SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mgrisme_gw

Sinking Joints between laid concrete squares on patio

mgrisme
16 years ago

I am working on this project and the client has this raised patio where the wood joints between the concrete keep sinking. Some of the wood in the joints have sunk about 1 1/2". is there a solution to this problem? Maybe with different material?

I was reading through another post 'Filling Concrete Expansion Joints'. it read:

"On to your question of what can be done with your expansion joints on your patio. You can fill expansion joints with a joint filler that can expand and contract with the concrete. You will need to put some sort of material in the bottom of the joint, typically called backer rod, which is a premolded plastic piece that you shove in the bottom of the joint (or I have seem fiber board or wood used as well). This just gives the joint sealant somewhere to rest while it sets up. Then the joint sealant is poured into the joint. Keep in mind that you will not have a perfectly level joint at all times. At times the material will be stretched and you will have a depression and at times the material will be compressed and you may have a little bump. Usually, depending on when it is applied you try eliminate the likelihood of the bump. I'm not sure of the exact brands of joint sealant, but I would think that a self-leveling silicone joint sealant would be available at your local home improvement store."

Questions:

1. Is this practical for a large site? which mine is.

a. if not what other techniques are there?
  2. will that address the problem of the sinking joints?

If needed I also have pictures, I just could not load them on the post.

Comments (5)