SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rice_rocket

Cen Cali Pool Plans - Feedback & Input

rice_rocket
13 years ago

Firstly, I just have to thank everyone that participate here. It is incredible to be able to research options and opinions. I never forgot these same forums that helped me with the kitchen almost seven years ago! Fast forward to today, and my fiance is a fish! ;) So we're planning to build a pool. We're down to two PB's (out of 6), and am planning to sign a contract before July 4. We're in the hot (103 today!) and semi-arid dessert of Central (interior) California.

We had two submissions drawn with Pool Studio based on my initial hand drawing/conceptualization. The others were using Visio-like programs (I think) or hand-drawn. After watching a PB play with Pool Studio, I decided I needed to "purchase" the program for myself so that we could "construct" precisely what we had in mind. So I downloaded Pool Studio last Sunday and paid for a month's subscription. "Built" the pool from my hand drawings, and took some "photos":

More "photos" or renderings can be seen here: Rocket's Pool Photos.

Here are the some specs for the pool:

Semi-geometric: 40' length x 19' to 22' width, 108' Perimeter

Depth: 4' to 8', 758 SqFt.

Interior: WetEdge Primera Stone; Blue Pacific Coast

Standard 6" x 6" tile (not decided yet)

2 Skimmers, 4 Return Lines, Autofill

2 Pentair IntelliBrite

2 Benches (1 swimout, 2 umbrella sleeves)

2 Bubblers, 1 umbrella sleeve on sun-shelf

Compass mosaic and diamonds on steps (Glass or Granite TBD)

Pentair VS-3050

Pentair CCP-320 Cartridge Filter

Pentair IntelliTouch i5 w/remote control

Pentair Legend pool cleaner

1060 SqFt Concrete Deck and Square/Near Flush Coping, colored stamped epoxy overlay and ribbon per design

300 SqFt Brushed Block Concrete on west side-yard, 142 SqFt on Brushed Concrete east side-yard

21' wide x 30" tall staggered stack waterfall over Three Rivers ledger stone (waterfall planter/wall is 38 linear feet)

42 linear feet x 18' tall sitting wall Three Rivers ledger stack with flagstone cap

2 Nexxuss SaviNOTE to uplight the waterfall from the bench

3 downlights to light the sitting wall

6' Diving Board (or InterFab T7?)

One of our concerns was the size of the deck and how hot it would get. Evidently the Vinyl overlays (like Sundek) is supposed to help reduce the deck temperatures by up to 10 degrees compared with concrete. Originally I spec'ed a salted concrete deck with brushed coping and ribbons. But was told that it would require two pours--hence additional costs which may as well go towards a cooler deck finish. Are there any other ways to keep the deck cooler (other than shade)? The planters are not going to be big enough for large trees.

Also, do you think we should oversize the pool filter to ease maintenance? I initially thought I wanted a D.E. filter, by don't really want to deal with the mess when cleaning those filters.

Didn't spec a salt system because of the natural rock waterfall. Also, in consulting with two friends that have salt pools, one of them took out the system after five years. And the other had to keep replacing the plates almost every year, plus the controller a year ago. Both recommended against salt. One PB suggested Ozone as a supplementary system, but we're not sold on that.

The sun deck is going to be the first step (12" down, 8"-9" of water). I'm not enamored with the small first step to reach an 18" sun shelf. Plus I think the bubblers will work better in the slightly shallower water. What are your experiences with the sun shelf heights?

Comments (21)