SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurensmom21_gw

henredon? dining set on CL

laurensmom21
14 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm cross posting this in the furniture section as well. I found this set on my local craigslist and am going to look at it tomorrow morning. She stated it was Henredon but when I saw the price she wanted I about fell over - $300 bucks for the whole set (table w/3 leaves plus pads & 8 chairs!) She said it extends to almost 12 ft with the leaves.

I know nothing about furniture, but I've been around this site long enough to know that it should be worth WAY more than that, right? Is there a way to find out when it was made? Any info would be appreciated! TIA!

Comments (34)

• someone2010
    14 years ago

Right, way more. If it is Henredon, jump on it. If not, looks like it still would be worth over $300.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

And reupholstering those chairs would be very very simple too...

I don't know if it's Henredon or not, but it looks like a good style with comfortable chairs and you can't go wrong with a table that extends to 12 feet. Just don't get all excited when you get there. You don't want her second-guessing her price.

Red

• Related Discussions

Dining room set on CL - deal or no deal? (pics)

Q

Comments (1)
    I never heard of American in Seattle. Many are going for the country look I don't think it will be going out of style anytime in the near future, hopefully we're making a come back as it is my personal favorite. As for the price it depends on the quality, if it is solid hardwood with no veneers, I would say $400 would be a fair price.
    ...See More

My new dining room set from CL $700

Q

Comments (21)
    Thanks everyone. :) Oceanna, Estreya - Yes, I'm definitely excited! When we got home, I almost regretted asking the seller if he could keep it for a few weeks longer. (Their house is for sale, and it shows better with more furniture. Meanwhile I wanted time to spruce up our old set and photograph it for sale in the DR instead of the garage. ) jerseygirl, The seller didn't know the manufacturer. It was bought 2 years ago at Freed's Furniture. Suero, good point about the glass top. We plan to brace it with a wooden block or cylinder painted black Lynn, I'll definitely post pics one of these days. I bet your DH's table was solid wood. This one is veneered, but even the veneer is high these days. (DH looked for some after we bought the table.) pharaoah - I just bought a beautiful tablecloth at LNT's closeout! Good thing it was under $20. I'm not sure what I'll do when we actually eat at the table. ;-) I'd really hate to cover it then, but neither do I want to risk the finish. When we get it home, I'll find out just what the finish is and how durable it is. As for not seeing things like this on your local CL, it's pretty rare around here, too. I'm glad it was worth slogging through all the postings to find this. Oddly enough I saw a coffee table that combined a similar grain with black accents yesterday, but it was gone by the time I went back to the listing
    ...See More

Help Please! Damaged Henredon CL Table.

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks, everyone! I figured it would be crazy expensive to restore the whole thing (and I could cover it up with a tablecloth in the meantime). I don't have any reason to doubt the seller (it was originally his parents' set and passed down years ago), but it would be kind of funny if it were dog damage since, unfortunately, that is not exactly an extraordinary occurrence in my household. :) I'm going to check it out in person tomorrow. The whole set is priced at $1k, which seems like a pretty great price to me, even assuming I'll have to have the table refinished and the chairs reupholstered, etc. Thoughts? I may need to start a new thread at some point for tips on making my dining room not look like a furniture store, too, haha. Thanks again for all the advice! It's very much appreciated. I don't like being uninformed! This post was edited by StellaMarie on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 21:49
    ...See More

What style is this dining set? CL link.

Q

Comments (7)
    Well, the paneled leg and skirt on the table are French-influenced, but the scale is beefier. It looks like a Western Regional furniture along the lines of Thomas Molesworth which is cabin- or ranch-deco, from the thirties and forties. (although the Molesworth is definitely more individual)-there is definitely a deco or moderne influence to the pieces along with a vaguely Native American medallion motif and "cloud lift" thing going on with the back rail. My guess is it could be any time in the mid century from forties to sixties.
    ...See More
  • nhb22
    14 years ago

One caution...look for mildew, warping and loose joints. The set appears to be stored in the basement or attic.

• laurensmom21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info! I'll report back later today after I go look at it :) Of course hubby is shaking his head at me because I already have a few furniture "projects" taking up space in our garage, but I just HAVE to go look at this one at least! I'm too curious not to, lol!

• parma42
    14 years ago

Oh, yes, make sure you look at it!

Even if you have to spiff it up, it will be more than worth it.

I'm really kicking myself for buying a new kitchen table. Wish I would have waited for something like I've linked below (which reminds me of your CL find). Wouldn't use the two cabinets but the solid walnut table and graceful chairs seem to be worth every penny.

Here is a link that might be useful: walnut

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I would say it's a highly desirable "look". CL is great!

• laurensmom21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wow parma - that is an AWESOME set too! Love it! A few years ago when we moved into our new house I bought a cheapo Target dining table so that's what we have right now, but it only seats 6. I've made the same mistake as you though - I bought a computer armoire brand new a few years ago for around $600ish because I was so impatient to have something. Of course now, I see them on CL ALL the time for $100 or under! Lessons learned, I guess :)

• User
    14 years ago

Nice set! Just curious about the Henredon name in general: What makes it "upper" end furniture? Higher than usual quality materials, handmade craftsmanship, or ... ?

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

PARMA - I NEED A TALL, NARROW CABINET!!! - We should buy that set together!

• peged
    14 years ago

Hi, laurensmom! I'm the mother of a Lauren as well, by the way though she'll be thirty-eight this year. I'm also a long-time lurker here. My husband with strong, long ago ties to Henredon says yes it is definitely Henredon and he can probably date it for you if you can show a pic of the markings on the bottom of a chair. Great buy!
    Peg

• parma42
    14 years ago

"PARMA - I NEED A TALL, NARROW CABINET!!! - We should buy that set together!"

Hahaha! I actually thought of your quest when I saw the pics.

DH would kill me if I told him how much I hated the piece of cr*p set we ordered from Macy's. NEVER believe the star ratings you read there. Those people must have really low standards. Chintzy "hand-painting" and cheap wood.

Tried to class it up by hiding two of the chairs and replacing them with two iron and leather Hardens that we kept from our old place.

Lipstick on a pig.

• laurensmom21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again everyone! I did end up buying the set - for $275 :) I've only got a few of the chairs home so far though - hubby has to go get the table and other chairs tomorrow with the trailer. It wouldn't fit in his truck with the topper on. He just shook his head at me when I told him I bought it. But I couldn't pass up such a great deal like that! Now I just need to figure out if I'm going to keep it (and possibly paint it? Would that be sacrilege to paint a Henredon?) Or possibly resell it? hmmm....

Peg, my Lauren is right here with me and she's 6 :) They grow up so fast, don't they? I would love for your dh to help me date it. I haven't found a mark on the chairs yet, but I did see one on the bottom of the table. I'll report back with a pic of the marking when we pick up the table tomorrow. Thanks again!

Christy :)

• dorothy9_gw
    14 years ago

I vote that painting it would equal sacrilege. Will this be used in your formal dining room or breakfast room?

• laurensmom21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dorothy, if we keep it - it would go in our eat in kitchen/breakfast room. Which is not very big (maybe 8x14 but open to kitchen). My problem is, I have a hard time passing up a good deal - even if I don't 'need' it right now :) We are planning to build a new house in 2-3 years, and I always think 'what if I need this in the new house?'. But dh does not share my penchant for furniture collecting, lol!

What if I painted the chairs and left the table wood? If I were to sell it, what would be a reasonable asking price? Not looking to make a fortune, but I think it's worth more than I paid.

Peg, my Lauren is my oldest and our sensitive child. Very compassionate and loves books & learning. Now her younger sibs Chloe (4) and Zach (2) are our pistols :) Not looking forward to the teenage years!

thanks again for everyone's input. It's nice to talk to others about things like this since if it doesn't involve power tools or some type of ball game, hubby is not too interested!

• jjam
    14 years ago

What a wonderful buy! If the wood is in good shape I wouldn't paint it; at least not right away. Try it out in your room and with some different fabric on the chairs. Have fun with it; looks like a treasure to me.

• beth4
    14 years ago

As one who paid full price for her Henredon dining table and 8 chairs in 1978, you got an amazing deal. My furniture has been moved across country every 3-4 years for the past 30 years, and it still looks beautiful. All I've had to do is periodically refresh the seat fabric by reupholstering. This fact attests to the quality of Henredon construction.

Given the beauty of Henredon wood work, and the care and craftsmanship put into the dining table (as evidenced by one of your photos), I definitely would NOT paint your new acquisition. To me, that would be a sacrilege....even if you purchased it for an incredibly low price.

Congratulations on your new quality furniture!

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

Paint it? noooooooooooooo! You've got yourself a quality set that is probably worthy of professional refinishing. It's in the category of "they don't make 'em like that anymore." Quality wood, no particle board, classic style, and the chairs even look comfortable.

I could see it stained darker, though I just would not try to do it myself. $275??? You got a STEAL!

• laurensmom21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey everyone! I finally got everything home and took some pics. I still can't decide what to do. I asked hubby to help me move it into our dining area so I could see what it looked like in the space and he was like, "can't you just visualize without doing moving it?!" lol! um... NO! Hopefully I'll convince him tomorrow - he had to work late tonight.

So here's the pics. The table has a few scratches and nicks, but nothing too horrible. It also sags just a *tiny* bit in the middle when all the leaves are in. I'm just not 100% convinced that it's my style (we're more farmhouse, country, coastalish if that makes sense). I'll have to think on it for a while. You can see in the last pic that one of the chairs' caning is broken a little. How do you fix that? The other chairs are in good shape except one of the captain's chairs arm is broken and needs reglued.

Peg - I would love to know if your dh could date it for me. Also, what kind of wood do you think it is? It's a medium brown color irl if that helps :)

Thanks again for all the input!

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

It's probably pressed cane - are there holes in the back that the cane goes through or not? You'd have to pull out the spline (the piece of rounded cane in the groove on the front side) and then pull out the sheet of cane and replace it with a new one. It can get a little messy. If you post a closeup of the damage maybe I can see if it can be repaired - might not be too noticeable if you paint it (not that I'm recommending painted that furniture!). Depends on how fussy you are - does it have to be perfect?

• laurensmom21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ajsmama - thanks for the tips. Definitely NOT fussy :) With 3 kiddos 6 and under we're all about cheap, casual, and kid friendly! Shoot, I don't even need all 8 chairs. We'll keep the broken ones in the basement probably - I was just curious if it was worth fixing. Thanks for your reply!

• blubird
    14 years ago

The caning looks like machine caning - the spline will pull out with some encouragement. The secret to replacing caning and spline is to soak both in water for a while so that it gets more supple. It's pretty easy to do - I've done it before. You'll have to search out some caning supplies on the internet and match up the caning - both the pattern and spacing can vary - and then it can be stained to match the chair once you're done.

The set is gorgeous and absolutely worth the time and money to repair.

Helene

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

The thing is, it's pretty easy for a novice to destroy the wood around/in the groove trying to get the spline out. If you're not fussy it can be repaired by cutting out the damaged pieces so the ends are hidden on the back (this works only on chairs that face you as you walk into the room, not chairs that have their backs to you!), then reweaving the hole and gluing the ends of the old cane and the new cane together on the back where they cross an intact piece. plus you'd have to use smoked cane or stain the replacement to match, which is why I mentioned painting the chairs.

Personally, I hate working with pressed cane - would much rather weave a seat. Easier to repair too (just replace the whole strand back to the hole in the frame).

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Oh, and if you're really not fussy, since it's only 1 area and not widespread damage, you could just buy a sheet of machine/pressed cane and cut out the damage as before, cut a patch to match the pattern and glue it into the back. But that will show more (both front and back) than reweaving.

• someone2010
    14 years ago

.You could call around to people who do these things and might get it repaired for $50 to $75. Or you could get a book and try it yourself. To get the spline out I took a large screwdrive with a square shank instead of round, grind off the ears and bend it 90% about 3/4" up from the top. Then grind the end on the back so it is shaped like a single edged chisel with the bevel on the back only. Then I drive it under the spline and pry up.

• organic_nettie
    14 years ago

If you seriously want to keep it, when you re-do the chair covers, maybe you can have the back slightly padded and covered with the same material and use it as an accent arm chair. My friend had a very simular set and it looked lovely in her dining room. She sold it about eight years ago and at that time she sold it for about three/four thousand. Of course she had a breakfront and small server.
    Anyway with a little tlc your set can look beautiful.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

I think it's perfect for farm/country decorating. If you're going to build a new house for sure in a couple of years, I'd pay someone to refinish the table, maybe in a darker stain if that's what you're looking for.

Great find!

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

As tommorrowisanotherday said, they don't make it like that anymore. Top of the line quality, you scored!

I bought a 1980's Drexel bedroom set, and wanted to date it so emailed the company with a few pics and number stamps I found. They were very helpful. They gave me the precise manufacture dates, plus wood and finish color used. I was considering getting a 2nd night stand, and they gave me the name of pieces in their more current lines that would go with what I have.

You can contact Henredon for more info here.

• jjam
    14 years ago

It is GORGEOUS and would be perfect for your style. The key is getting the right fabric on those chairs. I could see a buffalo check (not too large in scale) on them and it would be absolutely fabulous. I see a country french look that can be very shabby chic and casual in feel; the difference being, with this furniture, it's real quality. And for a young family, it will pay off. You are also so lucky to find a set with 8 chairs. They are rare. As for the sagging, I doubt you will use all the leaves too terribly often. Also, it lends itself to any number of options for a buffet/server, which, since it won't "match" exactly, is perfect for a less formal space. One other thing; sometimes the vintage Henredon can have a table height that is a bit low by today's standards. I have my mom's old Henredon table, and it was a tad low for DH and my son, so I put some clear plastic cups under the legs. You don't see them in the carpet, and they raise the table about 1/2 inch. They are designed to distribute the weight of the table on the carpet. Overall, I think it ranks right up there with the best ever CL purchases on this forum. Well done!!!!

• peged
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness! I didn't check this thread yesterday! Christy,
    DH will see what he can find out. We have some old product catalogs here at the house that may help. If you see a series of numbers on the table and/or chairs that would help very much. DH isn't sure about the wood. Says it may be walnut. I think the table and chairs are lovely.
    Peg

• peged
    14 years ago

Found them! They're from the 1000 series 'Provencial'. The wood is cherry. Painted finishes were offered :). There is no date but DH is reasonably sure that late 50's-early 60's is right. I'm going to try to post a picture from the catalogue. Well, that didn't work. Here's a link to the pics on Photobucket.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket

• shnz821
    13 years ago

Hi! I'm so glad I found this forum!! I just stumbled upon a gorgeous Henredon dining set at the local church thrift store and couldn't resist grabbing it up at the price of $250!!! It's a large dining table with 3 oversized leafs, 8 chairs (one of the arm chairs and one of the armless chairs have a little damage to the cane backs), and all pads (including the cloth bags to store them in). The whole set is in great condition with the exception of the cane back damage on the two chairs. The wood is patterned and is of a medium tone, the two "leg/pedestal" sections are a lighter painted wood. The chairs are done in the lighter painted wood too, with cane backs. I know the painted part is done by Henredon (and not aftermarket) as my parents had a VERY similar set from Drexel Heritage years ago and it was the exact same coloring/style (also the main reason I jumped on this set...nostalgia!). Speaking of which, does anyone know the relationship (if any) between Drexel Heritage and Henredon??
    Anyway, I'll be posting pictures shortly, but was hoping someone on here could help me ID the name/pattern of the set. There are two sets of numbers on the bottom "20-5301-51" and "543 L19". Any help would be greatly appreciated! We're not sure if we are going to keep the set or re-sell it, as it may just be too large for our dining room. Either way, I'd like to know the name.

• c w
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

wow, I know this is a super old thread but there were so many contributions I thought I would give a try to see if anyone could identify the style of my henredon cocktail table?

I am getting ready to move and was thinking of selling it, then randomly decided to check for markings and found this thread. I can't find a similar style anywhere online and hope someone might shed some light on its age and perhaps its value? Above the stamp under the drawer there is a handwritten "c 87" but I don't know what any of the markings mean.

I picked this up at a second hand store about 30 years ago and paid $40 for it --- I had no idea it was so special!

Any help is appreciated and thank you!

• c w
    5 years ago