SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Shapes and Sizes of Area Rugs for MBR?

User
10 years ago

Another scope creep problem, and I will be eternally grateful to Sueb20 for the term :-)

When our pipes froze, burst and flooded the kitchen, it created a massive re flooring of the upstairs, as the wood floors we had were no longer available. And "while we were at it" --- classic scope creep justification--- we decided to pull up the carpet in the MBR and extend the wood flooring there.

So now we have a big room (approx 20 x 25 at widest point) that needs area rugs. Anyone who has read my basement posts probably knows that I am in seriously in love with the green gingham check Karastan carpet we are using downstairs. Well... It comes in a glorious YELLOW that would complement,the BM Hawthorne Yellow walls perfectly. Question is--- where, and how many?

Two runners, one on each side of the bed? Or two 4 x 6' rugs on either side of the bed? We will have to have a rug custom cut for our sitting area as there is a clipped corner there. Or, would a round rug be fun? It will be far more costly because of the waste, but might look better. Opinions?

Here is the room, ignore the unmade bed and the fact that I moved all lamps and anything breakable out. The bed dust skirt and 36" bedside drape table are a Laura Ashley toile bordered in a small sage check fabric from Ballard Designs applied on the bias. I also have a French chair for the secretary upholstered in the small check, and several months ago got a new sofa in the same check. The curtains are a Stroheim moire plaid of greens and yellow.
Of course the green looks a bit monotone, but see the design in yellow?

Is this a crazy idea with three dogs, two creeks, a pond, and a door to a deck where they go in and out? Not to mention DH who uses this door for the tennis court?

When they finished with the floor they pushed all the sitting area furniture back into a corner, and the coffee table is turned the wrong way so it looks too small for the space. The door in the middle of the back wall is the bathroom. I don't know if I want a rug in the traffic pattern.

The curtains need fluffing, they are in a highly compressed state of agitation :-)

The room with carpet:

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm