SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deannabsd

Roll Call-where is everyone

deannabsd
16 years ago

I was looking through some postings from fall and it seems that there are people that we have not heard from for a long time? Anyone heard from nancii or laura(from Sioux City, Ia. I think) as well as many others.

How about if we check in and say hi and what we are working on.

Deanna in South Dakota and I am working on a quilt for my niece of sawtooth stars.

Who is next?

Comments (53)

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

I should be making a Slide Show quilt for myself, but got hooked by a sampler-type quilt that is also being made by some other people (140 6" blocks, if I make them all, and I want to put in narrow sashing, too!). It is proceeding slowly because DH asn I are working at editing some Japanese-English translations that have multiple deadlines, I am working on our income tax return, and we are expecting a relative from the East Coast to visit us for 8~9 days soon. (Which means a lot of cleaning I might have let go with a lick and a promise, otherwise.) But I'm here, and I check out this forum and one other several times a day.

• love2sew
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm Jean from Saskatchewan, Canada. I am working on BD blocks, pincushion and string quilt blocks. I have a cast on my wrist so I'm limited right now. I surely enjoy seeing all the interesting threads and pics posted,
    Jean

• Related Discussions

Wintersowers roll call- everyone check in!

Q

Comments (150)
    Dan here from Traverse City Michigan. This'll be my first year wintersowing, and have a deep intense feeling it won't be my last! LOL!!! Had my first "garden" when I was 3, and haven't quit since. Can usually be found over in the round robin forums, "quietly" stirring things up! hehehe Got pushed over here by bakemom a few months ago, quickly edumacated about the whole ws thing, and have been saving milk jugs ever since. Right now I'm busy harvesting veggies and seeds, when not on the phone with my S.O. who is currently living in New York. But, she's moving in with me soon! Yay! Yay! Yahoo!!! Anything else y'all want to know? Just ask! -Dan, the New Bee
    ...See More

Roll call for where you live

Q

Comments (39)
    I live in South Arlington. I'd be happy to get connected with people in the area. I'm 28 and I'm a computer technician and supervisor at Staples and my fiancee works at Lockheed Martin. We've been here about a year and I'm a bit of a social butterfly without any friend flowers, lol. Feel free to send me emails via my profile.
    ...See More

Roll Call - Where are you? continued

Q

Comments (43)
    I'm in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada. Very near Niagara Falls and about an hour from Toronto. In the Fruit and Wine Belt. It's Strawberry season now!
    ...See More

Head Count/Roll Call: Who is still here? Thank you for your replies!

Q

Comments (92)
    Thank you all so much for your replies! It's wonderful to see so many of you slogging through the Houzz changes in order to remain in touch, sharing your words and your photos. I hope others continue to chime in as they check in with the forum in between scheduled summer activities and in spite of current technological difficulties. Titian, thank you for the information about Florence's last posting. I may have missed it since it was located on a thread which began with another topic. I wish there were some way to reach her just to say how much it meant to share the exchanges that we did. We even shared family history and photos and artwork. Mary, I have no idea if Houzz ambushed the Furniture Forum with my post after the fact or whether I neglected to deselect the FF as a suggested cross posting site. I THOUGHT I deselected everything but Antique Roses. Since we will never know, and I prefer to maintain the fantasy that I can manage my own affairs, I'm going to cry "Houzz ambush" in order to save face. :-) Carol
    ...See More
  • boxersandkoi
    16 years ago

I don't post often, but I've been hanging out here for a long time. I just finished a quilt top, that I am now ready to sandwich for quilting. I did a small quilt for the holidays that turned out well. Lots of ideas, just not enough time to work on them! (:

Connie

• User
    16 years ago

Dianne in the Hudson Valley, Orange County, New York.

Slowly working my way through some unfinished projects. I need to finish binding a neon I Spy quilt for my granddaughter and a teeshirt quilt for myself.

Need a picket fence border for my Happy Scrappy house quilt and some kind of border for an all purple squares quilt.

A butterfly handkerchief QAYG waits patiently, started but incomplete.

Other projects are in the queue also but I still dream of new projects.

Dianne

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Teresa in North Carolina - still here checking in everyday even if I don't post.

I finished a bluework and patchwork baby quilt top this weekend...will post a pic soon. Working on a landscape quilt for a friend. I have my Round Robin project, another baby quilt, and another embroidery small quilt waiting in the wings. As always, too many projects, too little time.

Next......

• nanciii
    16 years ago

Hi All,

I have been working on UFO's I sent -3- to Noocha for quilting, they came back glorious. I am still working on the binding for the last one. I have another almost ready to be quilted. That one is for hubby and the deer camp
    it was some very pretty lotto blocks I won last fall. I am workin on several swaps on other places. and still swaping and collecting kitty blocks. I took an applique class last weekend tht was fun. Right now I am trying to get way ahead on b'day blocks.

Nanci

• mamabear4
    16 years ago

Hello everyone, from Cincinnati, Ohio

I have not been active for some time. I got the idea I wanted a frame/machine combo and got myself busy making quilt tops. I had 8 by the time I was ready to order. So the answer to the question is obvious....sewing! I am now quilting #2, not counting the practice piece I did !

• wanda_va
    16 years ago

Greetings from the Shenandoah Valley of northwestern Virginia.

I check in every day, but don't post as often lately because there has been a lot going on here.

I have a lot of quilt tops made; now I just need to get motivated to do the quilting....

• grammyp
    16 years ago

I'm here but been very busy. We have had lots of family issues and I had my tonsils removed 2 weeks ago. Not fun at 53! I have been working on cleaning out closets, getting finances organized (tax time again), getting DD#2 into a new apartment, babysitting grands, and trying to eat without pain.

beverly

• Kathy_TX
    16 years ago

I admit to being MIA for quite a while now. I'm caring for my grandsons after school each day while their mom works, so there isn't as much time anymore for my quilting habit.

I am working on a fused applique rooster quilt for my brother's wife to give to her sister. I made one for myelf, and when SIL saw it, she just had to have me make one for her sister who collects rooster stuff. The pattern is from Eleanor Burns website, it's a free pattern.

Here is a picture of mine, I still have to do the quilting on the other one:

• fran1523
    16 years ago

I'm Fran from Massachusetts. Love those roosters Kathy. I am busy with birthday blocks and am just starting a Dresden plate quilt in blues and purples. There's a teddy bear baby quilt all pin basted and waiting for quilting. I will also need at least two more baby quilts in the next few months. As Teresa said, too many projects, too little time.

• toolgranny
    16 years ago

I'm here most every day, in the San Francisco Bay area of California. Love the chickens and Jayne's cross quilt.

I'm quilting my jar quilt and appliqueing a star quilt I saw in a book. I'm busy with birthday blocks and have so many UFOs here unquilted that I never run out of things to do. I've started several chicken things but so far not happy with them and will eventually find "the one" for my kitchen.

I'm also cleaning up and organizing my stash and storage a bit.

Linda

• nana24
    16 years ago

Hello,
    Sally from So. Louisiana where the sun is shining and the weather is nice-- today that is-they say it may rain tonight and that usually means it will be cold again. Today we are mid 60's-wonderful for walking which I'm trying to do.

I am working on a top for my sister with 30's reproduction fabrics. I started with 6 blocks that were from a kit I ordered and have added 14 others that are just random. Well, 3 are butterflies and a couple others I duplicated but it is like a sampler. She doesn't know about it so I am anxious to get it made.
    I've been working on my 2007 BOM, birthday blocks and new BOM.
    Boy do I need to clean up my sewing room but thankfully it has a door to shut. I did clean a little yesterday so maybe if I do a little each day when I go in, it will get better but I'm wanting to get started on a throw for another sister and I have the fabric. Probably, I won't clean. :)

Kathy, I like your roosters. Hope we will see some more pictures! It is so inspiring to see what everyone is working on.

Great Day to all,
    Sally AKA Nana

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

I love the cockiness of that rooster, Kathy, and all the work you put into the sashing and border. That's a really cute hanging.

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

I'm here - check the forum nearly every day - just busy trying to finish up UFO's, 'cause once Spring gets here, I'll be outside working in my gardens. (Will Winter never end? ---whine, whine, whine)

• cygram
    16 years ago

Hi all,Yvonne from Ore. where it finally feels like spring is just around the corner (my tulips are just starting to peek thru). I'm working on a Grandmothers flower basket. I found the pattern in Fons and Porter magazine from March/April 2006.I haven't been posting much but still come here everyday to lurk and look.Love the roosters Kathy.

• marty_mo
    16 years ago

I'm Marty from western Missouri. I stop by a couple times a day to read new post and occasionally post.

I have a music quilt on the poles that I need to quilt and other UFO's that are just hanging around.

Marty

• Nancy Morris
    16 years ago

This is Nancy from Overland Park Kansas. I have a Wedding Ring quilt in the works. (has been for years). Have several tops to be sandwiched. Have lots of ideas for new projects just not enough time. Those roosters are really sharp.

• gerizone5
    16 years ago

I'm Geri from New York State--Schenectady to be exact--but live in the suburb or Rotterdam. I just finished two quilted valences for my kitchen and am planning on starting the Debbie Mumm BOM which is a Christmas theme. I have the fabric all picked out and ready to go. I also have a Ying Yang purse cut out--it's been cut out for quite a while. I just reorganized my Sewing room. We bought two cheapy closets from K-Mart and put them together over the weekend and that really helped a lot. I just picked up a beautiful old Singer sewing machine at an antique show. It is electric and in a cherry wood cabinet. It's like brand new and I'm really excited about it and it sews beautifully. I couldn't resist even though I had absolutely no room for it but I managed to reorganize again and fit it in my very small sewing room. I hope to work on my 2007 B'day blocks one of these days. I'll try to post some pictures soon of the sewing machine and valences.

• hayden2239
    16 years ago

Michele from Sioux City IA
    shovelling too much snow and working too much...............be back here soon!
    I miss chatting with you all very much!

• barbara_in_pa
    16 years ago

Hello everyone....Barbara from Leesport, Pennsylvania

Been extra busy these last few months with working... and trying to keep up with my many half completed sewing projects. Presently working on a scrappy Bargello a Quiltville pattern with the idea of reducing my stash a bit...first time I actually did a pattern from a web page, and it has been a pleasant experience.

All the fabric I have and I still mangage to go to Lancaster, PA and buy about $130.00 more fabric....still I love it, even if I did not manage to reduce my stash by getting more fabric.

next??????

• mayme
    16 years ago

Mayme in West Michigan here, where the temps are
    very cold and the snow is about 2 feet deep! I
    quilted a heart wall hanging and two baby quilts
    today. I have a third baby quilt on the frame and
    half quilted. Have a few more charity baby quilts
    to quilt. Then I will start something new.

• calliope
    16 years ago

I'm Suzy from Appalacian Ohio. My first quilt was done forty years ago, a postage stamp baby quilt for my first born. The second quilt for him was an embroidered animal block quilt, I left unfinished and got done in time for the birth of my GRANDSON. lol.

I started quilting in earnest two years ago when I was 58 and am presently finishing up a partially made scrappy I found in my mother's stash when she passed away. I have nearly another whole quilt top done in the Eye of God pattern waiting to finish up when I get this one quilted.

I'm doing really well about UFOs. I don't start one until I am done with the one I am working on (made the exception for my Mama's quilt). That gives me an incentive to actually get something finished.

I recently converted a spare bedroom to a sewing room when I gave away my MIL's antique bedroom suite to my step daughter. Now I have plenty of room for a floor frame. My style is rustic/primitive/and I have an obscene fabric collection. It's an addiction, I mean weakness.

• mary_c_gw
    16 years ago

I'm Mary, in Bee Cave, Texas. I don't check in as much as I used too, simply because life is busy right now.

I have completed a baby quilt, and am working on a quilt for a friend who has helped us out numerous times. Photos soon - right now the DH is away, and he has the digital camera.

UFO's - I don't have many, LOL, because they make me uncomfortable. I like to start and finish a project.

There is one exception, which is a stack-and-select style block with 8 45-degree triangles. This project taxes my patience (and eyes), so I make 2 blocks at a time, and then put it away.

I'll be getting back to Quilts of Valor next month, I hope. I still have lots of patriotic fabric scraps which will work up nicely.

• deannabsd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good to see so much discussion.

Caliope, what is an eye of God quilt. I am picturing what we used to make with yarn and dowel rods called Gods eye. Would love to see a photo or a link.

Deanna

• judylee59
    16 years ago

Good Morning! I'm Judy in Western NY- enjoying my second day off from school due to the weather. (I teach Kindergarten-the best job in the world!) I have been busy working on my birthday blocks. and today I'm going to make a set of coasters for a hostess gift. I also have about a zillion UFO's. I'm planning on tackling them one at a time, with the goal of having them done by summer. I check in every day, but I don't often post. Have a great day! Judy (JudyLee)

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone ,i'm Kathi in Oceanside,Ca,where it isn't even close to sunny today,foggy,overcast and cold by our standards.I check in and read most days,but havn't been doing anything sewing related.Everyone's been sick,and i've been playing nurse.

Then we had a few nice days last week and my gardens called me out to play in them,so i couldn't let them down since they were kinda neglected all winter,so i've been out playing in the dirt~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~and it sure felt good!!

Kathy love those roosters.what pattern was that?

Geri would love to see your cabinets and the sewing machine.
    Happy sewing everyone.
    Kathi

• suellen_delawares
    16 years ago

Hi, Suellen here in Southern Utah. Like others I am shoveling snow. I've been working on my birthday blocks and my flower exchange blocks. I recently bought 2 treadle sewing machines and starting to clean one of them up. I still have the usual chores here on the ranch with the animals.
    Unlike most people I love Tax time. My husband and I are tax preparers. This is our busy time of year and the time of year we make the most income $$$$ so I can afford the sewing machines and fabric. LOL

• littlefire
    16 years ago

Hi there - Ethne here in Dumfries (bonny Scotland) just working away here - drawing at work, trying to loose lots and lots of weight, surfing the net for more ideas (that I don't need, and reading quilting blogs
    Working on my French pattern row quilt, my SBS blocks, my birthday blocks (for calico queens), doing part 1 of a seasons stitchery/patchwork wallhanging (which I'm trying to design myself), and helping a new quilter with a table runner
    I've just bought two new patterns - Crabapple Hill's pumpkin and Leannes House Spring Garden Quilt
    PLUS of course there are plenty of UFO's - my Round Robin quilt to quilt - my harvest quilt to baste, back and quilt, a christmas wall hanging to b,b and q, and a couple of others
    I hope to get some of the UFO's out of the road this year but am still truly daunted by the big quilt and machine quilting it - I'm hoping that if I machine quilt the table runner I might build up some confidence
    I'm sure there are many of you in similar situations - work hard each day - have homes to sort out and all you want to do is be able to escape with your stitching and fabrics
    Warmest Blessings to all of you on the forum
    Ethne (aka Littlefire)

• easystitches
    16 years ago

Jill from Portland, OR. here.
    Ethne, I think we like the same stitchery.
    I have had just one cold or virus after another for the past month, so I'm getting zip done. I can't wait to be healthy.
    Binding a baby quilt right now, should go in the mail soon.
    Little guys prob getting big!
    I have to get my space organized so that I work on UFO's, trying not to do many classes or mysteries......but I am taking nine patch pizzazz next month.
    I can usually check in here on a break at work or when it's quiet & always enjoy what everyone is doing.

• VickyJ
    16 years ago

I lurk a lot and don't talk much. I'm from South Sioux City, NE and been working on UFO's. I really need to get these done before I start others. I do have a few people that I will be making T-shirt quilts for graduations. Those will have to be done in the next few months.

• calliope
    16 years ago

deanna......here is a link similar to the one I am working on, third quilt down, only I have a larger black background. Great way to use a lot of strings. Mine is quite rustic like this one, maybe more rustic. It would set a perfectionist's teeth on edge, but the pattern and the vibrancy of the primaries against the black is fetching, to my eye. I'll get a pic of it when I get the top done.

Here is a link that might be useful: example of an Eye of God quilt

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

I pop in every once in a while I love to read and see what everyone is doing!!

• scootersgirl
    16 years ago

I've been busy with school lately, but I just found out this morning that I passed my capstone project! WOOHOO! Now all I have left is my final paper work to apply for my BS in Business Management. The point of this is now I have more time to work on my 15 odd UFOs and cruise the forum. I plan to finish all of the UFOs befor I start any of the 3 projects I have in the planning stage. I don't thiink they count as UFOs until you actually start cutting.
    Georgia
    in South Carolina where we've been playing outside in jeans and t-shirts for the last week.

• grandmaquilts
    16 years ago

Hi All,
    Jean from Saskatchewan, where do you live in Saskatchewan, I'm in Christopher Lake north of Prince Albert and how are you handling our very cold winter. It's -32 C. here today.
    I've got UFO's everywhere in my sewing room. Hoping today to layer and pin a quilt and maybe start machine quilting it. I'm not very good at machine quilting but if I try to hand quilt everything I'll need to live another 200 years!
    Stay warm, have fun and God Bless

• scrappyjack
    16 years ago

Hello from Forest Co. Pa. its +32F. here! I've been lurking lately, but I just got done piecing the top and back of a quilt for my 10yr old daughter, now I just need to get the batting! (and get it quilted!) She is so pleased!

Happy St. Valentines Day!

Jackie

• byrdseay
    16 years ago

byrdseay from Tidewater, Virginia.
    I'm enjoying our first grandson (long distance).Thank God for computers. I have about 8 quilt tops that I need to get quilted. I just finshed three quilting classes. I'm looking forward to going to the MidAtlantic Quilt Festival next weekend.

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Laura from San Diego here -- I've mostly been working at work -- traveling a lot this month so I check in from time to time but not a lot of time to post.

Georgia -- It is warmer where you are than it is here in San Diego!!!! It is 40 degrees right now. Brrrrr!

• lynn06
    16 years ago

Hello from central Minnesota where it is currently -6 F. I just got my sewing room organized finally this past week-end so that is a very good feeling. I put all the UFO's in one spot and was surprised by how many I have. I haven't had much time to do any quilting other than the two block of the months that I am participating in at a couple local quilt shops. Hopefully with a cleaner sewing area I will now get busy producing some quilts.
    Lynn in MN

• msmeow
    16 years ago

Donna in Winter Garden, FL here. I have a big tub full of UFOs and USOs (unstarted objects!) and decided I wasn't starting or buying anything new till those were done. Well, that lasted till I had 2 workshops with Carol Doak a couple of weeks ago (though I did finish the 2 tops!) and next week I'm going to 2 classes at the Original Sewing & Quilt Expo. Oh, well...I will keep working on the box, too. :)

Georgia - congratulations on finishing school! I finished my masters degree about 5 years ago and it was so nice to be able to read a book for pleasure!

Lynn, yesterday it only made it up to about 65 degrees here, but at lunch time I saw a guy in a convertible (top down, of course) with a MN license plate! LOL My first thought was "What a nut - it's too cold to have the top down!" then I noticed where he was from.

Donna

• bonnie_nmi
    16 years ago

I check in here at least once a day for a quick read, but I seldom have time to post. We've been on the run all winter. AFO's (ALMOST Finished Objects!) - an Eleanor Burns Egg Money sampler done in 1930's repro fabrics, an up-north quilt with lots of applique, and a very scrappy Jewel Box - all queen size. I hope to have the Egg Money sampler on my Grace Pro frame by the end of the weekend and finished by the end of next week. My goal is to get all three finished soon so that I can start putting my birthday blocks together. Never enough time!

Bonnie

• anjea
    16 years ago

Lurking, but here. :D
    Anjea

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

Calliope, I think your Eye of God quilt is the one I have been looking for. I saw a quick flash of one on a Geogia Bonesteel show and really liked it but didn't know what it was called. After looking at your post I think that may be the one. Do you have know where I might find the pattern? Jayne

• lizzy3_27
    16 years ago

Jayne, Quiltville has a tutorial for making a string quilt. I think to make it similar to the God's eye you would always start with a black strip on the diagonal. You could vary the width of the strips if you wanted like they did in the picture. Anyway, here is a link for the website if it is helpful.

Liz

Here is a link that might be useful: String quilt

• janice__indiana5
    16 years ago

Janice from Indiana checking in! I continue to hand quilt an appliqué quilt for my mother in law. This is my second quilt. I'm very excited about it even though it's taking
    f o r e v e r... It's a Bunny Hill pattern by Anne Sutton.
    "Rabbits Prefer Chocolate"
    Much to my husbands dismay(he thinks you should only work on one project at a time), I've started another quilt. I found the Pattern in Egg Money Quilts. It's a block called Rocky road to Kansas, and sometimes called Kite strings. It's a string quilt. I'm using Americana red, white and blue. I really like how it's turning out, plus it's so relaxing to work on. I find it's providing me with a good break from the hand quilting.
    I check in several times a day when time allows. You guys are so inspirering, but I must admit you're sometimes a little intimidating. You seem to work soooo quick! Keep up the good work, you are great role models for us newer quilters!
    Janice

• redpenny
    16 years ago

I'm here haven't done any quilting since I made my sons quilt! Lifes problems got in the way LOL! I have a few UFO's but I am in no rush to do them.Enjoy seeing everyones work.....
    Red

• cheryl_down_under
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm Cheryl from Metford, New South Wales, Australia. I visit the quilting forum every day, but very rarely post. I have only made 3 quilts and consider myself still very much a novice. I have built up quite a good stash and have all these ideas of what to do with it. At the moment, I am looking to make a quilt for a friend who loves cats. I have the fabric and am looking for a suitable pattern - one that's not too difficult. Thanks for everyone's posts - I really enjoy this forum.

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

Well, I'll chime in, I guess. I'm Jennifer in Va...as my name states.

I've resorted to lurking for a bit. There's a lot going on that keeps me busy. I'm 7 months pregnant now, and still busy schooling my 2 kids! I only get in my sewing room about once a week, rather than the once a day it used to be....just too tired to do more!

Mostly I've been piddling. Collecting batik charms for a class at our guild's quilt-in in March, collecting red-white-green fqs for the Mystery quilt. I did make up a purse out of yellow/blue charms for donation to the raffles.

My most active project is probably my English Paper Piecing one out of 30s prints that will be a baby quilt (Thanks Teresa!) I have the bulk of the blocks done and will start putting those together soon...

byrdseay~Maybe we'll run into each other next weekend at Mid-Atlantic! I'll be there Friday & Saturday, trying to get into classes both days. (Guess I'll have to get organized for that as well!)

Oh, and yesterday DH said I could get an embroidery machine for my 40th b-day tomorrow!! Now I just need to figure out if we can afford one!!..and which one! Oy vay

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

Liz, thank you for your thoughts and the link. I have been there before but it didn't dawn on me about the black strip in the center. I think the one I saw had a dark navy but the same idea. I will have to work on it. Jayne

• froggyquilter
    16 years ago

Angie from MN here

i dont get on here much at all but i do lurk more than anything. i am enjoying seeing my birthday blocks coming in this month (calico queens) and other than that, i am working on a flip flop applique quilt for my daughter to use at the lake this summer and trying to stay warm!! it's cold!!! Greetings to everyone!!

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions