SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattiem93_gw

$5.00 Thrift Store Lamps-Before and After

pattiem93
15 years ago

A couple of you asked to see the result of my latest little project, so here it is. We are on a VERY tight budget right now, so I do a LOT of repurposing. I found these 2 buffet lamps at our local PTA Thrift Store and paid 5 dollars for both (gotta love that!). The finish was a bit too "bright and brassy" for me so I took it down by dry brushing on some Minwax stain. I went just slightly heavier on a few of the details. They now look just a bit antiqued. The shape of the embroidered shades was nice, but I'm not a fan of plastic beads so I individually cut them off with a manicure scissor (sorry, Honey!). I used to do redesign and staging and one of my favorite things to do was to monogram select household items. One of my favorite things to have monogrammed was bedroom lampshades. A few weeks ago, someone posted in a blog about monogramming her shades and I was reminded that I hadn't done it in this house, soooo...

Off I went to dig through our craft supplies and found iron-on monograms. I didn't have 2 Ms for our last name, so decided to do our first initials. Can you guess which one is mine? :)

I then dug out some remnant pieces of silk trim that was left over from a job some years back and went to work with my hot glue gun. Here are the before and afters:

2 for 5 dollars!

Hard to tell in these pics, but the finish was very gaudy/bright

Plastic beads:

End Result-they look very pretty lit, but I couldn't get a pic of it with this camera. My 15 year old DD had a little "accident" with my good camera! I also just realized you can see I haven't rehung the draperies yet-not enough hours in the day. S-i-g-h...

Comments (17)