SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rrah_gw

Need to get a new refrigerator and getting ready to sell

rrah
10 years ago

I would love to hear the thoughts of others on this.

Our 13 year old fridge has a freon leak and thus is not worth repairing. The timing is terrible, but at least we have another fridge in the basement. We can also keep items out on the deck during the day so we're not constantly running downstairs.

We're preparing the house to put on the market this year so things need to look nice.

The current fridge has custom cabinet panels. Kitchenaid and Whirlpool no longer make this fridge with a panel kit available. The panel ready fridge Kitchenaid now sells in over $6000. That's not going to happen.

The custom cabinet maker is no longer in business so even if we were inclined to order new panels for a different brand of fridge, that's an additional expense and would require searching for a new cabinet maker that could match the style, stain, etc. I've checked out the GE panel refrigerator. The current panels won't work on a GE. Even without the cost of panels the fridge sells for about $3000.

That only leaves the option of getting a non-panel ready fridge. I know buyers like stainless steel, but I hate it. Our other built-in appliances are white. I'm tired of white and think my next house will have black. DH says we will take any new fridge with us.

One more piece of relevant info: the house is in the upper 3% of the local market so buyer expectations are high.

What color would you get: white because it matches, black because I like it (and we may take the fridge), or stainless for buyers?

This post was edited by rrah on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 10:26

Comments (11)