SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annab6_gw

What size mirror and lights for this vanity?

annab6
15 years ago

Since this is more of a decorating question, I am posting it here instead of the bath forum.

This is my kids' new vanity. I need to select the mirror and the lights and it turned out to be one of those hard-to-decide-no-perfect-solution-exists kind of task.

The vanity is ~72" wide and 21" deep (22" deep counter) and 36" tall. The ceiling height in this room is 8'6".

My daughters are in 4th and 7th grade already, so it is more of an elegant young adult look that we are after.

We already planned for a single large mirror, a big wish of my older daughter, so there is no tile border in the middle. We also have electrical work done to allow for two fixtures, one above each sink (even though you see only one wire). But both are turned on by the same switch.

I need to decide on:

- width of the mirror, should it be the same width as the cabinet or slightly narrower?

- height of the mirror. I thought of going all the way up to the ceiling but afraid it may be "too much" and too hard to clean. If not all the way up, then would it look off-balance because of the wall space above but not on the side?

- framed or frameless mirror?

- which lights (looking up, looking down etc) and at what height? Keep the idea of two separate fixtures or do one in the middle, does doing one in the middle mean shadows? I received a few ideas on the bath forum but still no decision. The advice is to switch to side lighting but we really don't have enough space.

I kind of like an idea of a taller frameless mirror with the lights mounted through the mirror. Is that a practical choice from the cleaning perspective?

If someone has a similar setup, would love to see a picture

By the way, the picture is made of two photos stitched together to be able to show the full height of the wall above the vanity, this is why part of the picture looks shifted.

Comments (11)