SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squirt_gw

PB and decking pros, please help if you can:)

squirt
15 years ago

I have called around to the companies my pool builder buys from and WOW... and I thought I didn't know what I was talking about!

Seems many in the business don't either. Each place contradicted the last place. One woman told me a vein cut look has to do with the way it's installed, not cut (which isn't even logical obviously).

The last guy I spoke with was excellent IMO though.

I'd like to write some of his opinions/suggestions here and maybe you experts here can tell me if I'm on the right track?

Initially I wanted to mortar set on cement instead of sand setting my decking for a more formal look. But I was talked out of it because I as told mortar setting is MUCH more expensive, higher maintenance, prone to cracking the tile more, etc. This man I spoke with said he didn't think the costs should be tons more because of the high cost of cement and the difference in cost between a 5/8" tile and a 3" paver. SO, my question is...should both applications be close in costs? If so, should I re-look at tile/mortar setting instead of the sand setting for a more formal look or will using tile be too hot on the feet?

He also said they can provide cross or vein cut. but he suggested that is I do a vein cut that I should NOT do the French pattern I wanted because it would look too busy. opinions?

He also said most pavers and tile travertine being sold is "crap" and that I shouldn't buy it if it's from Turkey and other countries, and that theirs is from Mexico and is the higher quality. opinions?

He said he did not recommend using honed and filled for decking around a pool, and yet everything I've read says that honed and filled is not more slippery, is it?

I have been reading here, in the pools forums to NOT seal travertine because it becomes a maintenance pain. Yet this man said to absolutely seal & enhance it and those people with "peel or fading from the sun and heat" issues just did not have it sealed correctly to start with. Opinions?

Lastly, the entire reason I went with travertine over another stone product is because it's supposed to be cooler and smoother on the feet than any other stone. Is this really true or is travertine not worth the hassle?

Thanks all!

Deb

Comment