SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Pretty cabinet insides?

oceanna
15 years ago

What have any of you done to pretty up your cabinet insides? Did you paint them inside? Did you do some sort of shelf liner, and if so what sort and how do you like it? Did you ever try wallpaper as a shelf liner and if yes how did that work? Did you ever try fabric in there and affix it with wallpaper paste, or is that a bad idea? Did you decorate the back wall? Got pictures to share?

At this point I'm thinking about maybe using some of the fabric I never used up on the back insides of the cabs and using wallpaper paste so it could be taken out easily in the future. But I don't want to get a hernia doing it. Another thought is using up some of my leftover paints in all sorts of colors. Like I have almost a gallon of a pretty bright yellow and that's certainly cheery.

I got to thinking and a lot of what I own is really ugly and I know it would put me in a better mood to get more pretties. :o) Looking for low budget and not too difficult ideas here.

I just want to see pretty when I open my cupboard doors for a glass or mug, good idea? I've been buying some very pretty mugs... see link to pictures below and scroll down in that thread if you're curious...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty mugs

Comments (32)

• mcps
    15 years ago

I never really thought about that before - but I saw a Special K commercial tonight and this woman had some really cool looking red & white wallpaper inside her pantry. I think that WOULD make me happy!

• luckygal
    15 years ago

Congrats on the lovely mugs - I agree life is too uncertain to drink out of unattractive mugs. I've had a lovely Denby mug for many years and don't use anything else except when we are camping when I use a large hand thrown pottery mug.

I bought an old vintage 30's sideboard in really ugly condition and my DH reinforced it so it is sturdy and painted the outside black and the inside of the cabinets and drawers red. I love it. It has Queen Anne legs and good proportions so was worth redoing.

I have used light wallpaper to cover the back of a dark unlighted hutch to make more contrast with the dishes. It worked well altho I used double faced tape to hold it in place and would not do that again as it didn't lay completely flat, guess I could have used more tape but I think there are easier ways.

I have plans to cover cardboard with fabric, musical scores, interesting handmade paper, or wallpaper to fit the backs of my hutch but have procrastinated on doing that. Having a difficult time deciding which to use! I will do it soon tho now that I've just bot new (old) transferware dishes to display. I plan to cut the cardboard so it's a tight fit and I won't have to glue it to the hutch, just press it in place (I think). That way I can change it when I want to display different dishes.

I have used old crocheted doilies as liners and hanging down over the edge of the shelves in my hutch for cottage interest. I've also used heavy paper I got on a roll at a yard sale to line drawers and shelves. It's probably the paper that florists use to wrap flowers but is an attractive color and design. Came with the paper holder and cutter and is one of my good yard sale buys.

I never glue shelf liner down, just fit it well and it lays flat.

If you have never decoupaged with fabric my experience is that the fabric stretches a bit so be prepared for that.

• Related Discussions

Pretty Yellow and Orange Photos inside- Click Me :)

Q

Comments (31)
    Lovely pictures everyone! Coffeemoms picture Carmem wanted the name of is cornukaempferia aurantifolia. Mine just started to sprout I am surprised how far along yours is. Beautiful. Trini I tried to make mine a standard also which is why I hate the thorns. LOL everytime I went to trim it I found an excuse why it didn't really need it. I would love to see a picture of your plant sometime, I bet its beautiful.
    ...See More

Pretty Purple Flowers Inside-Click Me :)

Q

Comments (22)
    Tibouchina Granulosa "Purple Glory Tree" I saw in Naples last year. Just beautiful. I have one on order but I am sure will take a few years to look this good.
    ...See More

Pretties Inside and Outside

Q

Comments (11)
    I was so happy to see that you shared photos of your wonderful 'family' with all of us. I just want to reach into the computer and pet them all! It does my heart good to see that these cuties have a loving home. The thing about cats that appeals to me most of all is their eyes....they are so expressive. Luca has the kind of eyes I could get lost in...I would fall in love with him in a millisecond! Bless sweet Mo...I am so glad she found you! And Cheese...his face reminds me of my Fat Cat Nemo. I used to have a blue-eyed cat named Shasta and everytime I took her picture her eyes came out red, so even though Ethel looks kinda bloodshot here I know she has those gloriously beautiful eyes. I love all of your sweethearts, and thanks for introducing them to us! As for the daylilies, they too are wonderful! I like them all but if I had to pick favorites I would go with 'Garden Dancer' and 'Grand Amazon'. Celeste
    ...See More

What do the insides of your cabinets look like?

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I didn't mean to suggest that he did not sand the insides at all, because you can tell it has been sanded. It just isn't sealed with anything. It appears to be just sanded plywood. I agree with the person who stated that the HD or Lowes cabinets seem better than what I am dealing with. I have thought the same thing I went there today and he said in all the cabinets he has ever done through the years, he has only been asked to finish the insides of one set. He said we could stain it if WE wanted to but most people don't bother :/ I knew I moved to the sticks, BUT good greif :/ He is in the process of changing a few things on the cabinets as we speak. He will be removing the stiles on the top and bottom of the cabinet you all saw. That will make them a little more functional anyway. He is changing a few drawers, not all. I think he is trying to make me happier, anyway. As to why he did them the way he did in the first place, I guess I will never know. I guess I will look into some of your suggestions for the inside. I am just so tired of dealing with the man at this point. Thanks guys!
    ...See More
  • oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mcps, I think it's time we thought of it, don't you?

Thanks, Lucky! Aren't they fun? I figured those would put me in a good mood. Your sideboard sounds wonderful! When you're ready to post a pic of it... I use http://tinypic.com/ as that makes it so easy.

I honestly can't see any reason not to go ahead and glue wallpaper, then hit it with a few coats of poly. If you get tired of it you could always paint over it, or paper over it. Now I wouldn't do that on furniture, but there's nothing sacred about the inside of kitchen or bath cabs in my thinking.

For your hutch, the cardboard is exactly perfect. Why not make it reversible? One look for winter and another for summer? You could affix tiny ribbons to the top to make it easy to pull out.

I have used old crocheted doilies as liners and hanging down over the edge of the shelves in my hutch for cottage interest.

I just love that look. Here's a pic I found that makes me think maybe I could just paint the shelves white and hot glue some lace trim. Would that look stupid in a kitchen, do you think? I think this look is so much prettier than what I have now, which is just dark ugly wood, or whatever it is.

Another in the same house...

I know that's not everyone's style, but that sure would make me feel pampered... and a lot better about what a guest might see if she opened my cupboard.

Thanks about the warning on the fabric stretching. I can see me now with gooky wet fabric that ends up too fat to fit on a shelf back, and cursing as I try to peel it back and cut it with scissors. Doesn't sound very appealing.

Here is another one. Isn't this yummy?

Now look at what THIS GAL did to her kitchen cabinets? Amazing, isn't it? If you scroll all the way down, you'll see she glued down the wallpaper, and poly'ed over it to make it last -- very smart. Well, here's one shot... but you really should go see the whole layout from before to after.

Here's more...

These were done with scrapbooking paper:

This one is in a closet and the gal printed out antique pictures of her ancestors to put in there too.

A cheery bathroom drawer before and after...

Now I'm going to watch for that Special K ad and check out the gal's pantry.

I hope more people will post to this with their ideas and experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look at these papers!

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I use drawer lining paper in the back of my secretary, held up by earthquake gum (It's not really a gum, but a sort of sticky putty) or 3M squares. I change it out pretty often.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dlm, I've often thought about that too, and you're right it's a challenge. I think a lot of those pics we see in magazines were posed, too, and it's not like that IRL.

Sometimes we don't want another layer to wade through, but sometimes it's beneficial. That's where it helps to find nice baskets, or pretty papered boxes to hold some things. That also helps keep certain things grouped, like I have a box in the medicine cabinet that is just for colds/flu, one that's just hair care, one that's just summer, and so on. In my other bath I kept a lot of "used all the time" stuff on a shelf and it looked awful, so I bought three turquoise baskets and they hide, and sort, all my stuff. I find it helps to take measurements, write them down, and stick them in my purse along with a dressmaker's tape measure. Then when I get to the store I can find just the right fit to utilize my space.

Ideefixe, I need to look into this earthquake gum. It sounds really useful. Are you using the scented papers? Where do you get what you use?

The rest of you don't line any of your shelves?

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dlm, your comments made me think about this picture that I found yesterday. No fancy treatments on the shelves, but a great example of hiding icky clutter...

While I was looking for that, I found this too. Okay, neat and tidy, but the paper adds something special.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bump for DLM.

Besides, I think even if it's not perfect... even if the contents aren't beautiful... we can still improve on it.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

I wanted to paint the insides of our cabinets (still do) but Hubby said it would be too much work and not really worth it. He did, however, paint the edges of the shelves (which were icky). They look much better painted.

Best pic I have:

From Kitchen

Just noticed you can see my mugs...

I love the lace idea. May steal that for the closet.

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

oceanna, you always find the prettiest inspiration pictures.

• dana1079
    15 years ago

Does it look like the last pic in the first post by oceanna (the purple bookcase) that the back is simply 'wrapped' maybe with gift paper?

It definetely looks like it's folded behind the back portion...and what a GREAT idea for those unsightly ugly bookcase backs!

I'm inspired!

As far as mugs go...I saw the CUTEST thing in a kitchen, so instead of putting your beautiful mugs INSIDE the cabinets, they build a little shelf just under the cabinet to hold them...painted it the same color as the cabinet, and looked built in! It was on the kitchen forum here and SUCH as smart idea...

I also love this!

What a cute way to display your mugs and make it function as art using an old mirror frame and building it into a shadow box!

• ronbre
    15 years ago

absolutely great ideas..i have lined my antique secretary with torn old cook book pages..photographed that on here a couple months ago..

I have also done several of the same ideas that you have had mentioned above..

I think when you open ANYTHING..be it a cabinet, drawer, box, medicine cabinet, whatever..you should make it beautiful inside..if you don't line it or line the shelves..at least have things stored inside that are done beautifully..and if you can have something personal in it..a photograph..sachets..etc..something pretty to look at.

We should even consider things like the inside of the refrigerator..pretty containers, bowls of fruit..storing cut flowers in the frig overnight so they are there when you wake up in the morning..stuff like that.

I am a big fan of the Alexandra Stoddard books, she even puts a bright rug on the floor inside her closets..

everything in your house should be just as beautiful on the INSIDE as on the outside when you open it up.

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

Oh, those last 2 are so nice!

What I'm putting together from this is if your shelf contents are fairly simple and have a cohesiveness either in color or type of object, the backing can(should?) be more vibrant. If the contents are more varied in color and subject matter, keep the backing and shelf edging more subtle.

There are gorgeous papers available - I love looking at them at The Paper Place and seeing their ideas for use. I have beautiful paper I plan to use as matting for hand painted oriental characters.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pbrisjar, I see your pretty mugs. I think you need more of them. lol! It deffinitely looks a lot better with the edges of the shelves at least painted. I'm thinking about painting mine inside with leftover paint (I've got too much of it). I'll just use one of the little sponge rollers and it should go very fast and not be difficult. Have you tried those? I love them! Do it yourself and don't ask hubby. I love the lace idea too and it would be so good for a linen cabinet. I think I'll paint the inside of my linen closet lavender.

Mitchdesj, thanks! I love pretty inspiration pictures. They keep me going on the work end of things.

Dana, are you asking about the makeshift bar/bookcase? That one deffinitely looks to me like someone put wrapping paper around cardboard and just shoved it back there. I saw a show on HGTV where a gal painted cardboard one color on one side, and then put a map on the other side, and she could reverse it. Smart, huh? Thanks for the picture you posted -- so cute! If you ever run across that mug shelf pic I hope you'll post it here, and thanks for the ideas. I'll have to think about that as these mugs I got sure are pretty.

Ronbre, I love your attitude and ideas. Hadn't thought of a bright rug on the floor in a closet. I missed your cookbook backing picture. Could you post it again, please?

Dlm, glad you came back and good observations. I just bought some of that rubbery shelf paper yesterday to go under my mugs and it's way too busy. I'm going to take it back.

Here's another example of just using pretty containers to clean up clutter. This would work just as well behind closed doors as in the open.

And this is pretty cool with just painting everything violet...

But mainly I was wondering how you all use shelf papers and the like? Do most of you have no shelf lining in your kitchen cabs?

You know... I'm wondering if that beadboard wallpaper might not look really great on the backs of our cabinets?

• dana1079
    15 years ago

We just finished remodeling our kitchen and we painted all our old honey oak cabs white...

So I spent about 4 hours REMOVING shelf liner!

Now I have the kind that isn't sticky on the back...just simple white, it's sorta a mesh spongey like material.

I think the shelves are very cute decorated and I'd love to see that on a bookcase etc. but after all my hard work PAINTING the inside, crawling into the corner cabs to make sure they were perfect, no streaks etc. I couldn't bring myself to put anything sticky on them!

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I used to use pretty shelf lining paper but now that I have painted the interiors of my cabinets, I use that shelf stuff that prevents things from sliding, hopefully not knocking over my crystal which I can easily do. I am short and I will try to grab it and sometimes I have knocked things over, so this liner is similar to the stuff that helps you grip the tops of things to open them, and it also is an open weave that prevents mildew if something is not quite dry, kinda ivory color and has a lace-like weave.

I do have taupe-sort-of-colored cabinets and some of the doors have glass and in those cabinets with glass doors, I have painted the backgrounds almost black (very dark green).

I do have Laura Ashley wallpaper lining most of my antique dresser drawers and I clean them with vodka to prevent odor and prevent insects due to bacteria, but i also put lavender in the drawers in little tussy mussy like thingies.

I have never had the vodka remove the glue or wallpaper. It evaporates pretty quickly and keeps down rancid odors of older furniture and that which might have nicotine odors from the past. Did you ever wonder why some antique shops smell clean and others don't. It's the vodka, dahlink.

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

Vodka??? You're kidding me!
    A small detour here...... Speaking of smells - many years ago my parent bought an antique rolltop lap desk (I'm sure there's a proper name for it but I don't know it). They wanted to to use it to hold my dad's cufflinks and tie tacks/bars (he had quite the collection!) but it had a terrible musty, damp smell to deal with first. My mom made a sachet with crushed cloves, star anise and cinnamon sticks and tucked it in the back. Both my parents are gone, as is the sachet but I use the desk for jewelry now and every time it's open there is the faint scent of spices. Love it!

I have shelf liner on some shelves in my kitchen but not the decorative kind - it's strictly utilitarian to prevent pots from making black marks or glassware from slipping.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I never heard of cleaning your drawers with vodka. And your clothes don't smell like booze after?

I found some more pictures...

Something for about every style. Does that inspire anyone?

• jillyjax
    15 years ago

I papered the inside of my "Jackson press" because my flo blue cabinet plates weren't showing up against the aged, darkish wood. I didn't want to paint or use wall paper paste (suppose that could be washed off - but that sounds rather painful.) Goal was to preserve value of the antique. I removed the shelves and used about 6 thumbtacks (someday, someone will think worm holes :) My paper was a narrow wedgewood blue and white stripe and on the blue, I used a little paint on the blue stripe thumbtack to make it disappear. At the time wedgewood blue was in. I do wish it would come back.

In the 80's, I used crocheted pieces on the shelves. Depends on the look desired. At that time I was a little more French country. You could use a more tailored look - a hemmed fabric napkin folded so that the front edge doesn't extend beyond the shelf...good luck.

Tired Jilly

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What's a Jackson press? Very clever painting your thumbtacks, Jilly. Napkins could be great on the right shelf.

At the time wedgewood blue was in. I do wish it would come back.

When I was young, just married, we decorated with what was "in." It didn't take long for it to go "out" and there we were stuck with what was out. Never again. Give me something that's timeless, that never goes out of style, and if I want a color -- any color -- I'll by gum have it. So if you love wedgewood blue, I say splash it all over and enjoy it!

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I have used paper doilies and real crocheted doilies on my shelves as well as some that I made with scalloped edges in checks.

Yes, alcohol is a disinfectant. what makes antiques smell is bacteria. alcohol is a disinfectant, kills bacteria. you can use listerine but it is very expensive and does not dry as fast and might discolor. Any alcoholic drink is good but cheap vodka is well, cheap, and it kills bacterial odors. You may have to repeat in summer, warm weather, breeds bacteria that were not killed off previously but you can buy cheap vodka and do this 1-2 times per year. It dries very, very quickly and leaves no odor, just eliminates the musky bacterial odor.

• susie100
    15 years ago

Oceanna, are you going to move these pics to the Gallery side to future referral? If so, many thanks.
    Susan

• luckygal
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the lovely pics! Reminds me of a pic I saw, maybe someone on this forum?, where she had used old recipe book pages in the back of her china cabinet and arranged boxed teas and tea related china. It was a very nice cottage look which I may have to copy.

Good idea about making the cardboard backing reversible - good for someone who can't make up her mind (like me!), at least it would be easier to narrow my ideas down to two instead of only one!

• jillyjax
    15 years ago

Hi Oceana -
    Although she is not a Jackson and she called it before I married a Jackson, Jackson press is what my mother called it :)

It is a 8' tall cabinet piece.

It has a lower, deeper, 2 wooden door section and then above has two more shallow, wooden framed, glass doors that are topped by a molding.

I like to follow my mother's lead, calling it a Jackson press, because it is in the Jackson (my married name) household.

I am looking for Wedgewood blue (rather than turquoise or teal) fabrics to use in the living room to accompany my bluebonnet oil painting and cabinet plates in the dining room and having a tough time!

Jill

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Patricia, thanks for the information. That's a new one on me but it looks like a good one to remember.

Susie, I wasn't going to, but I just went and saved most of them so I could fulfil your request. They'll show up in different threads, in different installments, and you're very welcome.

Lucky, you're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed them. I wish we had the picture you saw. I think matt board from the art store would work best. I'd tuck a ribbon around behind it and leave wee tabs out the top and bottom to be able to remove it easily.

Jill, aha! I get it. Good luck with your fabrics. Sometimes it is tough, but you'll find what you want if you keep looking.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Yeah, I do need more, cuter mugs. Didn't see anything that jumped out at me when I took a look last night, though.

Amusingly enough, I just realized that the pic I posted was when we were cutting the liner for our shelves. You can see the roll and scissors on the counter. It's the basic waffley stuff. We bought it just before they came out with the solid stuff, unfortunately.

I definitely need more pretty in my life, but I also have to pick and choose due to all the things happening in my life.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pbrisjar, I gave you a link to the poppy mug -- I think in the conversations side.

I have a question for everybody. Can I use spray paint inside my kitchen cabinets? Or will it go all over my kitchen? Seems like it would be so much faster/easier to get the far recesses that are hard to reach. Would you try it?

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

The spray paint would make a mess in your kitchen - the overspray creates tiny paint droplets that float and the spray action creates air current so those droplets will travel who knows where. You'll find it all over.

Painting the insides of cabinets is one of life's biggest PITA, especially if you have shelves that are not removable. Every time I find a bookcase at a garage sale and think to myself - oh a bit of paint and it will be so cute - I have to smack myself *hard* and remember how much I hate painting them!! And that's with a freestanding item that I can turn, walk around and flip upside down if I need to. Cabinets fixed to a wall make you do the contortions instead of the other way around.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bummer, but that's what I feared. Yes I agree that painting the insides of cabs is a PITA. However, I found it goes a lot faster with one of those little spongy rollers. The long handle helps you reach far away without getting a hernia. The spongies rinse clean easily in the sink. Might take two coats, though.

But you can spray a bookcase, very easy and quick. See the bookcase at the bottom of my stairs (yeah I know that one is little), as pictured in my other active thread. Piece of cake.

On a hunch I looked in CL last night and I found a gal selling four rolls of wallpaper for $5, and she lives just blocks from here. I picked 'em up this afternoon. The background on these is more of a beige/gold than shows in the pictures. I am eager to unroll one and see what I've got but I think they will make great cabinet/drawer liners.

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

Like I need another project. haha

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Since those pics are gone (CL listing taken down), here is what I ended up doing in my kitchen, in case anyone missed it...

I just started doing the cabinets, and so far only have this one shelf done (but I get to show off my pretty new mugs)...

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I love your mugs. I might have to steal that idea. I collect tea cups and have a cabinet which I pushed out the wood panel and put in glass, where I place them as well as my chamber pots and some Italian hand-painted glasses that a now-deceased friend gave me for Christmas before he died. They are beautiful and deserve a special place for more than one reason.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Patricia! I love them too, and I'm drinking a lot more tea just to play with them -- hehe. Plus there's always a pretty one clean for the bathroom, and even if there's a dirty one on the counter, it's pretty. I'm really glad I decided to get rid of my old mugs and replace them with these. Might not seem like much to some, but it gives me a lift several times a day (I'm easy, haha).

I would love to see pics of your pretty tea cups and of your chamber pots and handpainted Italian glasses. Can you post some here please?

Now, what are you thinking of doing? You mean wallpapering your cabinet? I'm just feeling good every time I open one of my kitchen drawers, so I say go for it! That project is only costing me $5 and a little paint and poly, and it's making a huge difference. What was dark and lifeless before is now filled with light and grace. I did my bathroom drawers too... so if guests snoop they'll get a pleasant surprise.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH