SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
califlower_gw

How do I talk the wife into this?

califlower
16 years ago

We bought a house in Texas, and while my wife looked for one with a pool, she didn't find one she liked. She bought a very new home on 1/2 acre, and now, as I promised, she wants to put in a pool, mostly for her niece's kids (she had one yesterday!). I posted to a similar topic here about how much I enjoyed the Doughboy lap pool we put in our first home several years ago. It was 44X12 and 4ft. deep, and we used it for the kiddies, but with the adults, we played bad mitten. It was perfect for that, with the water resistance limiting your range, almost like a tennis court is "right sized", or the distance to first base provides the right opportunity for bunting. Now, my wife has visions of kidney shaped, freeform pools, but I would love to talk her into the same dimensions as that lap pool, with the botton tapering from 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 in the middle like I've read here. Because I have no landscaping yet, I could orient the pool to have steps on one or both ends, a ledge on one or both sides, and I supposed even a spa on one end and steps on the other, or a spa in the middle on one side. Before I make my case, I would really appreciate the information and opinions offered by this forum. So, what do you think? Especially, what would be the flaws in my design approach, and if it isn't too bad, what could I do to sell her on the design? Just keep in mind I want both sides of the "court" to provide an equal playing experience for competing teams. In fact, just like in volleyball and tennis, we would change ends because the wind would effect your shots. (Wind! Texas! Maybe I found a flaw!) It really is a blast, and you don't have the jumping/spiking at the net element that is an essential (and dangerous) part of volleyball. Thanks!

Comments (8)