SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natal_gw

Anyone w/experience using Ipe on screened porch floor?

natal
17 years ago

The Ipe was delivered a couple weeks ago and will be installed within the next month. The porch is on brick piers about 18" off the ground. This will be a virgin install for our GC and I'd love to have feedback from someone who's done it before.

Comments (17)

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Regular decking boards or T&G material ? with either provide cross ventalation, install with construstion adhesive and stainless steel screws.

I have several porch projects out doing fine with ipe decking. John

• natal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

John, it's T&G and they plan on using the stainless screws. GC spoke with George at EastTeak and I think he advised against using adhesive.

How did you place the boards in relation to the porch frame? GC is talking about extending them a bit for better drainage and to prevent water from seeping underneath. In other words, do you place the boards flush with the outer edge of porch framing or extend them a little and if you extend them how much?

• Related Discussions

Advise on Screen-in Porch flooring

Q

Comments (2)
    We are also planning a screened-in porch on our new house and were initially considering using stone or tile on the floor. John, from your reply, and after some discussions with others, it sounds like we would need to pour a slab first? Are there any other options for stone/tile. If we have to pour a slab I think we will just go w IPE or some other durable wood as the porch will be elevated, above a walkout basement.
    ...See More

IPE Porch flooring 101 needed!

Q

Comments (10)
    John, Thank you for your response. You do point out that there are several trade procedures to follow to ensure a successful installation and I was hoping to obtain some of those to apply on my own project. Although I am definitely not a pro, I do have years of home improvement work under my belt (see my rambling post of April 26 that no one understandably cared to respond to it) however I have zero experience from using Ipe. Direct Questions on T&G Ipe - If boards not tight then how much space to allow for while installing? How much T does that leave to lock in with the G? - Butt joints tight or spaced? - Type/size of screws & pre-drill bit? - Screw through T or G? (I have seen both recommended here) - What pitch? - With Ken and Woodzotic apparently a question mark - Recommended (annual?) treatment to prevent (delay) weathering? Thanks, Max + + + + + + + aidan m, You are absolutely correct  normal step height would be 5-8" and I am concerned with a smaller riser becoming a trip hazard or "toe stubber", however for reasons explained in my lengthy April 26 post, I have limited options. Under the circumstances, do you think it would be better if I went for max available (3-4") or the very minimum (say 1") in combination with grates over a trench drainage system outside side D of the porch? Thanks, Max
    ...See More

Ipe Screened Porch

Q

Comments (1)
    You can't compare the finishes on Ipe between a covered porch and an exposed deck...apples and oranges. Her deck is exposed to UV/rain/maybe snow...yours isn't. If she wasn't happy with Penofin, she just isn't going to be happy. steve
    ...See More

3-season vs. Screened Porch for new build in Northern US climate

Q

Comments (6)
    Northeast Wisconsin here. (We're sposed to get sub-zero nighttime temps this w/e.) I have a three-season w a Hearthstone propane 'fireplace.' No other winterization and wraparound windows. But, I love it! That said, it's pretty much out of use from December thru March. But it's the highlight of my home spring through late fall. When I win the lottery - (note to self: start buying tickets) - I would retrofit for heated floors (it sits above a bare-bones basement) and think about custom interior storms. But otherwise, all positive!
    ...See More
  • natal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's a shot of one end of the porch.

• gvgemtp
    17 years ago

Natal

George here. Must have mis understood. He needs to use the construc. adhesive. Imperative for a good finished project with no worries later.

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

John agrees with the George.

The construstion adhesive adds a little hold down power,its main job is to protect the ipe from the large water that is going to release from the green pt lumber in the first few important moons.

Bringing us to the cross ventalation that travles this water out from under your project. Natal person you have the perfect project to install the needed vents,one on each end and one in the frount should do it.

Over hanging the decking I dont do. I cut the decking flush with the frame and install edge trim,that is rips of the decking material 1 1/2 '' wide with a router ogee detail, I glue and screw this trim all around. Bang Bang the ends of the T&G decking that most folks dont want to see are covered and the skirting butts up to it.

Side Note>> If that was my project I would install regular foundation vents in the live space addition as well most of the time these will open for the summer and close for the winterTalking Winter,,,ghesssssssss is it snow/ice blowning from the north at a bizillon mph over here or what??? This should be good I have all the ipe cut and laying out on the frame as we speek.Man,two days ago when we laid the stuff out it was like 70 degrees over here. Makes a person think they be living in Oklahoma, I love making the rent with Construstion. J

• natal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

George, I'll address the adhesive subject in our Friday meeting.

John, I don't understand your "side note" comments. What foundation vents? It's as open as it can be. I live in south Louisiana.

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

Silly Me,I was thinking you would be skirting that area below your addition. J

• natal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The construstion adhesive adds a little hold down power,its main job is to protect the ipe from the large water that is going to release from the green pt lumber in the first few important moons.

The PT has been in place for a couple months now. Sheets of plywood have been laid on top to give the crew a surface to move on while they install the tongue & groove ceiling and shingle the one exterior wall. The Ipe is stacked on top of the sheets. Do you think the moisture from the PT would still be an issue?

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

Yes.

• natal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

John, I see you've already answered, but while I was waiting I did a search and see basically the same reply every time the question is asked. You mention "first few weeks" and "first few moons", but how long are you actually talking about?

And Steve (Brooklyndecks), if you're out there, why do you not use an adhesive?

I'm really confused, because we have three professionals offering contradictory information.

Posted by John_Hyatt (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 30, 04 at 17:21
    Bill, with the clips the info you get tells you to use counstruction adhesive,thats because its heavy bodied and makes up for the space the clips leave inbetween the joists and for uneven pt framing,its not going to help as far as fastining the decking to the frame or with any movement in the frame or with movement in the decking. John

Â Posted by John_Hyatt (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 4, 04 at 19:05
    Hey guys,,,ventalation is a must for any decking material, and vastley over looked,,we use screen vents for cross ventlation,,on the clips,,they dont really fasten the decking to the joice,,thats why the co calls for counstruction adhesive underneath,,to make up for uneven or warped joice,,not for holding power,,using them is a gamble,sometimes they work,,but when they dont as in the wood shrinking or warping causing the clips to pop out of the slot,,you just spent all that time and money for nothing and you end up going back and face fasting and even when they do work the clip and the screw still show and the gap needed is a little much,,which brings us to the bottom line best way to fasten any decking,,face fasten,,if you dont want the screws to show pre drill twice and install plugs,,a lot of sanding true,,but it always works,, I have several 1x6 T & G Ipe decks out,,no screws showing this way at all,,two of them worked there way out of the grove,,5 of them dident,,George ( east teak ) an I still havent found out why some work and some dont,,one of his was 14' off the ground and went crazy,,I have several porches with 1x4 t&g ipe out with the normal 2'' off the slab, hardley any ventlation at all,,doing fine after 3 years or so,,so now you know almost everything I do,,using the clips with 3/4 material is twice the gamble as using 1'' or 11/2'' material, this is what I have seen over the 10 years or so I have been puting down Ipe,,,John Hyatt deckmastersllc.com

Â Posted by john_hyatt (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 17, 06 at 18:11
    Moisture Barrier 101, Class trun off all devices you brought with you the ipods,lap tops,cell phones and all the stupid time wasting things you have in those purple back packs I am only going to say this one time and one time only. Pick it up now or fail the Course
    Ipe is moisture cranky in the first few important weeks because>>> the preasure treated lumber has a lot of water in it from the treatment plant,add to this its mostly yellow pine that is movement prone in the sun anyway and really open grain thats why they use it to pump all that copper and water into it.
    If a person seals the ipe on all four sides,or pre treats at all...A during construstion its going to get really beat up..B the wood will be hampered in its breathing,remember when you started this class?? thats right wood has to breath...Martha Zolinkisi!!! get that plug out of your ear!!!! you think I cant see that??? another bump and run like that and your headed back to the shop clean up!!
    Lets start up with those two givens,,using construston adhesive on the joists helps leval out uneaven framing that is the norm with pt lumber,it adds a little hold down power,and protects the ipe from the fast escaping water in the first few important weeks or moons while at the same time lets the ipe take a breath when it has to. This combined with cross vintalation in the skirting gives this high dollor and most execlent material the respect it has coming.Doing all we can to keep it from cupping and buckling.
    All you young people are the Furture of Construstion, I am proud of every one of you,That includes you Martha, The big test is next week,ride hard, ride safe,stay away from the high side,and Get Er Done!!! John

Â Posted by John_Hyatt (My Page) on
    Wed, May 18, 05 at 7:44
    With 20' long material I need two guys to help,use a short piece of the material to tap the decking together, we also cut a little 1/2'' slot in the toungue every 3' or so it wont show if your carefull. If your project is low to the ground its a good idea to use counstruction adhesive on the joists, not for glueing power but to protect the ipe from the water in the green preasure treated in the first few important weeks, one contractor I know in Little Rock used black duct tape. Screw every joist.With T&G material 1x4 and 1x6 are the same just depends on the look you want and the 1x4 will use more screws and take longer. John

Â Posted by brooklyndecks (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 17, 06 at 15:18
    Birgit,
    No, I don't use adhesive as a moisture barrier. JH does that.
    I used to paint the joist tops black, so you don't see them in the gaps. why do you/I need a moisture barrier?
    I have sealed the bottom of my Ipe boards, but I usually don't. If I was building my own deck, I would seal the bottom and sides...but I do this for a living, and there aren't enough hours or dollars to do that. It's not that important, or I would do it. There is a downside to pre-
    sealing...having to handle oily boards. that's really the reason that I don't do it.
    steve

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

That was so funny, I got a few grins writing that class thing.

Whos the third one? I dont see any contradictory info,Steve dosent use it and I do.

Natster if you have a problem using the adhesive dont use it! for me its a pretty cheep insurance against having my material buckel up or warp. I have no idea how long the .40 lbs of treatment in every 1' of a 2x6 is going to take to reach its normal leval on your job. I do know the ipe is pretty darn dry and the pt lumber is not, as soon as the ipe is installed the water is going to migrate into it and find a way out one way or the other. That little bead of adhesive is going to slow down or stop the water all together from messing with the ipe provided cross ventalation is going on. It will also help make up for any uneven framing and thus help in a small way stop movement. J

• natal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't how many different Ipe sites I've visited and none of them mention using glue. They cover Handling & Storing, Cutting & Drilling, End Sealing, Fastening, and Finishing, but not a thing on the glue.

It's not that I doubt your experience, just wish more people had it to share.

• brooklyndecks
    17 years ago

natal,

You already know that I don't put adhesive between joist and decking. It's not a bad idea...and probably a good thing. Is it a necessary procedure? I don't think so, or I would do it. It's a messy procedure, and time consuming...so I don't do it.
    I don't worry about moisture from the ACQ. There's always gonna be moisture, unless you live in the desert. I screw down my decking, so it won't move much.

You can ask 10 deck builders how to build a deck, and get 10 different answers. It's up to you to sift thru the data and make the final decision.

steve

• natal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Over hanging the decking I dont do. I cut the decking flush with the frame and install edge trim,that is rips of the decking material 1 1/2 '' wide with a router ogee detail, I glue and screw this trim all around. Bang Bang the ends of the T&G decking that most folks dont want to see are covered and the skirting butts up to it.

John, I'm going to let you talk with my husband, because I'm not comprehending all of this. Here he is:

John, I know this may sound stupid, but I want to make sure I am understanding you correctly.

We are using 5/4" x 6" tongue & groove Ipe. The rip would be 1 1/2" x 5/4". The ogee trim is along the 5/4" edge. Is it then screwed & glued into both the Ipe decking and the pressure treated frame or just the frame?

• natal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Steve, John, and George, my husband and I both appreciate the information y'all have shared. We've decided to request that adhesive be used with the Ipe.

Thank you!

• kenstl
    17 years ago

Natal,

I would love to see some photos of your screened in porche when you are done. Are you using IPE for the walls of the screened in porch? I have a similar project and would just like to see how you are going to finish it off. I can give you my email if you would like.

Thanks,

Ken

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

I call it end grain trim but it could be called edge trim, it goes all around the deck fastened to the decking not the frame. I used it on most all the projects on my site.

Anyway this is so easy to me mabey I dident make it clear. The decking > 5/4 x 6'' T&GI just finished a deck with three sides protected by a 7' garden wall finished off with 1x6 t&g ipe, my my does that thing look good or What!!!! J