SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mudworm_gw

Water / Ant / Earthquake / Sound Proof a Kitchen

mudworm
13 years ago

I'm sure there are other things that worry me about the kitchen, but I can't remember for now, so let me just start with these potential adversaries. Since we are doing a kitchen remodel, I want to do as much forward thinking as I can. Below is a compilation of my concerns as well as some knowledge I picked up from GW. If anyone has any experience with any of these areas, I, and I'm sure some others, will appreciate your input.

Water Proof

So far, I read that the most likely sources of water damage (to the floor and/or cabinets) are leaking dishwasher (DW) and refrigerator (REF) ice maker due to defect or power outage. Since we are putting laminate floor down, I'm especially concerned. I was planning to leave the REF not hooked up with the water line since neither of us drinks ice water, but my DH vetoed it because he didn't want to explain to our guests why we don't have ice cold water despite the dispenser. Then, I was thinking out aloud if I could come up with a drip pan that can be put underneath the DW and REF to collect all the water in case of leakage. My DH said to me, "People ask, oh, why is your fridge wearing a diaper? 'We don't have it potty trained.' How old is the fridge? 'Five...'" That made me laugh, but I still don't have a solution.

My KD suggested me to lay down some water proof material in the sink base with a little edge up and cog the seams. I may look into that in case of plumbing leakage under the sink.

Oh, one EZ-level video mentions that they like to leave the cabs 1/8" off the floor (using their EZ-level legs) so that when there is water flowing on the floor, it will not damage the cabinets. Do you think that's a good idea?

Sound Proof

I'm hoping the Fisher Paykel dishwasher drawers we are going to buy will be quiet, but my main concern is in the refrigerator. Our office/desk area will be right next to it. After some deliberations, I think we will end up buying the IKEA NUTID S23 Counter Depth Fridge due to its current kitchen sale. It's made by Whirlpool and being at $1400 (original price), I do not expect it to be whisper quiet. We'll have it boxed in and I think we'll put sound absorbing material in the back and on both sides of the fridge (something I learned from GW). Our floor is laminate, but I wonder if I can put another layer down below the fridge to absorb the noise (and hopefully catch the leakage too).

Earthquake Proof

I got the impression that people bolt their base cabinets to the walls. But I'd think base cabs will not topple in an earthquake, right? I remember one EZ-Level video says they like to leave a gap (1/8"?) between the cabs and the wall for easy routing of some small pipes and cables. Does that mean some people don't fasten their base cabs to the wall at all? Is that okay?

Ant Proof

Currently, one or two times a year, ants make their way into the kitchen and make an unwelcoming scene. Are their any tips and tricks during a kitchen remodeling that can help effectively...

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH