SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gina_w_gw

Timing, timing, timing

Gina_W
16 years ago

I'd like some input from all you smart folks. I'm in the market for either:

1) buying a bigger house and renting the one I'm in now - this means taking out a mortgage.

2) buying a condo and renting it out - this I could pay cash, and the rental market is tight here - I could rent it right away and have cash flow.

My concerns are: my area is one of the most expensive in the country. So I could look at this year as a grand opportunity to "move up" while sales are tanking and buyers get desperate.

If I take a mortgage, I've been told by realtors that they think the rates will go up drastically after the elections. And they are also telling me I should buy now or just after the summer high season, but before the election.

The low-end condo market is tanking steeply here - too many condo-conversions and lots of flippers looking to get out have driven the prices down quite a bit. The worry here is - how low can it go?

Without the benefit of a crystal ball, I am going back and forth about these options. Any feedback from you agents and other pros and investors out there? Do you agree with the advice I've gotten so far?

Comments (8)