SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurainsdca

i've created a monster -- named dh! (lots of pics)

laurainsdca
16 years ago

Sorry if this story is a repeat -- but I know the pictures are new!

DH has a bit of a bah-humbug attitude at Christmas. But a couple years back I informed him that I was going to make a Christmas stocking for him. Once he realized this WAS happening, with or without his participation, he (somewhat belligerantly!) informed me that he wanted Santa in a beach setting.

Well, DO NOT CHALLENGE ME! So I cam up with the idea of Santa in a hammock between two palms on a deserted island and found fabric that already had Santa in beach settings on it.

Below is what I have come up with so far. AND NOW, seeing THIS, DH is suddenly insisting tha Santa have a SATELLITE TV and there be a COOLER and CORONA beer bottles at his feet. (If it sounds blasphemous to have Santa drinking, keep in mind that, apparently, this is Santa's "summer retreat" according to DH.)

I think I will try my hand at printing on fabric to make the beer bottles (and then fusible applique them on) Not sure about the rest yet. I could try to use the embroidery piece on my baby lock but I really don't want to deal with learning how to digitize the images and use it.

From what you see below I also plan to add some tiny beads and hand embroider to the water for sparkle and edging around the waves, some hand embroidery detail to the palm tree trunks, and, of course, some coconuts to the palm trees. I'm WONDERING about adding Christmas lights running round/up the trunks of the trees and into the frongs, but that might be "too much" -- we'll have to see...

PS -- DH LOVES IT so far.

Big Picture:

Applique Part:

Close up on Santa:

Close up on palm frongs:

Comments (22)