SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spendar_gw

New construction screened porch help please...

spendar
17 years ago

Hi all, we're in the process of building a house (actually got in on the project about 2/3 of the way done) and are trying to finalize decisions for our 10x16 north facing, 2nd story screened porch. The railing was done and has been primed and individual screen panels will be installed for a tight screen. However, we still need to decide on the flooring, screen door, and stairs finish.

1. Currently floor is plywood and they were going to lay in/out carpet which I can't stand. Due to overages in flooring/granite/lighting/etc inside the house (ugh)... we can't afford to lay deck wood or tile porch right now and were considering just having them lay a good grade of plywood and painting or staining and polying it. Any thoughts on this or other suggestions?

2. Screen door: Builder suggests metal door as he says wood won't hold up to kids, etc... I don't like the look of metal and would like a wood door with similar railing look to rest of porch. Lowes has something not too costly but screen is put in with spline and seems loose to me. Any ideas on how this can be tighter, held in better? Can you still use pneumatic closer, lever type handles, etc... on wood door or does it have to be pull handle and spring? What about the durability of wood door?

3. Stairs are being built with pressure treated wood (no idea of type) and because porch has already been primed and won't be natural, I don't want to leave stairs natural as I think they will look like an afterthought. Builder says painting stairs is not a good idea. So what about painting the railing and spindles the same as the porch for a consistent look, but staining the treads for better durability?

I know I've asked a lot and I greatly appreciate any advice you can offer.

Comment (1)