SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jpok_gw

Title/escrow fees too high?

jpok
17 years ago

Has anyone else thought that the fees being charged for various title/escrow services and insurance were very overinflated? There has been some attention to this topic in recent years because of the kickback scandal at some of the title companies, but I don't think that much has changed in terms of protecting the consumer. In the last year, I have paid title insurance premiums and related escrow fees on both the seller's and buyer's side (different counties had different standard procedures), and I personally feel that the title/escrow companies are ripping homeowners off.

Firstly, there's the matter of title insurance. I read that title insurers only pay on a ridiculously small number of claims comprising only a tiny fraction of the premiums the collect on the policies. Yes, of course if you do end up having a title issue, you REALLY need the insurance, but why is the government allowing them to keep so much profit for a product that homeowners have no real choice but to buy (lender policies at least)? Ironically, when I was calling around to shop title companies in both CO and CA, all of the title companies pointed out that their premiums were regulated and, thus, didn't have much variation. Well - that turned out to be bogus, because they find ways around that. For instance, one company can offer rate structures based on whether the home will be owner-occupied, while another bases rates on when the last title policy was purchased on the home. And even more specifically, some can offer discounts based on whether the title policy was last issued within 5 years, while others use 2 or 3 years.

Secondly, shouldn't many of the miscellaneous fees being charged be included in the escrow fee? I can understand if the extra fees were based on costly variables, but it just seems like they try to charge you for anything and everything they can think of. Here's a breakdown of what I paid (CA):

-$660 Escrow Fee

-$25 Wire Fee

-$25 Courier Fee

-$40 Notary Fee

-$90 Recording Fee

-$25 Endorsement

That's after the closer knocked off $50 in "edoc fees" when I asked her why the fees added up to more than I had previously been quoted. Can anyone explain why I got a wire transfer fee of $25 for wiring money INTO their escrow account (on top of the $20 I paid to my bank to have the wire done)? Banks don't charge for accepting money, as far as I know. As for the recording fee, I couldn't really reconcile it to the fee schedule I printed myself from the recorder's website. Then there's the notary fee - and the notary is the escrow officer who is handling the closing. How come that notary fee isn't included in the escrow fee of $660, since the closer is the one who is notarizing?

I just feel that the title/escrow companies are trying to see how much they can get away with. It was funny how fast the closer took off the edoc fees when I started asking questions. Shamefully, I kind of chickened out after that and didn't ask about the wire/recording/notary fee. I wonder what she would have said if I had asked. Well, at least I got it down to the amount I had budgeted for.

Anyone have any more knowledge or opinions on the subject?

Comments (10)