SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mistydatn

What do the insides of your cabinets look like?

mistydatn
12 years ago

Ok...anyone who has read my last post on my partial overlay cabinets and tiny drawers, knows that I made a big mistake choosing my cabinet man. HUGE mistake. Sadly, there is almost nothing I love about my soon to be cabinets...and short of tearing them all out and starting over, not much I can do about it. Before you you say it, I know it is partly my fault and how incredibly stupid I have been from the get go...

Soooo, It recently occurred to me how terrible the insides of the cabinets look. I mean I feel like I will get splinters if I rub my hand across them. They are rough and ugly and have no kind of finish at all. I had assumed that he intended to do something more with them...BUT I was wrong:/ He said he never does anything to the inside, if WE wanted something else done to the insides, we'd have to do that ourselves. WHAT?!?!

I wondered if this is normal in the custom world, so I went to look at my sister's cabinets and her cabinet finish is the same on the inside as the outside. Smooth and pretty. (She lives in a different state or I would have used her guy).

I guess my question is, what do I do to the insides of the cabinets now? Leave them with rough wood and no finish, paint them, use the old fashioned shelf liner stuff to cover it?

I know most of you probably didn't have this problem(if any of you), but I am at my wits end with this whole thing!If I had the money to just start over from scratch with a different cabinet maker, that is what I would do! He is almost finshed and on the way out. I still may have another cabinet maker come make improvements later because I think this man is truly stuck in the 70's or 80's and my cabinets reflect every bit of it :( I don't want him "fixing" anything else! I know it's just a kitchen and just cabinets but they are low quality, cheap hardware, flimsy drawers, non functional, old fashioned cabinets with a terrible finish in a brand new house. I am so dissapointed :(

Comments (16)