SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohmarti

All you awesome seamstresses out there - help please with window

OhMarti
10 years ago

I posted earlier and my post may have gotten lost in all the fun everyone has out here! I'll try again and pair down the details.

I am planning on sewing some draperies with a ruched/smocked heading for the windows in my master suite.

The first picture is my inspiration that this CAN BE done - I just have to figure out how. The rest of the pics are the fabric I want to use as well as the lawout of my master suite (Ruched burgundy over tone-on-tone gold stripe). If you hover over the pictures, it will define where the windows are in the space. I may use the vine fabric to make scarfs - but that may be TOO over the top (no pun intended!).

Regarding the piecing of the ruched fabric to the flat fabric, it seems like I should sew between the lines of ruching on the flat part of the fabric, stretching the elastic as I go, and once it is seamed, the ruching will draw up the flat tone-on-tone panels, making them fuller. Would you agree? I think I will have them puddle a tiny bit so if the puckering draws the fabric up, it won't look uneven along the bottom edge.

Regarding the lining (thermal as I have west and south facing windows), I assume I should just let it lie loosely against the puckered fabric - i.e. not stretching it again for the lining? Does this make sense to do it this way?

I think I will use sewn on rings that I will attach to a traverse rod as my windows are quite large. In addition to the lining in the header, do you think I should also use buckram for more body?

Thanks for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Master Bedroom Windows

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH