SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbx5

Porcelain tile on our porch - pics!

mbx5
17 years ago

We installed Porcelain tile on our outside covered porch. It is over the garage and basement area - so it had to be sealed.

Previously the owners of this house had an indoor / outdoor carpet down, with an asphalt / rubber membrane under it - it didnt work - it was rotted and loaded with carpenter ants - real fun..

So we stripped it, re-sheeted with 3/4 ply, used 1/2" durock sheet taped w/ fiberglass tape, used a thinset specified for outdoors, and used a porcelain tile. The grout was also spec'd to be indoor / outdoor.... We sealed with bathroom style sealer for heavy water...

Bummer is - there is a low spot where water sits due to the fall of the porch..... in this spot, a tile popped loose.. I broke the tile out and it was soaked underneath, and water ran under the tile next to it because of the direction of the grooves in the thinset...

So, the tile next to it is wet underneath, and if I step on it I can squeeze water out....

Question:

1.) Should I also replace that tile?

2.) Should I be concerned with this whole thing?? It was a ton of money and a ton of work!!

3.) How warm does it have to be to re-apply new thinset and another tile?

Pics below... Nice ants?

Help!!

Thanks!!

Before - old carpet

Sub floor / ply sheet

Durock Sheetrock

Tiles in progress

More tiles

Before - major rot and ant damage

Ants

Comments (5)