SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

do i talk to her about this, or just try to brush it off?

pammyfay
10 years ago

Recently at work, I learned that there was a collection taken up for a co-worker who's had some home issues (his car died, his wife has had a string of hospitalizations in the past year, a son was bullied, among them). He's not leaving, some people just decided they wanted to do something nice for him and his family.

We work in the same department, and in relatively tight quarters; all the employees (less than 50) within that department, I believe, have had a cordial relationship.

Many, many people -- some from other departments he previously worked for -- were made aware of the collection effort, but not everybody, including some within that department (incl. myself).

I don't know why the coordinator of this decided to pick and choose, but I'm really annoyed that an assumption was made about me and my likelihood of helping (I don't give to everything, esp for going-aways with people I hardly have contact with -- like somebody in another department). I also feel that there are consequences to this picking and choosing by the organizer: This person was given the gift in a public manner, with a card. I can't imagine that he looks at everybody in the same way now -- he knows who was a part of it, who wasn't, and has no way to know why that was.

Do I talk to the coordinator of this -- who happens to be a higher-grade worker (an equally tricky situation) -- and share my feelings? Yes, part of this is water under the bridge now, but I can't help but feel that this has really harmed my relations with co-workers who know I was not at the gathering and simply assume the worst of me. Compound all of this with basically having a 'thin skin' -- this is really troubling me.

(In the past, I have offered to cover him when he needs time away, and I'm sure there'll be occasions to do that again.)

Comments (25)