SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caulk_king

Owner Financing. Is it a good idea in my situation?

caulk_king
16 years ago

Hi - I have a property that I am considering putting on the market. We'd like to take the profit (we don't owe anything on it so it's all money in the bank) and pay off our current house with a mortgage of 6.65% on one loan & 7.25% on the other. At the same time, we've also been looking for a weekend/eventual retirement lake house that I'd like to use a chunk of it for.

Got a call today from someone that got wind of us possibly listing it soon. They asked if we'd consider owner financing with a "sizable" down payment. We haven't talked any money with them or even set a sales price because we just aren't there yet.

I think it's a no go because I'd rather have the money to pay off our mortgage & be done with it. DH says "not so fast"....

Yes, I understand that we'd make more in the long run, but really, how much more since we'd still be paying interest on our own loans. Plus you have the added inconvenience of having to actually get a payment every month from them. Yes, if they default you kick them out, but that's time consuming & can be expensive. Wouldn't we have to charge more in interest than any going bank rate to offset the money we're still paying interest on to accomodate them?

Another thing - what if they've start renovations or something then just walk away? We'd be left worse off than we started.

Any thought appreciated!

Comments (11)