SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leafy02

Having Area Rugs Cleaned--What do YOU do?

leafy02
12 years ago

We have a wool flat-weave rug in our living room. It is 3 years old and as it's the only rug on this floor, we don't haul the vacuum up the stairs to sweep it, we just use a broom when we do the floors and it looks fine.

Alas, courtesy of our demonic Pomeranian, it doesn't smell fine. She pees on it about once a month*, and despite spot cleanings, it is now officially "smelly".

Local rug cleaners will take it away, clean it and deliver it back for $150. That seems fine for three years' worth of cleaning, but if there is a cheaper way that just as effective, I'd be happy to know about it.

*Please, no dog training advice. I have successfully housetrained more than a dozen dogs to perfection but this whack job came from a shelter as an adult with zero training and more OCD and behavioral problems than you can shake a stick at. She just won't train past this point and no, she won't sleep in a crate--we tried that for 18 months and she barked. the. entire. time. I can't afford the divorce! On the other hand, if you can arrange for Cesar Millan to come stay with us and work with her, PM me and I'll give you my address!

Comments (22)