SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurainsdca

Two for the toil of one (Pics)

laurainsdca
16 years ago

I have a report from the field!

As I kept giving away quilts I made, I got the idea to make TWO tops at once. How much harder could it be??? One to keep, and one to give. Since reading the directions and figuring out how to cut the fabric feels like 75% of the work to me, I thought it would be just as easy to make two as it is to make one. SO, I started on TWO cow quilts  one for my family reunion raffle and one for me.

Well the tops are done! And I have some pros and cons to my little idea. First let me say that overall: The idea is a WINNER in my opinion. But it wasnÂt QUITE as simple as I anticipated. (It never isÂ)

The Cons:

- There were times when it did feel like I was sewing, and sewing, and sewing. And sewing.

- This pattern was pretty complex (and poorly described, IMO but then you can search out my rant about it on here if you want to go through that again!) But as a result, I had to keep refiguring out "what the heck am I doing now???" So that did take longer than it would have for just one top.

The Pros:

- I would be an exaggerator if I was it was JUST as fast to make two tops as one. BUT It was MUCH faster than doing two separate patterns. If it took 10 hours to make one top, IÂd say it too me 13 to make these two (as opposed to 20 to do two separate patterns)

- NOW I have my own quilt top to KEEP so I wonÂt feel IÂve given away a one of a kind top that I can never repeat.

Other considerations:

-It takes a lot of fabric, so you have to make sure you have enough of any one print.

- This pattern was good in that it had cows, and trees, and fences  so as soon as I thought I was sick to death of a process I had a new one to move on to.

-Quilting them obviously wonÂt be any faster!

Here they are. They turned out BEHEMOTH, BTW  I had to stand on my kitchen counter to take this picture. They took up the whole living room floor. These are just the tops. I did the green and pink/reds different in the two  so I took some close ups so you can compare if youÂre interested.

One I'll give away:

The one I'll keep:

Green/Red/Pink from the one I'm keeping:

Green/Red/Pink from the one I'm giving away:

Comments (24)