SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwer2007

How do you deal with GC mistakes?

eleena
11 years ago

Just curious.

I am not happy with his business model. He assigns tasks to his people in the morning and then leaves for the day (or a good portion of it). Most of his folks have no decision making power or qualification and, most of the time, do not know the ultimate outcome and/or what's involved. IME, that is not good. Keeping employees informed and involved really pays off.

I have to "hoover" all day long instead of going to work. I find the entire process pretty inefficient. If his "guys" did not understand the task and I tell them to do something differently, it often comes to a stand-still till the boss shows up. IDK if having ADD is a job prerequisite but half of what we discuss each morning before the work starts gets "forgotten" or misinterpreted. Writing it down has no effect.

The mishaps are accumulating and are costing me, both in terms of $$$ and my time that I have to take off work. Seriously, I won't be surprised to find on Monday that I do not have a job after not showing up today - again - b/c he left w/o telling me he was leaving and did not come back when his guys expected him, so I waited for him all day.

B/c of all the delays, I have a very tight timeline and it was imperative to have a piece completed this week before the next stage could start.

The quality of work is good, for most part, but not spectacular.

Also, I have heard from many *trusted individuals* that there is a psychological factor at play. They simply don't like taking orders from a woman and it is cultural where we live. When DH shows up, they treat him differently even though he doesn't know a thing as I have been the one doing everything for this remodel. And I am not rude or bossy, trust me, but I insist that things should be done in a certain way that is sometimes different from what they are used to. BTW, I have this forum to blame for that, LOL.

The next stage will be carried out by a kitchen company but the GC has to come back for additional "general" work after that. I am tempted to call it a day and find somebody else. However, I know from experience that it is next to impossible to find someone truly better around here. My previous GC was even less involved.

Should I just bite the bullet and overlook a few $$$ (that are summing up to $$$$) or look for someone else? I have read stories a lot worse than mine here on GW, so I am wondering if I should lower my expectations?

WWYD? Any words of wisdom?

Comments (8)