SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tkln

Buy existing or build new?

tkln
15 years ago

Hello everyone...I'm not sure if this is the best forum to post this to, but I figure I can get some opinions here and others elsewhere...

We currently live in a suburb of NYC...we are planning on moving to VT sometime this year. We won't actually move until our current home is sold so we don't have to worry about doubling up on payments, etc.

My question is this: I have been keeping an eagle eye on all the existing homes in the area we are planning on moving to, and unless you spend a lot of money ($700K plus), the homes generally need a lot of work. We want a home that is very energy efficient, but asides from the normal efficient 'stuff', we'd like to incorporate geothermal heating, solar power, and other technologies. Even the higher priced homes do not have these things, so we'd have to pay for them at some point down the line.

There are plenty of homes in the $400-500k (and less) range which we could renovate, though I'm not entirely sure how far we could get with our goals...the upper end of our budget is around $750K, somewhat dependent on what we get for our home here in NY.

On the other hand, we might be able to build a new home with most of what we want for around our budget if we can find a nice lot within our budget (there are a few). My only concern is that we'd lose out on what could be great mortgage rates later this year if we were to do a construction loan...I'd imagine building would probably take at least 8 months, and I doubt we'd start before the fall.

Does anyone have any advice on what would be the better route? I think I'm leaning towards buying an existing home, but I'm also turned off by the prospect of fixing up a home built in the 1880s and bringing it up to current standards...but those mortgage rates are tempting! If anyone has had the same issue, I'd love to hear what you chose and why...

Thank you!

Lucy

Comments (10)