SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin_dc

What is your personal decor style? (link to short quiz)

robin_DC
15 years ago

I stumbled across this style test and thought some of you might enjoy it. Basically, you look at a variety of images of rooms and rate them, and at the end the site describes your 'style(s)' based on the answers. If you try it, please share your results, whether you think those results accurately capture your style, and whether you've incorporated any of those styles in your home. I'll take the test again this weekend and post the results. I hope some of you will try it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sproost style quiz

Comments (51)

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

That was fun! My results:

Your personal style is a mix of 3 specific styles:
    36% Southwestern Style
    36% Wine Country Style
    28% Arts and Crafts

I'd say I definitely lean more towards Southwestern than Wine Country though.

• peachiepie
    15 years ago

Very nice Robin.

My results are:

Classic-50%
    French-33%
    Nantucket-17%

The classic describes me somewhat as I really am a traditionalist deep down. Not sure about the Nantucket description. Will really have to delve into this style.

This was fun.

• Related Discussions

How do you use Harlequin in your decorating style?

Q

Comments (18)
    Fairytalebaby: It's the Maytag Gemini. Yes it is a double oven and we like it a lot. I only wish that I would have purchased the gas model and had a gas line run. :( I think I prefer gas cooking and the top may be easier to keep clean. The top ove heats up super quickly and is great when you are in a hurry. :) We are working on replacing the other appliance to match it. We just recently purchased the Maytag Ice2O and love it.
    ...See More

SHORT real estate quiz:

Q

Comments (19)
    DH and I had this conversation last year. Our neighborhood is one of small tract houses built about 60 yrs ago, in a desirable location, and many of the houses have been either enlarged or torn down and replaced. One house was recently replaced with a house about 4x its size, with a correspondingly jaw-dropping price for the neighborhood. It went on the market for over a million at the same time that a house down the street was for sale in the high 300's (that one was nicely decorated in the current style and had no major problems, but it had not been extensively renovated or enlarged). DH and I joked that the big house was actually the better bargain, because its price per square foot was lower than the little house. (This was to make ourselves feel better about the changing streetscape.) Anyway, the big new house sold pretty quickly, but the little one sat for over a year.
    ...See More

What would your home look like if your spouse had to decorate?

Q

Comments (52)
    Tannantok, you're describing my DH's place when I met him! He also had a beer can collection growing on his back patio. He owned virtually no dishes (eating out of the pan was the norm). When you walked in the door you were greeted by a picture of a big haired blonde wearing suspenders and not much more. Laminated to a piece of charred wood. Given to him by his mother. Current decorating would be blankets tacked up to the windows, but he'd also have 1000 watt lights all over the place. I tell him the sun would not provide enough light for him. Clothing would adorn all the lamp shades (if he used lamp shades at all...probably adorn the curtain rods. Bathtowels would be the floor mats. Steak knives would pin up things to the walls, and EVERY wall would have something pinned to it. He'd have a ginormous sofa with blankies and his dogs. No pillows, except for what was on the floor. And every cupboard would be doorless and the drawers self closing.
    ...See More

A decorating quiz--what's your style?

Q

Comments (27)
    I tested out at "Nantucket" but that really isn't quite right either - I like a "warmer" room than what was represented by Nantucket. I think I like very traditional but in very simple lines. A few really nice antiques which were handed down, a touch of asian influence, but mostly simple, classic stuff.
    ...See More
  • persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

It said I'm 100% classic. So I took it again just to be sure. LOL

It showed some different pictures this time. The results for the second go round? 36% traditional country, 36% nantucket, and 28% cottage.

I wanted to see some more pretty pictures, so I took it a third time. This time I'm 67% classic and 33% French eclectic.

Apparently, I'm the mutt of the decorating world. :o)

• mrsmarv
    15 years ago

Mine is:

50% Traditional Country
    25% Classic
    25% Cottage Chic

That's pretty darn accurate. I took it twice and the results were the same, even with different rooms shown each time I took the quiz.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I was 40% classic, 30% French eclectic and 30% traditional country.

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

Thanks, Robin, that was fun!

I'm 60% Classic, 40% Traditional Country. Sounds about right to me!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

That was really fun! I took it three times because I was so confused by the results, but I saw mostly different images each run and with a slight change in percentages it said I'm Hollywood Couture, French Eclectic and Zen. Hmm.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    15 years ago

That WAS fun. I took it once, but will take it again later.
    I'm 50% Traditional Country
    25% Wine Country
    25% Classic

What really got me was their summation. They seem to know I buy all my stuff from eBay and CL!

"You love spaces that feel casual and lived in. Furniture is practical and comfortable, and yet at the same time its very stylish. The best part of country style is how much it highlights collection and found objects. Antiques here, garage sale finds there and Aunt Milly's hand-me-downs throughout. Unique items that used to serve very practical purposes are now on display, and their history seems to permeate the home. Each space in the home seems to invite friends and family to come in and stay a while. There is a true sense of home."

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I took it a couple times, and the thing that I am not is Cottage (20%)

I came up Craftsman and Vintage Modern, mostly, but I really think I am traditional--just not according to the quiz.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Very fun! I wish I had scored higher on something though.

38% Rustic Revival - which is very me though
    38% Wine Country style- I do like wine!
    24% Traditional Country

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

rmkitchen: that describe your style to a T.

Mine is mix up Rustic Revival and Modern elegance.
    Doesn't that sound like a nice way of saying "Schizophrenic Style disorder"?

No wonder I'm so confused! :-)

• donnawb
    15 years ago

Mine came out 60% Modern Elegance and 40% Contemporary. It is pretty accurate. I like contemporary but not cold so mix a few other things in.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I did see different images the second time I took it.
    And came up 75% wine country style, which is really how my house is decorated.

It's hard when you see a room that is beautiful- to me some of the modern rooms- but I could never actually decorate like that. I would wonder, where will I put my baskets? Oh wait, I won't unless it's a stainless cube basket.

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

Telling...... and fun.

First time I came up 100% Classic - not even a smidge of anything else!!!

Second time was 67% Classic 33% Traditional Country

I thought I was more interesting than that!!

• kellyeng
    15 years ago

33% Wine Country
    33% Rustic Revival
    34% Nantucket

I'm not sure about the Nantucket. I think I'll take it again.

Very fun test!

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

67% Cottage Chic
    33% Nantucket

BINGO! That's me and my style for my new cottage. cool.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

dlm don't feel bad I am 100% Nantucket! and no chance of ever having a beach house! eh I guess its close enough to cottage style to suit me! thanks Robin it was fun and the pics delish!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

33% Contemporary
    33% Vintage Modern
    34% Modern Elegance

Pretty clear...and accurate. I like modernist stuffs, with a touch of the odd collection/outsider art thrown in :)

dd50, I see we're design cousins.

• lisalm
    15 years ago

I took it twice and came up 100% Modern Elegance both times. The description really fit: transitional; likes some traditional rooms but with less clutter. Likes to mix a modern sofa with tradional chairs, etc. That's me! Or at least would be me if I were buying from scratch. : )

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Round 1: 100% Vintage Modern

Round 2: 67% Modern Elegance
    33% Cottage Chic

Round 3: 44% Rustic Revival (modern spin on country)
    44% Vintage Modern
    12% Cottage Chic

I guess that's all pretty consistent in a weird kind of way. I am so glad it didn't say Traditional. I am always trying to push toward a more contemporary look and feel like I have a Traditional ball & chain around my ankle.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Hmmm. Probably very true about me, although I'm not sure what "French Eclectic" is.

86% Arts & Crafts
    14% French Eclectic

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Round 2 evidently eliminated Contemporary--must have been the pics they showed, some of which were different. I'm then 50% Vintage Modern and 50% Modern Elegance.

So I'd say Vintage Modern Elegance. (In terms of realizing my own taste: the 'elegant' part is awaiting better economic times -- the Vintage part I've got down pretty well at this point LOL)

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

I'll have to take it again - came up with 50% Classic and 50% Asian??? I thought I'd have some A&C or Tradtional in there, I like the clean lines of Asian but like A&C more. Maybe it didn't show all the pics?

I have what I think is French Country (sheaf back chairs) DR furniture, more modern leather rolled-arm sofa, kind of A&C dark end tables with tapered legs. "Shaker" natural cherry slatted sleigh bed. A&C influenced panel bed and armoire (antique, European?) in DD's room. Those are the furniture I've picked out, rather than the rest of the house which is more hand-me-downs and discount store stuff.

• robin_DC
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've tried it twice. First time--50% nantucket, 25% modern elegance, 25% cottage chic. The second time it was 50% nantucket, 38% french eclectic, and 12% traditional asian. Modern elegance and cottage chic are the only ones that have any connection to what I have in my house, and nantucket and french electic probably describe most of the rooms that I've bookmarked or saved from magazines & books. So I think it's pretty accurate; the something's gotta give set is my dream house, and that seems to fit the nantucket style.

• johnmari
    15 years ago

Most of the pictures they showed me were either ultra-modern or retro, and I admit I like pretty much doodly in that whole genre. :-) There actually weren't very many choices where I could click "like/love it".

Round 1:
    67% Mountain Lodge (huh?)
    22% Arts & Crafts
    11% Wine Country (whatever the heck that is)

So on to round 2, since I knew they'd show some different pictures, although again, there weren't a lot of pictures where I could click like or love:

33% Mountain Lodge
    33% Arts & Crafts
    34% Traditional Country

Round 3 was 80% Arts & Crafts and 20% Southwestern (WHAT? how about "not"!).

I guess round 2 was the least INaccurate. Their notion of Arts & Crafts was basically restricted to Mission, which isn't my preference within Arts & Crafts style at all (let's say I'd MUCH rather have William Morris than Gus Stickley). The definition of Traditional Country was pretty much okay, and closest to where I am now out of the choices given. Apparently I got lumped into Mountain Lodge because I like wood, leather and rock, but they are SO wrong on the "bigger is better" part!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

Test 1: 55 Wine Country, 27 Classic, 18 Traditional
    Test 2: 86 Wine Country, 14 Traditional
    Test 3: 57 Traditional Asian, 29 Wine Country, 14 Modern
    Elegance

That's a bit of a confusing result, especially since I didn't know wine country was a bona fide style and I don't drink wine. I really thought I was more traditional but I suppose I've been moving away from that style without really being aware of it. I do love Chinese porcelain, and am trying to add some contemporary accents (my husband's paintings mostly), so I suppose overall it isn't horribly inaccurate. Thanks, it was fun!

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Interesting quiz, especially for those of us who don't know our decor style! Site was fairly buggy -- it tended to hang up in the middle of a quiz -- but I ended up as:
    Quiz #1 -- we don't know your style
    Quiz #2 -- 100% French eclectic (I don't know what that means -- shabby chic?)
    quiz #3 -- 67% Nantucket, 33% Rustic Revival
    quiz #4 -- 100% Nantucket.

All this sort of makes sense, because I like the feel of a beachy cottage but I don't like excessively cutesy nautical elements. I also noticed certain elements where I have a strong reaction. Sofas: must be comfy with roll arms and skirt; I hated every sofa that looked stiff or modern. I really, really hate mid century modern, ordinary modern, and what I think is called Hollywood Regency. Also, this may come as a big surprise to anyone who's heard me rave about my blue granite in the kitchen forum, but I also had a much more positive reaction to rooms with a lot of...(drum roll for dramatic effect, please) blue.

Blue

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Round 1:
    50% Traditional Country
    33% Wine Country Style
    17% Hollywood Couture

Didn't see a single room that I would call "Classic". They all had modern pieces thrown in that just made the room look off to me. The Hollywood Couture came because of one pic with a pair of gorgeous chairs (blue velvet and gorgeous woodwork).

Round 2:
    100% Traditional Country

Still didn't see anything I'd ID as "classic". About 50% repeat pics.

Round 3:
    43% French Eclectic
    29% Classic
    28% Traditional Country

Did you notice there's a "Like or hate something in this photo" link? I used that this time to rule out the modern elements and rate the classic ones and this is what I wound up with. I think this is definitely more "me".

• User
    15 years ago

Great quiz, robin dc, thanks for sharing.

My score:

33% Vintage Modern
    33% Cottage Chic
    34% Rustic Revival

It's pretty accurate for what I like, but I'm afraid my home is not as bold as my profile...will have to work on incorporating more of that vintage modern, as I already have plenty of cottage and rustic stuff.

Thanks again-

sandyponder

• graywings123
    15 years ago

100% Modern Elegance

This was fun! We should all have the results as a sig line.

• lydia1959
    15 years ago

Your personal style is a mix of 3 specific styles:
    60% Cottage Chic
    20% Classic
    20% Traditional Country

Right on for me.

Fun quiz! Thanks.

• mistybear11
    15 years ago

I took it twice and each
    time it was 100% mountain lodge. I thought there would at least be some contemporary. I will try it again.

• runninginplace
    15 years ago

Just took it the first time-got this result:

80% Nantucket
    20% French Eclectic

The summation was certainly spot on, and although I live within 2 miles of the ocean I don't (yet) have my home decorated completely beach-style. Someday though, someday...

Ann

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Didn't seem to matter how many times I took it: the top 2 were always Classic 1st and then French Eclectic 2nd in differing percentages each time. I'd say that is me to a T. A couple of times it threw a 3rd style way at the bottom.

The best part of the quiz? Seeing what you all were described as and having seen pics of your homes or read your suggestions! As soon as I saw Wine Country for Aunt Jen I thought 'I'm not so sure - but bang on for SW and A&C.'

• jakabedy
    15 years ago

55% Arts & Crafts
    35% Contemporary
    9% Nantucket

I think there were too many types of contemporary represented -- hard, soft, modernist, minimalist -- under the guise of "contemporary." Some I like, some I don't. So while I consider myself a contemporary fan, the quiz saw me not "love" all of them. Arts & Crafts I'll always love. But there were only, I think, two A&C photos? So that's why i scored so high on A&C, even though at least one of the photos shown was too modern of a take on A&C for me.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

won't work for me, maybe too busy?

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

Won't work for me; and after I tried, I received a bunch of email that is looking like either phishing or identity theft. Don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but I am investigating.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I would have thought I'd get a clean "Eclectic" but the difficulty for me is that while I appreciate a well designed room in many styles, I wouldn't necessarily have them in my home. For instance that white living room in the high rise building....very very modern! I'd never even consider it, but I would design that for a client :) (Mind you I don't have clients I just have imaginary ones like my old imaginary friends). I'd LOVE to do a room like that, but don't have the home to do it in.

So given all of that I'm
    50% French Eclectic (never heard of it but that's me LOL)
    33% Rustic Revival (what is that LOL)
    17% Vintage Modern...which is totally from the modern looking rooms I said were fab...I love how well they were done, but wouldn't do them in my home.

Ok now to go look at the examples :) That test is actually really fun! I think I'll book mark it and see if I'm a skitzo decorator when I take it next ;oP

• susanpn
    15 years ago

This was so much fun. First try: 60% Arts & Crafts, 40% Mountain Lodge; second try: 86% Arts & Crafts, 14% Mountain Lodge. A few different photos on second try. Overall this was HIGHLY accurate for me, especially the description of Arts & Crafts, especially the part about finding intricate details where it's least expected!
    Thanks for sharing this, very fun and also some good pictures to look at for ideas at the end when you click on your preferred style.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

This really was fun.. uh hmmm, I have taken it quite a few times because I get some different room images each time.
    And I still come up Wine Country each time. On one of them I was 100%.

• Nancy Adamopoulos
    15 years ago

That was fun!

1st time:
    40% cottage chic
    40% modern elegance
    20% asian

2nd time:
    33% cottage chic
    33% vintage modern
    33% nantucket

Cottage chic with modern elegance fits my style. I do like to throw in a few ethnic accessories(moroccan, greek, middle eastern and some asian pieces- not traditional asian but more like indonesian and indian) for some interest

• sweeby
    15 years ago

Fun quiz! The first time, mine was:

44% Mountain Lodge Style
    33% Rustic Revival
    23% Arts and Crafts

- which sounds about right for what I'm doing with this house -- but not necessarily what I like 'in the abstract'.

Second time:

50% Nantucket Style
    33% Traditional Asian
    17% French Eclectic

- which is also true! I'm very eclectic, and like what I consider to be 'good design' of almost every type.

Funny - the second time through, the 'Lodgey' rooms it showed me were both clunky and over-done. First time through, they were lovely.

• fauxchick56
    15 years ago

I only took it once and I think it's a good fit. It was fun.

33% Classic
    33% Wine Country Style
    34% French Eclectic

• alisande
    15 years ago

Well, I agree--that was fun!

First try:

43% Arts & Crafts
    29% Classic
    28% Southwestern

Second try:

67% Mountain Lodge
    17% Wine Country
    16% Nantucket

The Nantucket result must have been a carryover from my youth spent on the beaches of Long Island. The Arts & Crafts and Mountain Lodge results are quite accurate, and certainly reflect at least parts of my home--an 1850 house with a big stone fireplace and exposed wood all over the place.

Susan

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Aha! Using the Love it Or Hate It on the right side of the screen to point out specifics, I came out to what I *think* is my style - or would like to be if I had the $$. I'm 86% Arts and Crafts "You tend to prefer simple to ornate and natural materials over man-made. Warm tones found in wood and brass make you feel comfortable, and good craftsmanship excites you like nothing else.

You enjoy patterns that highlight our natural surroundings such as plants and trees. You prefer rectilinear forms and straight lines, however you love to find intricate details (ooooh, stained glass!) where you least expect it."

Especially since it seems like I don't like WTs at all! And I've bought very ornate patterned (though tone-on-tone) drapes for LR and DR thinking they were my "formal" rooms so should have heavy drapes, plus I want to screen out strong light not to change color of BC floor and leather sofa. Maybe they'll look OK hung high on simple rods, no valance (at least in LR)?

14% "French Eclectic"? Never thought of that, though I do like fine antiques, I'm not really comfortable with them in my house. But the part about "French Eclectic somehow manages to be both formal and casual, classy and unassuming at the same time. You like your spaces to feel inviting from the moment you (or your guest) opens the front door and this feeling should continue even after you've entered your most formal room...the rustic country elements provide a balance and warmth that seems to say, "come in, relax and stay a while." Your love of antiques leads you to flea markets, garage sales and hours of eBay hunting." is right on!

• susan1208
    15 years ago

I had fun and dont know if it is right or not. I don't believe I have one style.

67% Modern Elegance
    33% Classic

100% Confused (lol)

Susan

• timber.j
    15 years ago

I am 80% Arts and Crafts and 20% Cottage Chic. Which sounds about right.

• Boopadaboo
    15 years ago

I took the test three times and each time came up with mostly wine country. First time I have ever heard of that style.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I think it's also called Old World. I seem to be that almost exclusively, however while I like the rooms they showed tremendously, I did not care for the shopping choices at the end. Too faux Tuscan.

• caliloo
    15 years ago

What a fun quiz! Thanks for posting it. I think it was pretty accurate describing my preferences...

57% Arts and Crafts
    29% Mountain Lodge Style
    14% Wine Country Style

Alexa