQ for the Building a Home forum a while back. Check out number #12:

Here is a link that might be useful: Do I Really Need to Seal My Grout?

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I must admit I sealed mine, but mostly because it was easier to do all at once. The tiles had to be sealed prior to install, and then we did another sealing after install (they're crackle) which included the grout.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Very informative, a lot of food for thought here. I'm so glad to have found this forum.

I've read a few posts from people with white grout for many years, who did not seal their grout and experienced no staining. DH and I are very neat cook compared to others. I also feel that Bill and Mike Holmes' articles, coming from professionals that recommend against grout, also contributed to me not wanting to seal the grout. So I've decided not to seal it. We can always chip away the grout and redo for areas that may stain.

I don't want to do the darker grout, I really like the look of the white.

Wish me luck...thanks everyone.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

In all the tile work that I've had in my home, both growing up and then in my own home once I was "all growed up", I've never sealed a bit of grout, and that included having a light bone colored grout in my backsplash in my last home.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I just read over Bills FAQ's and saw that natural stone (such as travertine) should be sealed. So since I have used travertine for my BS, it is OK to seal it AND the grout? I'm not sure how I'd seal the tile and not the grout. thanks!

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Yes, it's okay to seal both, and I WOULD recommend sealing the stone. AS for the grout, though, evilbunnie, trust me-- mine is very much an Italian household, and my ex (when I had that backsplash) was KNOWN for making a huge mess. Spaghetti sauce wasn't even the worst of it-- you should've seen when she baked a chocolate cake! It still cleaned up. If you're looking for pristine, you should either consider a darker colored grout, or switch to something other than tile altogether, because even with sealing the grout, you're still going to stain it sooner or later. Most of it can usually be washed out, but if you're a real stickler, you'll notice it.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I respect the further details. So...can I get one last question (or last two questions) in? Since I KNOW I am not going with a darker grout and have chose one of the whitest grouts out there, are there any negatives to sealing my grout? And will sealing the grout at least delay the inevitable staining? Cost is not a factor for me. Thanks.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Since I KNOW I am not going with a darker grout and have chose one of the whitest grouts out there, are there any negatives to sealing my grout?

Not a one.

And will sealing the grout at least delay the inevitable staining?

yes.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Bill. Appreciate your response!

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

Hey Bill! You totally cracked me up! I am a disaster area when I get really cooking, so I'm planning on a dark grout, just because I know my own destructive tendencies. I'm sure I'm a match for your ex and her chocolate cake!

And I had a feeling this was one of those "real stickler" issues, so I HAD to offer my hard-lesson opinion. Kitchen design is always a balance between aesthetics and the reality of kitchen use. Just depends on where you fall -- are you going to adapt your design to your behavior, or your behavior to your design?

Redroze, good luck and good sealing! And Bill, if you have any tips for epoxy grout, I'm planning an extensive bathroom tile job and I'm going to use the epoxy (in a medium grey, thanks for asking) for the first time, so I'm nervous!

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Evilbunnie-- First, as far as I'm concerned, the use of epoxy grout for residential installations, with very specific exceptions, is bigtime overkill. The cost is about 4 times that of conventional polymer modified grouts, and it's more difficult to use. If you're set on using it, though, stick with Laticrete's Spectralock Pro, which is NOT what they have at Lowes-- it's not the PRO version, which is easier to work with, and has a longer pot life. You can find it through just about any tile showroom.

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

Many thanks, Bill,

I think I'll do some more research before I commit to the epoxy, but I'll definitely stay away from big box suppliers.

Again, thanks for watching out for us. I know just enough to be dangerous. I appreciate your insight.

• petra_granite
    15 years ago

Ok: why does that sound not right to me?
    "has to breath: so don't seal" Well: if you stick 3cm granite on the walls or 2cm granite on the walls or 12x12 or 18x18 tiles on the walls .....and so on: How is that going to breath?
    Why would tiny grout lines help in the "breathing" process?
    I say use Durrock on the walls: slap up the mastic and install the material and seal it! if it's natural.
    I say seal the grout! Or paint it: if you paint it: with grout paint: it's not staining!

My logical thinking only!
    OK if you are a vegaterian or never cook: Then what is the point of sealing? right?
    spaghetti sause: oil: grease: butter: red wine: grape juice: red juice; that;s pretty much the messy stuff:

I like the idea of Stainless steel stove with the stainless steel splash behind stove area! Would solve that problem when it comes to cooking splatters!

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

"has to breath: so don't seal" Well: if you stick 3cm granite on the walls or 2cm granite on the walls or 12x12 or 18x18 tiles on the walls .....and so on: How is that going to breath?
    Why would tiny grout lines help in the "breathing" process?

I say use Durrock on the walls: slap up the mastic and install the material and seal it! if it's natural.

You might want to come join us at the pros forum on John Bridge's website. You've got alot to learn.

Here is a link that might be useful: John Bridge's Pros' Hangout

• Adriana Gutierrez
    6 years ago

I have very light grout behind my kitchen sink and I know it is a regular splash zone. So I do want to seal it. Questions:

1. What brand is recommended?

2. Is it ok to just seal behind the sink but not the adjacent areas. Will there be a visible difference?

• donwar
    5 years ago
    Well we just redid our kitchen about a year ago and our backsplash was not sealed, I never even thought of it, until I made my first pot of sauce and realized that it splattered and stained the light grey grout and I could not get it out. I’m planning on doing it myself. What should I buy, can I do it myself, help!