SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

straight stitches not straight!

14 years ago

I was piecing for my class quilt tonight and noticed my stitches. They aren't perfectly straight, each one of them has a little slant or "twist". The chain goes in a straight line (well, as straight as I can sew anyway), but the stitches themselves aren't perfectly straight. From what I can tell online, this is not a machine malfunction. It is the result of using the wrong thread/needle for the material. They say to use a lighter thread and smaller needle to help solve the problem... which isn't really a problem but just something I don't think looks very good. I've read that using universal needles can cause the problem, so I need to get what's called a sharp needle instead. Since I'm just getting into sewing/quilt making I've never purposefully shopped for needles and thread. I'm just using some white cotton/polyester thread that I've had since I was a teenager. I'm using the needle that came with the machine... it's got a red top, but I don't know what kind it is. I changed it with the spare, so it's a new needle, but still the same kind that I got with the machine.

What kind of needle and thread do you think would best help to alleviate this problem? Do you think this is something that Joann's would have, or should I just order online somewhere?

I've read that straight stitch machines don't do this as much, but my all metal straight only antique also does this. I looked back at some stitches that I made when I first got this machine last September and it's done it all along, I just haven't paid much attention to it.

I'm going to link to an article I found on the subject. My stitches look just like the ones in the drawing in the article. I did read the article, and plan to do what it says, but just wondered if any of you here with real world experience had any advice on this subject.

Also, what is your best advice for sewing in a perfectly straight line (this is a separate thing, not related to the stitching question above)? I try really hard to keep the edge of the fabric lined up with the presser foot, but sometimes, it disappears under the presser foot or I see more to the right side of the presser foot than I should as I'm sewing and the result is a line of stitching that isn't perfectly straight. I start out in the right place, but by the end of the block, I've veered off the path a little. I seem to do better at a medium speed than a super slow or fast speed. Do you think that increasing or decreasing the presser foot pressure would help maintain a more even seam?

Here is a link that might be useful: article

Comments (15)