SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scott_baker55

3-season vs. Screened Porch for new build in Northern US climate

Scott
3 years ago

Hi all. I've read previous posts on this topic, and know that ultimately it's a very personal decision. I'm curious if any homeowners in northern climates (we live in northern New England) could share their experiences with a 3-season (with EZE breeze 4-track, R-30 insulation in ceiling, 30" kneewalls, and floors) vs. a screen porch (with PVC deck).

We have 3 kids under 12 and a dog, and the porch will face north/northwest towards the woods behind our new house. We are "hearty" people, and outdoors nearly every day regardless of the weather, and raising our kids to be that way. We don't want a 4-season because we don't need the living space and want the porch to be a connection to, and transition from, the outside. A place where we can eat outside as long as possible without bugs, and to put muddy boots and wipe off the dog before entering into our living room (where the porch is connected). Our builder is quoting us a difference of only $8K to upgrade from the screen porch to the 3-season with the features mentioned above. Also getting a quote on cost to put in a small gas fireplace.

I'm inclined to "go for it" with the upgrades to get 1-2 months more out of the porch, but would love to hear thoughts/experiences from folks living in the north country. Thanks!

Comments (6)