SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisk327

2nd mortgage question

chrisk327
15 years ago

I have a question, I'm not sure if its the right forum.

I currently own my home and used 2 mortgages to purchase it, putting 10% down.

1 is a 30 yr through a govt program at 4.25 fixed

the 2nd was a 10 year at 6% fixed.

I'm about 4 years into it. House was purchased at 330K now would go for somewhere between 350K and 370K. I have about $100K of equity in the home. I want to do a second story addition and would borrow an additional 80K-100K for that.

So I'm sitting at 70% LTV now. If I borrow 100K assuming current Market value I"d be at 100%. obviously no go. If I do the addition, value should be in the $450-$500 range, so LTV would be 77%.

I guess the question is how to finance the addition? I was thinking at the end of it, I want to keep my 1st mortgage, and the 2nd would get rolled with the addition debt into a second mortgage, but do they give mortgages based upon the planned value assuming I have plans etc?

Or am I going to have to go through an alternative means of funding it, then roll it together later? My parents have a LOC I could borrow against, and I have a 401k I could get a loan from and obviously savings in the bank. Between the 3 I could cover construction costs, then get the cash out to pay back, but of course thatÂs more cumbersome.

Comments (6)